“Great Value with a Few Flaws”
Review of The Colony Hotel

The Colony Hotel
Ranked #168 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Blaine, Washington
“Great Value with a Few Flaws”
Reviewed 23 May 2012

If you're looking for a good hotel deal in the heart of Miami Beach's Art Deco District, The Colony Hotel is a find. Just beware of the lack of any counter space in the bathroom, no towel racks, no shelf in the otherwise wonderful shower for your bar of soap and shampoo, and a questionable restaurant. (Been here for two nights and have yet to see anyone drinking or dining on site.). The rooms are small but livable with clean, simple decor. The TV is almost as big as the room itself! But the front desk is helpful...albeit slow to answer the phone...and the hotel's location for the money is tough to beat. I'd stay here again -- unless I win the lottery and could afford The Ritz Carlton. Pricey valet parking at $24/nt and this is still a good value!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
zero11382, Director of Sales at The Colony Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for the honest portrayal of the property, the lack of counter space in the bathroom is something that will be corrected this summer so it will soothe your major concern, once again thank you for the review

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I stayed here, and in the blink of an eye a ring was stolen from me. I know not to travel with your most valuable items--it was more sentimental than valuable. The hotel staff was completely unprofessional, and unresponsive to the incident. When I filed a police report, and initiated an investigation--I found out I was not the only victim of this ruthless hotel. STAY AWAY, or stay at your own risk.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Erin B
zero11382, Director of Sales at The Colony Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
Dear Erin, I would implore you to contact Carrie Lage, General Manager of the Colony Hotel either at the hotel directly (305-673-0088) and ask for Carrie, or reach out to her via email at carrie@colonymiami.com - the hotel does have in its possession a ring that was found on the property and we would like to speak to you and figure out if the ring which you lost is the same one that is being held, please reach out to us at your earliest convenience.

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 May 2012

If you want to stay at a great hotel and still have enough money to live the south beach life stay here. Me and my friend went for a girls weekend (May 18-20) and we are already making plans to go back. The hotel itself has that great south beach art deco feel as soon as you walk in, but the real prize you get with this hotel is the overly amazing staff. The guys that worked up from (Rafael, Carlos, etc) are the sweetest guys in the world. They told us where to go and what to do. The room was fun and the beds were amazing (TV's are HUGE!!) but there was a slight fishy smell in the hallway on the first floor but nothing bad enough to take away from the trip. You are in the heart of south beach walking distance from everywhere and RIGHT across the street from the beach. Seriously, best hotel & staff on south beach...period.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a view, the presidental suites have windows that face the strip. The first fl...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
zero11382, Director of Sales at The Colony Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Wow thank you for the awesome review! I will print this out and give copies to staff, they really appreciate when their hard work is noticed! We hope to see you again in the near future!
Seattle
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Colony is an ICON of South Beach. With it's beach front location and it's cool blue neon you'll feel like you've really arrived. Keep in mind this hotel was built in the 40's. -It has been recently remodeled and is nice, but it still has old bones. The rooms are cute but small and bathrooms smaller. But if you're traveling on a budget, you'll be out all night partying and you just need a really convenient place to sleep a few hours a night, pack your ear plugs and stay here!
We had a great time and couldn't have had a more accommodating group of front desk staff. (fyi. The food here is only ok. Walk down the street and eat at the News Cafe or somewhere else if you can)

Room Tip: Ear plugs. Honestly we got so little sleep while we were here b/c we were out all night, but if you...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest, Thank you for the great review, and the useful tips on dining, most of us locals love the News Cafe!
Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My wife and children were there for just one night pre-cruise. My kid's mouths dropped on seeing the crowds, the beach, the decor. They thought they were in a movie set. If you've read other reviews you know that this is no luxury hotel: it's very modest. But it's got all this 1930's feel to it that makes it really fun to be there. The staff was friendly and helpful in every respect: beach towels, a place to keep bags before check-in, even umbrellas during a downpour. Rooms were fine and were a lot quieter than we expected. We were a little disconcerted to find a female guest passed out in the hallway early in the morning, but my kids thought it was funny and pinned a note to her that said "Get better friends!".
There's probably no better location on Miami Beach. We'll be back!

Room Tip: we had quieter rooms in the back.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BROC4
Dear Guest, thank you for the great review - we are pleased to hear staff was accomodating and that your family had a good time! I was concerned to read about the women passed out in the hallway, yet not surprised since you get a lot of that in South Beach - your kids have a very good humor, I could not stop laughing from reading the message they left her on the note!
Celbridge, Ireland
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I stayed here last July 2011. We stayed for 4 nights. 4 guys just there for a good time. The location is basically the only attraction to this hotel. Its right on the beach and near a lot of restaurants. But the customer service is terrible. The guy behind the desk seemed uninterested and half asleep. Theres no safe in your room either which was a big deal for us as we have passports and a lot of cash traveling from Ireland. So we had to use the safe behind reception each day which was annoying. There is no pool either although the beach is across the road. Theres a bar in the hotel but that is a complete rip off, however most things in miami are. The rooms are very small and basic. Probably wouldnt stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest, I'm sorry that the Front Desk person you encountered seemed uninterested, please contact me at sales@thekenthotel.com and let me know the details of your stay, specifically which room you were in - I'm concerned about the safe situation since all of the rooms at the property should have an In-Room safe, and from your comments yours did not seem to have one.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My friends and I booked two rooms there over this past weekend for an event that was happening on South Beach. We checked in on Thursday, and by Saturday there still hadn't been any housekeeping! We had to specifically request for someone to clean our rooms, which is unacceptable in itself. We also had to seek out housekeeping daily for clean towels and washcloths. We also experienced a WATERBUG infestation in one of the rooms. After much complaining, we were finally moved to a room across the hall (it was our last day not to mention). In order to be moved to the other room across the hall, we had to wait for the occupants there to leave. They requested and was granted late check-out, and still hadn't left by 12:30. We had to leave our bags with the front desk clerk, who was very helpful by the way, because they ( the occupants) were not adhering to any time constraints. On our last day, given all the trouble we'd encountered, plus a long night before, we requested a late check-out. I was told that I could not have a late check-out and that we needed to be gone by 11:00am! He said that people were waiting and he could not accommodate us. But we had to wait for the prior occupants because they had been accommodated. What was the difference? We were waiting on their room, but they were not rushed. And we should not have been either. Perhaps the most disturbing, was the behavior of the General Manager, Carrie Lage. On the only day that we received housekeeping, our event tickets were STOLEN from our room! When I bought this to the attention of the front desk clerk, he called the housekeeper who denied it obviously, and then the General Manager. The manager, Carrie Lage, informed the front desk that she would not refund our money for the tickets and also expressed her disbelief in our credibility! I could not make this up. I asked to speak with her via telephone since she was already speaking to the clerk. She said that she couldn't speak to me because she was busy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I asked when she would be returning so that I could discuss this with her in person, and I was told the next day from 9-5pm. (Oh, let's not forget to add that the police were called to the hotel and a police report was taken.) I left the hotel right before 1pm the following day, but before I did I requested to speak with Ms. Lage. I was told she was not there yet (I believe she was in the hotel now, due to what happens later). I was then told that she came in at 3pm and left at 5pm. She had not tried to address this serious matter that happened in her hotel at all. On our final day, at check-out, I tried to speak to her one last time. The front desk clerk that was on duty that day, went to get her to come out, and he said to me verbatim, "She's not gonna talk to you about the incident that happened the other day." I asked him to repeat it because I could not believe my ears. So I asked him if she specifically said that she had no intention of talking to a guest that may have had a crime happen to them, and he said, "Yes." No one could furnish me with any information for her boss. I am going to report this hotel to the Better Business Bureau, the Chamber of Commerce, and whomever else needs to be notified about the egregious behavior of this business, including but not limited to the Department of Justice. As as result of the unprofessionalism of this hotel, my friends and I had to pay a large amount at the door for the events that we planned to attend. There is NOTHING that could ever make me stay at this hotel ever again!

Room Tip: Do not stay here. Especially if you don't want your things taken or like WaterBugs!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends