“Overcharge”
Review of Hotel Shelley

Hotel Shelley
Ranked #83 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 13 February 2007

Having travelled worldwide, I can put up with inconveniences to a point, and the Hotel Shelley falls within that tolerable parameter. However, I booked the room from Expedia for two nights at $69 per night. The taxes and fees were over $22 per night. Expedia charged my credit card $182.82 for the two nights at the Shelley. The taxes are purported to be 13% plus a $5.00 resort fee. $22 covers that and then some. When I checked out, I was told I owed a $5.00 resort fee plus 13% tax on the $5.00 resort fee for a total of $5.65 or $11.30 for the two nights. Bottom line: I paid $28 in taxes and fees per night for a $69 per night room! Thank God I did 't use the hotel open bar or minibar in my room. I probably would have paid for items I didn't use and ended up paying $69 in incidentals for a $69 room! I've stayed at various hotels in Miami Beach many times (booked by myself as well as with Expedia) and this was the first experience of this kind concerning an overcharge. Expedia said they didn't get any of the $28 per night, apologized and gave me a $25 credit on my next booking with them. It won't be with the Shelley!

Stayed: February 2007
Write a ReviewReviews (1,612)

Reviewed 10 February 2007

I couldn't get an airport area room after Super Bowl, so Hotwire put me at the Shelley for $80 night incl fees. I then read the reviews and expected the worst. In fact, the room was very nice though not for businessmen: no coffee maker or sitting desk ( but three boxes of condoms!) I was in the back so noise wasn't an issue. The breakfast is minimal, but the happy hour is a nice bonus (if you don't mind the barmaid loudly proclaiming that her tip for free drinks should be the full price we would have otherwise paid!) Parking is public, around the corner for $1 per hour. I suppose I could have had problems if I were closer to the lobby, but as it was the stay was fine and I would go back as long as I could get the same room.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank coachhouse
Reviewed 16 January 2007

I wish I had read the reviews here before I stayed at Hotel Shelly last Summer. Like other guests have written, there is a total noise in the lobby. It's impossible to speak to the person at the front desk, when trying to check in.

The hall leading to the room is pitch dark, only lit by the emergency ligths (thank God there was no emergency, I wouldn't have been able to find my way out!). Last but not least, I was charged 25 bucks extra, after I got home - no mention of this when I checked out. And I had taken absolutely nothing out of the minibar, I'm just guessing that it was that they charged me for. I guess they figured they could get away with it, as I checked out and went back home to Denmark. However, I made my bank decline that transaction.

I would definitely not recommend this hotel to others, despite it looking very nice on the website!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank DanishTravel
Reviewed 15 January 2007

The bar is noisy at night but the breakfast is great. The location is excellent for South Beach. Check with the desk about parking before you arrive and try to get there in the morning as it is not so busy. The price is great for South Beach and the room decor is well done. My wife and I will stay again.

Stayed: January 2007
Reviewed 15 January 2007

I stayed here with my boyfriend in the sumeer for my birthday for a week. The hotel did not start my mood off well, The receptionist was really nice and helpful, the hall was dark, at first i thought the lights were not working but it was just dark. Our room was ok it was a lil small but ok. The location is great near everything which was nice. All i can say IS dont bring your children here 0-7 years as it can get very noisy.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 January 2007

My girlfriend and i stayed there in Jan 2007.
NO JOKE: DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU LIKE TO SLEEP AT NIGHT.

Loud music plays 24 hours a day in the lobby. This "hotel", and I use this term loosely, has terribly thin walls, you hear techno music all day and night (not a lie), and there are people there hanging out all day and night making noise and carrying on all night.

We stayed 5 days. In 5 days I had 4 towels on day 1, 1 towel on day 2, no towels on day 3, and had to go to the front office to get towels on the last days of my trip. THERE ARE NO CLOSETS IN THE ROOM I STAYED IN (1ST FLOOR), THE KING SIZE BED TAKES THE ENTIRE ROOM UP, THERE IS ***NO*** SPACE IN THESE ROOMS!

The mini bar comes with a inventory sheet that I reviewed when i checked in, and it was WAY off. They indicated that I should have certain amounts of alcohol (for example: 2 mini rum, 2 mini vodka, 2 mini whiskey), this was wrong...which if i did not correct, would have cost me $20 in alcohol charges when I check out.
IF YOU STAY, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU CHECK THIS INVENTORY BEFORE YOU STAY.

I swear I felt like i was in a different world when i stayed there, and it will be SO good to sleep in my own bed and not hear techno from 11:30 PM - 4:00 AM....

MY RATING: D-

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2006

Yes, very loud music, when you enter the lobby, so loud that we could hardly check in..., but music was not turned off, so we had to yell to each other - but this we expected a bit.
No one never was at the reception during evening hours, since staff was sitting outside and cutting their nail in the guest area! Phone was broken, but I think they never would have heard it. So I had to go down always when I wanted to ask something (e.g. if they have some towels because we did not have them on the second night anymore in the room) - and to look for someone who could help me... because: staff was sitting in the outside guest area! Phone was not repaired. Rooms were okay but had about 10 cm space above the door! Clima was not working well.

I travel a lot, I know lots of good and bad hotels, but this kind of untrained, unexperienced, impolite, not helpful staff I never, never experienced in the past. I cannot recommend the Shelley hotel, better spend 10 bugs more per night and have better trained staff.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple