“Reality Show Woes”

Ranked #87 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Florida
“Reality Show Woes”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Let me start by saying I would have given this hotel a higher rating had it not been for the inconvenience of a reality show being filmed in the hotel which caused several issues during our stay. The hotel itself was nice, except it is a little weird to have to go through a sushi restaurant to get to your room. But as far as South Beach location goes, this is a great spot.

We booked a girls weekend trip for my bachelorette party. I was not the planner so the cost is something I am unable to speak to. Upon our arrival, the valet was HORRIBLE but it turns out they are an outside company. The hotel was very apologetic and even comped the valet fees due to the poor experience so we were quite satisfied with that. The room was nice, decorated very nicely, with great water pressure in the shower unlike the majority of SoBe hotels. There was a large window in the shower that let in far too much light in the AM after a late night, but other than that the room was fine.

The main problem was the reality tv show they were filming. We were at the rooftop pool (which is amazing) and ended up having to leave because they are filming some idiotic reality show for the CW. The show's crew was incredibly rude and basically acted like paying guests were an inconvenience. It was a major bummer for us because the rooftop was great. There are beds around the pool, and music playing, and a poolside bar that also has good food. Several other instances of filming around the hotel were a problem as well. Another thing that was so upsetting was the fact that the friend who planned the trip spoke to the hotel 3 times in the booking process and was NEVER told about the filming. Fair warning would have been appreciated.

The best part of the hotel was Robert on the Rooftop! He was GREAT! If you were to look up "great customer service representative" in the dictionary I am pretty sure you would find his picture. He is by far the best thing the Catalina has to offer. Take some time to chat with him, he's a great person!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amanda C
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Good Afternoon Amanda,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am sorry to read that you had a bad experience with the valet service, but I am glad that hotel took care of the parking fee's for you to compensate for the negative experienced! In regards to the shooting of the show, I apologize that you had to experience that!! You should have gotten a warning about this. I will personally speak with Robert to let him know of your kind praise! He works extremely hard to get the kind feedback that he gets. Thank you so much once again for all of your constructive feedback!

Katrine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
New Milford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights and were very happy with the overall experience. Food at both restaurants was good, two very different types of pools, beach access very close and within walking distance or a short cab ride to main strip. Staff were very friendly and shuttle from and to airport is an added bonus if traveling that way as a car seems to be more of an issue than a benefit with the parking situation all around the area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Good Afternoon Glenn,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback for all of our future guests to read. I am glad to read that you were happy with your stay! All of our guests that travel by plane love our R/T shuttle from Miami International Airport. You save $35, and who doesn't love to save money?? :) We hope to see you again sometime soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2012

First let me say that the room was ok, could do with a refurb but was clean. The shower was awful, hardly any pressure so it would take double the amount of time to have a normal shower!!! Also be aware that the hotel has three separate buildings, the main catalina hotel in the middle and another one to the right above a grill type restaurant and another called the Dorset to the left above a Sushi restaurant. This i find confusing to find our room!! The valet service was horrendous!!! we arrived and there was a guy there called James who had the personality of a doormat! totally unhelpful and did not care about looking after the hotels guests at all. When we was due to check out of the hotel we asked for a car and it took them over 45 minutes to get our car back! We was waiting outside the whole time thinking it would be fast btu instead took which felt like forever for the car to return! Please bare in mind that we got this horrendous service at the cost of $32 per night for valet! My advice is steer clear!! Also please be aware that this hotel makes it sound like they have a great position on the beach, which is ok but you only get 2 beds BUT not an umbrella! If you want this then it will cost you $15 on top of what you have already paid to stay in this shambles of a place!!

My advice would be don't bother and stay somewhere else! It ended up costing us nearly $500 for 2 nights including valet which if we never basically went mental at the reception we would of not got the valet charge refunded.

A valuable lesson learned here.......Pay the extra and stay somewhere with a much better star rating!

Good luck if you dare!!!

Room Tip: Rooms to the East look over Collins ave! As far as i could make out rooms everywhere else look into...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Patch1985
Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for taking your time to respond to us with your honest feedback! In regards to the valet service- I am going to personally speak with the company that we are using. Customer service is key and if he cannot provide that to our guests we need someone else there. I will make sure that this never happens again! About the beach chairs and umbrellas- that is included in the price of your $15 resort fee- which also includes, complimentary beach cruisers, complimentary wi-fi, complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8PM, R/T shuttle from Miami International Airport. and many other great amenities!!!! Each room gets 2 beach chairs and towels. If you wanted to rent the chairs from the beach it would cost you $30 for 2 beach chairs. Thank you so much again for your feedback!

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Rockland, Maine
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This very funky, upbeat hotel was perfect for our South Beach experience. The prices are great, the room was fantastic, the location was excellent and the restaurant was yummy. We stayed on the fourth floor with our own balcony over Collins Ave. Room was clean and the staff could not have been any nicer.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amalfime
Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am extremely glad to hear that you had a blast while staying with us!! We hope to see you soon!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed at the hotel 2 nights. Hotel is composed of 3 adjacent building and all looked hip and boutique style. The building's front were all restaurants and was a bit confusing how to approach the "lobby" in the beginning. wifi was included and was quick! The bamboo pool was cool and employees attentive. Our room was clean and modern looking. My favorites from staying at the hotel? cool bed frame, ultra-modern furnitures at lobby/room, bamboo pool, plastic surgery haven hanging at the hotel/pool/lobby areas! The bad....tiles on bathroom are very slippery when wet, very cute but small elevator, parking was only available to valet (no temporary parking for people to check in!

Room Tip: park at 16th and collins for overnight parking.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback for all of our future guests to read! I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! Glad to hear that you were able to hang out by the pool and catch some rays with eye candy around you to look at! :) The valet service should allow you to park while checking- in! I have personally spoken with them to make sure that they are aware of that. We hope to see you again soon!

O'Fallon, Missouri
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My wife and I travelled to Miami for the Cardinals/Marlins game. We used Priceline to get a room at Catalina for $120 a night. That doesn't factor in the ~$50/day that you'll pay for parking and "resort fee."

We tried to check-in early but our room wasn't ready. Was told that they'd call when ready. No call, so I called them and was told it was ready.

The hotel is 3 buildings. Our room was in the Maxibe building. We had to walk through a restaurant every time we wanted to enter/exit the hotel.

The wifi, part of the $15/day fee, was slower than 3G on my iPhone 4S.

The room was very strangely decorated. The bathroom was one big room - no separation on the shower. It reminded me of a locker room.

For breakfast, we got 2 muffins and a coffee from the bar in the lobby. We were charged a mandatory 18% gratuity for the bartender to do nothing more than take the muffins out of the case. Paid $10.

Later, during checkout, my wife went to the aforementioned bar to get us each a cup of water. She was told that she could only have one water, and I'd have to get my own when I was done checking out. Why? I already tipped her $2 that morning for nothing.

The bed and pools were the only redeeming qualities.

Overall, our trip to Miami was a let-down, largely in part to Catalina.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank scottzee
Good Afternoon Scott,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! In regards to parking, there are several different places to park- besides the hotel. Our valet service is $32 per night with as many in's and out's as you'd like. There is street parking for $1.00 per hour. There are also parking lots and garages all around the hotel and their prices vary between $10-$40 without any in's and out's. The front desk attendant should have called you on the number that you provided them when the room was ready. Perhaps the number that was given to them was incorrect. I have personally spoken with the front desk manager so they can make sure that all front desk attendants are doing there jobs. We were experiencing issues with the internet that was out of our control. AT&T was out to fix it and the internet is running great now. I would love to offer you a complimentary 1 night stay to use in the future so that you can come back and experience The Catalina without any issues or inconveniences. Please let me know if you would like to take that offer by contacting me directly at: catalinamarketing@southbeachgroup.com.

gndesign12@aol.com
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I had the priviledge of staying at this lovely modern hotel during the WMC 2012. I truely had a wonderful time during my stay. The staff (hotel and restaurant) were very friendly. They were always smiling and they all want you to have a great time while in Miami Beach. Having three different restaurants on premises was very convenient. I didn't have to go anywhere to eat. My room was clean, spacious with a modern twist and have a view of the pool. The bathroom was standard and I love those overhead rain showers. Towels were very soft and well stocked. My bed was very comfortable and it had lots of soft pillows. There is a mini bar but opted not to use it.
I would definitely come back to this hotel. There's even a shuttle that picks and drop you to the airport. I found that out on the day I was leaving which I had already made reservations with another shuttle company. Check out their other great amenities.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo