“Not bad for the price”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #90 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 8 November 2005

I would rate this as above average for the $. We paid something like $95 a night. Service was quick, always someone to carry your bags, and valet your car. The location was great, the room decent size. I loved the foam bed and rain simulating shower! The floor gets dirty quick due to being white. Mini-fridge was bonus for late night snacks. Good clothes storage. The room was prone to insects, not sure if its a Miami thing, or just this place, but I'm talking 2 or 3 during the stay, nothing different from a cottage on the beach. Breakfast and burgers were a bonus, like a backyard fest. OK to snack on especially since food at restaurants was outrageous. Overall a good stay for the price.

• Stayed: November 2005

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 3 November 2005

I just spent 4 nights at the Catalina for Halloween.
Reading reviews doesn’t tell you much if the reviewer doesn’t specify the kind of hotel he usually uses (someone always using 1 star hotels will not rate a 2 star hotel the same way as someone using 5 stars!). I travel worldwide for work throughout the year usually in 4 or 5 stars hotels. For pleasure I usually try to stay in nice boutique hotels for something different.
This time I didn’t want to spend a lot of money and decided to stay in a hip boutique hotel such as the Catalina hotel. The web page looked pretty good and the reviews were not bad. I was expecting a hip version of something like the Marriott Courtyard, cheap ($140), clean and simple but hip on the top of all.
Check-in was already an experience with a lady full of hamburger smell attending us (she was eating a burger in the back room and between 2 bits she would work a little), not really hip! We received our room but someone was already in it! Back to front desk for another room. Got it but it was really DIRTY. I asked for another room. This time the guy at front desk was very helpful and did show us different rooms. They were pretty much all VERY DIRTY, I almost moved to another hotel but they insisted for me to stay and found us a room that was cleaner than what I have seen. We stayed there, pretty much just to sleep, I have to say not very enjoyable since everything is or looks so dam DIRTY. Once the room is even DIRTIER they paint in white the whole room again, just on the top of the previous DIRT (we saw 2 rooms in that process, pretty funny to look at!)
Personally I wouldn’t pay more that $100 for such an hotel and wouldn’t recommend it if you are over 25 (usually by then your standards in life change!!!)

• Stayed: October 2005
new York
Reviewed 19 October 2005

I came to South Beach for the weekend with some friends hoping to relax and have some fun. Unfortunately, our hotel was a nightmare! When we checked into the hotel, the room was still dirty and the toilet was not working. We asked that the toilet be fixed. It wasn't, in fact we asked two more times and it was never fixed. On top of that, our air conditioning did not work. We woke up the next morning after a horrible night sleep and realized that the room was filled with bugs. We also found out that our friends had checked out in the middle of the night because their room was also filled with bugs. We had to pay for the night of horrific accommidations. When we came back home, we tried to contest the charges, but management would not return our calls. This was by far the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I would have rathered sleep in a youth hostel or on the beach.

Reviewed 16 October 2005

This was the worst hotel that I have ever stayed in. The Catalina Hotel makes hostels in Europe seem like 5 star hotels compared to it. This hotel has terrible customer service and disrespectful management. I went with a group of friends here last month and we had to leave the hotel at 3am because we found ants and a cockroach in our room. The rooms had extremely small bathrooms with broken toilets and a shower without a door or curtain. The pool area was decent, but did not make up for the dirty rooms. Please do not waist a penny by staying here! We left and stayed at a nice boutique hotel on Ocean Ave. and at the Ritz Carlton which were both a million times better than the Catalina Hotel and completely worth the slightly higher rate. It has now been a month since we stayed there, and we are still having problems with the management crediting our account.

1  Thank honeymoon52806
Washington DC
Reviewed 11 October 2005

I loved the energy and ambiance of this hotel. The happy hour on the weekends was great, great crowd, and music. Rooms are a nice size, and beds very comfortable. The location was amazing across the street from the Delano and Shore Club Hotels which have great night life. I will def stay at this hotel again.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 October 2005

Didn't even spend the night, left at 3 a.m. in my pajamas because of ants infesting one room, a cockroach in the other room, and a non-working toilet in my friends' room (oh yeah, there were ants in their room too), and terrible management who have not even so much as returned a phone call, have not credited us the full amount, have accused us of lying and a to top it off a rude owner "Nathan" who cut me off when informing him of his hotel's various issues and offered to treat me as a guest for a few nights. Apparently, "Nathan-The-Owner" could only offer us free nights as he did not have the authority to credit us back the full amount for a room we didn't stay in. I told him no way.

1  Thank ElizaRoseF
Durham, NC
Reviewed 20 September 2005

Me and my fiance stayed at the Catalina this past weekend, Sept. 16-18th. This has got to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. First off, walking into the hotel and checking in, all of the workers behind the front desk were sweating profusely, which should have been a sign that this can't possibly be a 4 star hotel if the workers are sweating inside the building. Then we get to our room and find that it is almost as small as a jail cell. There is no carpet in the rooms and the floors are old and cracked. The sheetrock was cracking on the walls. Also, you don't have any control over the air conditioning in the room, so we almost froze to death while we were in the room. Then, using the shower, I almost burned myself even when turning the shower knob over to the cold section. And on top of that, the shower handle came off in the shower. It was a total disaster. And, I can't forget the valet parking which was $22 a day. We were told at check-in to give them 10-15 mins. to get our rental car which was fine. But, we actually had to wait anywhere from 20-35 minutes each time we needed the car. The ONLY things that were good at this hotel were the tempur pudic mattresses. The turkey burgers, hotdogs, and regular hamburgers were pretty good at the pool. The two hour happy hour was ok as. To sum it up, there are not enough perks for me to ever choose this hotel again.