“Dirty hotel and inconvenienced by Reality show being filmed”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #89 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights just last week. I don't have eought space here to list all of my complaints about this hotel, so I will stick with the top issues. First of all, while our room, which was in the Maxine building was updated and appeared to be clean on the surface, was completely disgusting with a closer look. The hallways are dark and musty smelling, you can barely see the person next to you in the hall. There were tiny black and red bugs all over the bathroom, including on the towels, which are stored under the sink on a rack. We called the front desk, who send a guy with some bug spray to our room, and he just sprayed the corners around the floor. Needless to say, the bug never left. I kept taking our towels off the covered cart in the hallway because there weren't bugs in those. 2 of the original 'clean' towels left for us in the bathroom looked at is they had been used by someone with heavy makeup, then just folded up and left for the next guest. The bed sheets appeared to be clean, the bed was comfortable...probably the only plus to our stay here. The second day there, we noticed the little bugs on the dresser that they have the mini bar and snack tray stored on. When I called the front desk to request another room, we were told there weren't any rooms in our building and we would have to move to another building that didn't have updated bathrooms...don't get me started on those. All I can say is, our friends were in one of those, and the bathrooms were dirty, tile and grout stained, and it smelled like sewage.
Second issue...the parking. When we booked this hotel almost 6 months ago, they advertised $25 parking/ night. When we got there, we were greeted with valet only at $32/ night as our only option. Ridiculous. Bait and switch.
Third issue...they are filming a reality show for the CW at this hotel. In the lobby we were met by a lobby FULL of camera, people with headsets on, etc. We would not have been able to use the lobby even if we wanted to. We actually had one girl that was helping film shoosh us to be quiet. They are filming the staff here who are a bunch of obnoxious and slutty looking little teenage girls who are rude to the guests and are trying to act as cute as they can for the cameras. We were bombarded by clip boards in our face with them trying to get us to sign papers so they could film us throughout our stay, otherwise they would have to search for us in clips to blur our faces...poor them. I declined just to spite them. We were not allowed to use the rooftop pool during our stay, or the other side of the roof with the lounge chairs. The staff from the series had completely taken it over and the hotel had placed 'pool closed' signs all around the roof by the entrance. We were only 'allowed' to use the bamboo pool...paying guests feeling as if they are in jail.
DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. BEWARE! Dirty, rude, complete bait and switch!

Room Tip: If you want an updated bathrooms, even though they all have bugs, stay in the Maxine building. The o...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank AmandaM333
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Good Afternoon Amanda,

Thank you so much for taking your time to provide us with your honest feedback!
I am extremely sorry to hear that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us!
In regards to the customer service that you were given when you called the front desk for assistance with the insects- I am going to personally speak with the front desk manager to make sure that staff is aware of how to handle situations and to make sure that they are giving our guest only the most amazing customer service.
We are currently working on adding lighting to the hallways and we are doing odor eliminating procedures to make sure that all hallways smell great!
I apologize greatly about the shooting of the show.
I would love to offer you a complimentary 1 night stay to use in the future, so that you can come back and experience what The Catalina is like without any issues or inconveniences.
Please let me know if you would like that and I will send over a gift certificate immediately.

Katrine

Write a ReviewReviews (4,784)

Reviewed 9 April 2012

We were a family of 4 adults staying for 5 nights in the Maxine building. Overall, it served its purpose well. The proximity to the beach and thethe rest of SoBe was excellent and the beach club was great. The room was a tight squeeze for 4 adults, and the bathroom would have been small for even 2 adults. But our room was very quiet in the back of the hotel, and the tempurpedic beds made for a great night's sleep. Probably would not stay again, but for the money and location it was a good value.

• Stayed: April 2012
5  Thank ebra17

Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I would love for you to give us another try the next time you are on South Beach. Please let me know if you ever plan to come to Miami again and I will make sure that you get the best!! :)

Reviewed 8 April 2012

This hotel is actually two buildings managed together very close to 'the action' of South Beach.

Location is great. One block away from the beach and close walking distance to all the bars and restaurants.

I checked in, with two colleagues, as we were in miami for the weekend and did not want to stay close to the airport.

This is a hotel ideal for young couples wanting to party; probably less so for a group of business colleagues.

When we checked in, we were welcomed by a TV crew filming a reality show "The Catalina". We were asked if we wished to join the show.

There is no parking, so you either valet park (USD 32 per night) or find parking yourself.

Check in was efficient, if a little impersonal.

The rooms were in a separate building. They are large enough and comfortable. The shower and sink is clearly designed for a "Beach hotel", tiled and actually part of the bedroom.

The snack and mini-bar selection is the best I have ever seen in a hotel; clearly designed for partying.

TV was the usual multi-channel flat screen US TV.

We found the rooms a little noisy, with partygoers returning up until 0400 am.

The second night we were there, the TV

Overall, the hotel was clean and efficient. We found it better for young couples than business stays and we also found the service a little impersonal.

Room Tip: The third floor is a little quieter
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Mark H

Good Afternoon Mark from Thailand :) ,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! Sounds to me like you had an overall good time with us! We look forward in having you stay with us again sometime soon!!

Have an amazing day!

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed at the Catilina Maxine, we were directed to our room, this proved to be the wrong one ! We then moved to the "up-graded" room in the Maxine.
This was supposed to be a family room as there were two adults and two teenage children.
We were very disappointed with the size of the room and the cramped conditions, the room was cleaned and towels changed infrequently. Opening the curtains, we looked out on the building site next door and the rear of a building to the back.
Staff were not friendly and it seemed at times too much trouble to attend to us!
Breakfasts were expensive.
We had visits from cockroaches both in the bathroom and bedroom areas, not good at all !!
Location was the best feature as you are in the centre for all things but overall very, very disappointing and we will not recommend this hotel to any of our friends who are due to visit soon.

Room Tip: Don't stay there, choose another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Rob D

Good Afternoon Rob,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am extremely sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us! I am going to personally speak with the managers of all departments to make sure that all employee's are aware of the customer service that we provide to our guests! I would love for you to come back and experience The Catalina without any issues or inconveniences. Please contact me personally at: catalinamarketing@southbeachgroup.com and I will send you a gift certificate for a complimentary 1 night stay.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

"I've been going to Miami Beach since 1982 and I just had my best time! Thanks to the awesome staff. Everyone there, 'Thanks!' Shuttle to and from! Happy Hour 7-8pm. Bikes. Pools. Action. Drinking. Dancing. Drinking. Pooling. Swimming. Biking. Shopping. Dining. Drinking. Next day: Do it again! I Love Miami Beach and I Love this hotel for making my trip to South Beach exactly what a Miami Beach Experience should be! My Wife loved it! Romantic. Sunny. Just right. As I've said, I've been coming here for a long time and where the hotel is located on South Beach is the perfect location: If you bike, as close to the most awesome bike path ever; very beginning of Lincoln Road for shopping; just above Ocean Drive; and One block from the Atlantic. I like things a little 'hipper' and this hotel has created a very comfortable laid back but efficient atmosphere. I just really like their presentation. Thanks again to all. I'd advise staying here. Go with the flow. Remember, 'I'm in Miami Beach'."

Room Tip: Get the Penthouse with the Deck, Man!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Good Afternoon James,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am glad to read that you had the best time while staying with us! :) Did you enjoy drinking for free for 1 hour? :) Most of our guests love that one hour!! :) Sounds to me, like you took full advantage of Miami Beach and had an awesome time!!! That's what it's all about!

Reviewed 7 April 2012

This is my second time staying at the Catalina. Once was 6 years ago. It is a decent place for the money, pool, happy hour, great rooms, great area. The only thing is the common area decor and carpeting is literally out of the seventies - shag carpeting, eclectic, white leather. Dark hallways. This is pretty much how it was 6 years ago as well. I never felt in danger or anything like that though.
The rooms themselves I would say are ABOVE PAR - and much better than you would expect when first entering the lobby. Tempurpedic mattresses, rainmaker shower heads, finished wood floors, mini-fridge, robes, classy and thought-out decor. I travelled by myself to Miami at the last minute and only stayed at the Catalina one night. I paid under $100 for a budget room and was upgraded immediately to the "Rock" room. Large - 2 double beds, desk. Felt very nice for the price, and I really appreciated the upgrade. Though be aware these ROCK rooms are pretty much attached to the bar which is open to 4am, and the pool area which (which closes at dusk). Even though I am older (42) I still enjoyed and was able to sleep.
They also had bikes available to borrow between 10am and 6pm which was great when I just wanted to cruise the area without having to kill my legs and feet (which I eventually did at night anyway!).
The resort fee of $15 covered the bikes whether you use them or not, as well as happy hour. The prices here were so low I didn't complain about the resort fee. Apparently the resort fee represents a portion of the room you DONT have to pay tax on, so that is their way of getting the value of the room, and you getting to pay less room tax.
The location is truly across Collins Drive to the beach. The hotel lends out towels and chairs but it was so freakin' windy (30 mph) that I just walked the beach quickly.
You are also quite close to Lincoln Rd which is the upscale eating and shopping area. I felt safe walking around both day and night.
Getting to Ocean Drive and the party scene was a decent 10-15 min walk. I've stayed before down 15th St, 10th St and 7th Street and I can say I 17th St is one of the better areas, especially if you are all set with the drunken crowds of twenty-somethings. Catalina is up near Delano and other high-end ocean front resorts so you get a different crowd.
The airport flyer let me off at 18th st - so for $2.40 I got from the airport to my hotel in about 20min. I didn't bother waiting for the hotel shuttle which is free, because it was in a separate part of the airport from the rest of the ground transport, and it doesn't run as frequently as the flyer. Theres no way to know when the next one is coming, and how many hotels it has to stop at before it gets to yours.
I found the hotel service to be decent, though it was a slow day. Concierge was a little slow but someone else immediately stepped in to make sure I was ok. Valet and bell-hops were great.
They have a great little breakfast bar with Starbucks coffee and snacks (which you pay for).
I was thinking of staying another night, and saw a rate of $69 on the Catalina website for the "It's a small world" room. I waited till noon day of to decide, and then it was gone. I did stay another night in the area at the Beach Plaza for $99, and I have to say, Catalina was far superior in every way.
Overall great place for what I spent. I would spend up to $150 for one of the larger rooms if I were sharing, $125 for single. More than that I'd stay at one of the more budget places, and spend more time shopping and on the beach.
Enjoy!

Room Tip: young party people will love the rock rooms, everyone else ask for other rooms
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Good Afternoon Betti,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read. We are working on changing the carpet at the moment as well as adding more lighting to the guest rooms and the hallways. Everyone loves our mattresses- how could you not! They are amazing!! :) Where did you cruise to on the beach cruiser? See anything interesting? :) We do have a $15 resort fee that is for the Wi- Fi, cocktail hour from 7-8PM, beach chairs on the beach, beach cruisers, etc. I am very glad to hear that overall you had a great stay and time!! We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 7 April 2012

Let me start by saying I would have given this hotel a higher rating had it not been for the inconvenience of a reality show being filmed in the hotel which caused several issues during our stay. The hotel itself was nice, except it is a little weird to have to go through a sushi restaurant to get to your room. But as far as South Beach location goes, this is a great spot.

We booked a girls weekend trip for my bachelorette party. I was not the planner so the cost is something I am unable to speak to. Upon our arrival, the valet was HORRIBLE but it turns out they are an outside company. The hotel was very apologetic and even comped the valet fees due to the poor experience so we were quite satisfied with that. The room was nice, decorated very nicely, with great water pressure in the shower unlike the majority of SoBe hotels. There was a large window in the shower that let in far too much light in the AM after a late night, but other than that the room was fine.

The main problem was the reality tv show they were filming. We were at the rooftop pool (which is amazing) and ended up having to leave because they are filming some idiotic reality show for the CW. The show's crew was incredibly rude and basically acted like paying guests were an inconvenience. It was a major bummer for us because the rooftop was great. There are beds around the pool, and music playing, and a poolside bar that also has good food. Several other instances of filming around the hotel were a problem as well. Another thing that was so upsetting was the fact that the friend who planned the trip spoke to the hotel 3 times in the booking process and was NEVER told about the filming. Fair warning would have been appreciated.

The best part of the hotel was Robert on the Rooftop! He was GREAT! If you were to look up "great customer service representative" in the dictionary I am pretty sure you would find his picture. He is by far the best thing the Catalina has to offer. Take some time to chat with him, he's a great person!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amanda C

Good Afternoon Amanda,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am sorry to read that you had a bad experience with the valet service, but I am glad that hotel took care of the parking fee's for you to compensate for the negative experienced! In regards to the shooting of the show, I apologize that you had to experience that!! You should have gotten a warning about this. I will personally speak with Robert to let him know of your kind praise! He works extremely hard to get the kind feedback that he gets. Thank you so much once again for all of your constructive feedback!

Have a wonderful day!