“Beautiful hotel but might be slipping ....”

Delano South Beach Hotel
Ranked #42 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The Delano is an icon. It is an icon for style and scene... But service and comfort are slipping. After a 10 day trip to Costa Rica we took a layover in Miami's South Beach. Always a scene... Love to people watch and design drool. The Delano still greets with an amazing entrance... But this trip it just seemed a little faded. Snooty front desk staff seeming out out by answering questions, and noticeably worm spots in hotel and room make me think some polishing is needed. Makes me sad to stay I wish I had stayed at the Ritz where service is always consistent and your comfort their goal. Or maybe I'm just maturing.....

Room Tip: Apparently you can smoke at breakfast at this hotel. Be aware. We had a rude French woman who smo...
1  Thank CanCookWillTravel
Write a ReviewReviews (2,747)

Reviewed 19 April 2012

This is a very cool hotel. Very cool. Good service, good food and a spectacular venue, location and ambiance. You could stay the the Ritz-Carelton, the W or the Loews, but then you'd miss the essence of South Beach. The chains just cannot provide the jounrey into South Beach no matter how hard they might try. Last year we stayed at the Ritz; this year the Delano. I feel younger, hipper and much happier. Skip the Ritz; go for the glitz.

1  Thank Techvestco
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This is my favorite Miami Beach hotel. From the moment we arrived everyone was really nice and attentive. Our stay was very pleasant. Our room was very clean. Everything looks so pretty in white. They also had fun pool parties going on. I will definitely go back and stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sweethoney1624
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We went to The Delano to have a look and experience a touch of the 5 star luxury it is infamous for and to relax with a drink by the bar. . well that was plan.

On our first attempt to enter the hotel we were greeted by a burly doorman who was very picky on who he would let enter the hotel. We were dressed for the occasion with suitable evening attire and the doorman asked if we were residents at the hotel. My partner said no but we had come to have a drink at the bar - to which he said did we have a reservation - since when do you need to book a reservation to have a drink at a public bar? Since when did you need to be a resident to enter a hotel? We asked if this was hotel policy and he said it was introduced in the last few months that you were only allowed in if you were a resident or had a reservation. My partner asked why a reservation was required to drink at the bar and he said the bar is very small. He turned several guests away with his jobs worth attitude, so we left without gaining entry on that occasion.

We were actually staying at the hotel next door and enquired if they were aware of this and they said they had never heard of that. My partner even asked our concierge to ring up to ask the bar if we could come in for a drink and they said that would not be a problem.

So a few nights later we approached the hotel once more. This time there was a different person on the door and no questions asked, he opened the door for us and let us through.

On entering the lobby of the hotel you walk in to a calming tranquil area with long white drapes floating around you and the boutique design of Philippe Starck is evident. As you pass through the lobby and walk pass the Rose Bar and the Bianca Restaurant you are greeted by the infamous infinity pool surrounded by tall palm trees which line your path through to the Beach Bar.

The bar itself is small although there is plenty of outdoor seating and beds for you to relax on. The bar staff were efficient and when I asked for a vodka I was offered a selection to choose from although I wouldn't say they went out of their way to wow me. As I was having a drink with my partner, we were taking photos of each other - it would have been nice if one of the bar staff who were loitering around the edges offered to take our photo together, or even to ask if we wanted a refill once our drinks were finished - but we were left to our own devices.

So The Delano for me has exquisite decor, and ambiance although it didn't live up to the high expectations I had as it only takes one rotten apple to sour the experience - shame.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MonicaOr
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Thank you for such a detailed and informative review. We do promote exclusivity for our guests, however, it is important that visitors like yourself get to experience our offerings as well. I apologize that you were treated less than graciously when you approached the hotel the first time. Certainly I have addressed your concerns with our door staff.
We look forward to having you back, this time, with nothing to dilute the experience you've come to expect from Delano!

Many Thanks,

Reviewed 14 April 2012

This was our first experience at Delano. The title says it all now. Everyone was on point upon arrival. However our room was recently painted and the strong smell of paint lingered. It was not acceptable. I immediately called the front desk and what I thought would be an exercise in debates and challenges was a non-issue. Lee took the helm and ensured this error would not be a mistake. We were immediately upgraded to a Single Suite with Balcony as a comparable room was not available. Lee and his team exemplify customer service. They exceeded our expectations. "Aldo" was great with our bag. Having to move it again, he remained attentive, personable and welcoming from start to finish. "Abdel" who took care of our drinks on the beach was equally wonderful to work with. "Lauren from Michigan" who served us at the pool late at night was fun and continued to add to our experience. I wish I caught the name of the gentleman who brought us room service the morning we left. He asked how our stay was, polite small talk, ensured he pronounced my name properly. Everyone executed best practices to gain our trust. It truly speaks to Lee Greenspan's leadership and high expectations. We had dinner at Bianca. It was a fun vibe on the terrace, well serviced, the food was good. What could have been a one off experience has now turned to a commitment from our family to return. We are already scheduling our daughters 21st birthday in September at the Delano. On behalf of my family, to Lee and the Delano team, thank you.

Room Tip: Spend the extra for an ocean view as the view is excellent. Certainly a Single Suite is great as yo...
1  Thank CSwogger
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Wow! We are very glad to hear that your first experience at Delano was a great one. I have certainly passed along your kind words to the team members that you've mentioned. Although your stay was short, you seemed to have been able to experience most of what we have to offer... next time we'll push for at least a weekend here to be able to truly indulge!
Be sure to keep in touch, we're going to start planning for your daughter's 21st right away!

All The Best,

Reviewed 12 April 2012

I frequent the Delano a few times a year for the last 6 years and I must say they have outdone themselves. Vistied from 4/5-4/9 for family vacation and from the time my family stepped out of the taxi in front of the Delano and got back in to leave we were treated like ROYALTY. The entire staff was so pleasant and well dressed and constantly being attentive. The upgrades to the hotel deserves 2 THUMBS UP. The treatment that my family recieved at the pool was excellent. Our daily servers were always asking if we needed anything and refreshing our water and changing out our wet towels without asking. I must say it's very nice to see and talk to the VP, hotel manager and guest experience manager. They were walking around the property on a daily basis all day making sure the property is in top shape and their guest were having a wonderful time. That's rare and I must say very nice to see their faces and know that they care! I wouldn't go anywhere else in South Beach but my home...The DELANO!!! Thanks JP, Steven, Lee, front desk, housekeeping, pool staff, bellmans and concierge. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! As a guest and my personal experience at the Delano is if you need anything or have a issue during your stay do not hesitate to ask. Believe me they WILL take care of it. See ya soon DELANO :)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Scharline

Thank you for the great review! You are always a pleasure to have here and we're already looking forward to your next visit.
We will always make every effort to make our guests feel like family coming home.. It's great to hear that we succeeded in doing that with you.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!!

All The Best,

Reviewed 10 April 2012

I had a wonderful experience at the Aqua spa. The staff was warm, friendly and the treatments were very professional with good products that did not irritate my skin. I have sensitive skin and the products were gentle. The massage was wonderful, she gave me a deep tissue masage that left me relaxed and re- energized. at the same time. I loved the roof top solarium and the attention I received while I was there, I would definetly go back. It was a great Spa day for a Miami girl. Thanks Evi, Aida and Laura

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank connie p
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Wow! Sounds like an incredible day! You're correct, Agua is the perfect place to refresh and revitalize, we are very proud of the Spa Team and I'm very glad to hear that they worked their magic on you!

Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Many Thanks,