“High quality- Higher prices!”

Fontainebleau Miami Beach
Ranked #44 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Bay Harbor, Michigan
“High quality- Higher prices!”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Just returned from four nights in the Sorrento Tower at Fountainbleu. Hotel location and view from our suite were excellent- ocean, pool complex, Biscayne Bay and the city in one sweep from our balcony, which faced North. The room has kitchen amenities, large screen TV and an iMac included. But for about $900 per night in an off-peak period it should be even better.
As a guideline for guests who will be dining in the hotel restaurants or equivalent, you should budget about $150 per day per person, not including drinks. Drinks will ramp up the tab dramatically, as other reviewers have noted. Menu selections for in-house restaurants should be expanded.
Many guests, including ourselves, wandered around lost on a regular basis due to extremely inadequate signage. Las Vegas resorts twice the size are relatively easy to get around because signs hang prominently overhead indicating directions to various towers, restrooms, elevators, etc. Nothing like that here.
All employees that I dealt with were extremely deferent and helpful. Staffing levels seemed haphazard, however. Staffing is high for bellmen, valets, restaurants, and security. It seemed low for housekeeping, which was late and decidedly superficial. Food and beverage service for sunbathers at the pool and beach is absolutely the worst I have ever seen. Management is foregoing a lot of revenue by leaving guests nearly unserved in this area.
To summarize by an analogy I will suggest that at the Fountainebleu, Miami Beach you pay for the Ritz-Carlton but get the Hilton- in a beautiful location.

Room Tip: Money. Don't leave home without it!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom D
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. We appreciate your compliments regarding our impressive scenic views and our helpful and accommodating team members. Rest assured that we will use your comments as constructive criticism to continue improving our service levels for you and for future guests. We sincerely value you as a guest and look forward to the opportunity to exceed your expectations during a future stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,381)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Where do I begin !As a visitor for one night , the 4 o clock check in and 11 am check out did not allow us to enjoy the beach at prime hours (noon to 4pm) and changed (or cheated us )from a 24 hour stay to a 19 hour stay.
We knew we were in for a bad stay when the valet parking man , our first staff contact, immediately suggested that we try to move from the Chateau to another "better" room .The room we were in had some kind of red food (?) on the windows that the cleaning staff left behind (which I cleaned myself), the toilet had to be flushed from inside the tank because the handle was disengaged. The following morning when we tried to enjoy our limited pool time ( remember ,in by 4 out by 11) we were asked to leave a cabana as we had not registered (PAID) for it even though it sat empty while we were there, and finally when we checked out I waited for the "How was everything?" so as to report my disappointment, which was NEVER asked by your obviously uncaring staff. The hotel is located far away from everything except their overpriced restaurants, gift shops and bars!
There is more but it can best described as there is a feeling of "squeeze every cent from your visitors " attitude that permeates the Fontainebleau.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank artisttraveler134
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Fontainebleau. We are saddened to learn of the challenges you encountered and would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly. Our management team has attempted to reach out to you personally via Trip Advisor. We look forward to speaking with you.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This review is a challenge. This place is so vast with so many facets...I agree with the recent review titled '5* are you kidding me?' in some parts; the odd mix of business suits, flip-flop famillies, budding rappers, aspiring prostitues and general wannbes is hard to observe and does certainly jarr you. (I can't explain why, I guess if you fit into any of these categories you'd normally by hanging out with similar types??)
We were a flip-flop bunch and were very interested, amused and happy to observe the mixture, but it was weird.
The public spaces are all stunning, after a £1Bn re-fit you should be able to expect that I s'pose. It reminded us (in some ways) of The Atlantis Palm, Dubai, though the Atlantis is way more beautiful, over the top and clear in it's target audience.
We will certainly stay at the FB again, the pool areas were stunning, the planting, the layout, the attention to detail, but it did have some significant frustrations-it seems the hotel allows day visitors and already a vast hotel, there was simply not enough room around the pools to accomodate everyone. The sunbeds were packed in so tight that you had to step over bodies or take a long detour to get into the pool. We stayed 4 nights and only succeeded on the last day in getting a bed next to the pool.
We had a standard room for 2 nights, very modern and trendy but small and like the previous reviewer the beds were too small. We upgraded to a suite after then and were spoilt with the amazing space we were given...2 beds, 2 baths, a full kitchen and laundry facilities...yippee! Our maid Elaine was most attentive and couldn't do enough for us....interestingly after 4 days there, that is the only staff name I can remember or who is worthy of note, The pool team were a little 'too cool for school' and were working their own image rather then looking after clients-sorry guys but we pay for service and expect it!
I will review the restaurants seperately.
This place is totally worth a stay, despite some of the weird stuff. It's an experience not to be missed.

Room Tip: Be specific when booking of size of bed
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
We are so thrilled you enjoyed your stay and thank you for helping sharing your opinions of our property and its offerings. Fontainebleau welcomes all guests, including but not limited to local, business and international travelers. Our property features 120,000 square feet of convention space and two nightclubs, with LIV being recognized as one of the world’s best! This alone can illustrate how we attract a variety of crowds. We would like to extend a special thanks to you for acknowledging Elaine from our Housekeeping team for being an exceptional host. She will certainly be rewarded for her attentiveness and hospitality. We can’t wait to welcome you back next time!
Hewlett, New York
Reviewed 20 April 2012

This was the second year my entire family stayed at the Fontainebleau over the Passover/Easter holidays. We always look forward to this time of year, to get away from the extreme changes in New York City weather. Last year we were very pleased with our stay here, so we decided to come back and stay in Tresor again. We wanted to take full advantage of all the great restaurants at the hotel, and planned our nights accordingly. Highly recommend Scarpetta for delicious food (spaghetti, I know it seems basic but it is out of this world!). Brunch, none other than Vida, with all you can drink mimosas and bloody marys included in the price with the huge buffet of endless items from breakfast to pizzas to sushi! Hakkassan is our favorite when we visit, and the service and food never disappoints.
What really stood out during this vacation from the last (aside from the gorgeous weather and property we already discovered before) was the outstanding service from the Fontainebleau staff. Every employee was friendly and offering to help in any way they possibly could. The VIP staff were great welcoming us. We want to point out one employee in particular though, Stefanie a member in the executive offices. One of our younger family member's ran into her while trying to find the way to the pool and where we were set up. She had walked him out to the pool and brought him to our area and this is how we met truly the most caring, professional, intellectual employee and here in Miami. We are frequent travelers all over the world and never experienced this type of luxurious service before. We had minor problems in the beginning of our stay this time which will not be mentioned further because all we had to do was tell her about them and they were listened to and acknowledged, immediately resolved, professionally apologized for and turned around for us with reassurance and the most delightful care. She checked on us each day after and we were so thankful. She also taught us things about the property we were never aware of that was intriguing to us. We were extremely impressed with her overall knowledge of the hotel. Stefanie gave us some great recommendations and sent us a bottle of Merlot after hearing us say it's our favorite (not to mention a card she personally wrote for us) - how thoughtful! We can only hope she is rewarded everyday for the service she provides exceeding expectations, her ability to resolve problems that you even forget they happened, and her personality that makes you feel so welcomed and cared for that you become so comfortable and content. We are holding on to her business card because we are confident she will be the GM one day. Thank you for everything Stefanie you made our vacation absolutely perfect and we can't wait to see you next year (or maybe even sooner we can only hope)!!!!!!!!!!
-the Altmarks

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your most rewarding feedback regarding your recent stay with us! Our goal is to create fond memories for you and your family, and we are truly delighted that you consider Fontainebleau to be your home away from home. Although our extravagant amenities make us unique, it is our outstanding colleagues who help make your visit memorable. Thank you for taking the time to recognize Stefanie, she is truly an asset to the Fontainebleau Team. We sincerely appreciate your loyalty and eagerly anticipate your next visit!
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the hotel, but be warned it is expensive. A beer at the pool costs $10 and a pepsi from the mini bar $5. But if your looking for the archetypal Miami Beach hotel this is it.
We had a late flight and the hotel gave us complimentary late check out - many thanks. We also checked in earlier than the normal 4pm time. The front desk take your number and send you a text when the rooms prepared. Very efficient.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Fontainebleau sincerely values our guests’ input. We appreciate you taking the time to share your honest appreciation with us. Your feedback is very important and will help bring forth sustainment or improvement in the appropriate areas. Thank you for acknowledging our Front Desk operation for the high level of efficiency presented in achieving our guests’ needs. We do our absolute best to accommodate early arrivals before our standard check in time at 4:00PM. In the case your room may not yet be prepared for your stay, we conveniently offer the option to pre check in, store your luggage and provide a number we can contact you on to simply retrieve your keys when the room becomes available. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we hope you come back soon for another great time!
Miami, FL
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I planned a girls night for my best friend's birthday party and we chose to go to the Fontainebleau. The much anticipated trip was nothing short of amazing. The receptionist was very friendly and service throughout was superb. We were even upgraded to an ocean front room! What a way to start a mini vacation! We went out to Arkadia that night and all had a blast!! After a much night, we ordered room service. The food was very good and came up quickly. I will definitely be going back and recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a getaway.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
On behalf of the entire Fontainebleau team, thank you for this wonderful review! We sincerely appreciate your flattering comments and are happy to hear that you all had such a fabulous time with us. We truly value your loyalty and recommendations and hope to have the opportunity to serve you and your friends again soon!
Baker, Florida, United States
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel right after spring break and Easter. There was a mass check out the day I arrived. As a result, my room was not ready until two hours after it was supposed to be. I read how there is no personal attention to customers, however there are some names I would like to mention. Michele at the spa was fantastic, Kim and Michelle at the Tessor desk made an effort to get my room cleaned quickly, and Catalina at owners services was also wonderful. These people went out of their way for me and had a smile the whole time. Every staff member was pleasant. Valet parking at the Tressor was fantastic. They were very prompt and even cleaned bird poo off my car. I rented my room from VRBO.com and paid half of what the hotel charges. I did not eat or drink at the hotel because of the prices. I felt like I had to have my wallet open all the time and for the prices people pay at the hotel, you should not feel like that. A plastic cup drink for $18?? No thanks. My room was quiet and on the 29th floor so I did not hear the club or pool music. Again, the hotel had just hit a quiet period. You cant go during spring break and expect personal service or quiet. I arrived right after and received wonderful service. I do think the hotel and its pool/beach need better security. Some people were there from other places. Guest paying that much should not have to share with someone coming from another hotel. I also think the hotel needs to decide what type of people they want to attract. Either business and couples or the party crowd. I do believe I saw some "ladies of the night" in the lobby as well. For a hotel of this caliber that should not be tolerated. The spa was a nice place to visit and I relaxed while waiting for my room. Really nothing at the hotel stood out to me and for the prices it charges for everything, I don't think I would go back.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor in one of the towers not the main hotel if you want quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jennifer P
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay at Fontainebleau. It is always good to hear from our guests. Our goal is to exceed your expectations, and I will certainly review your comments with our Team Members. Rest assured knowing that the team members mentioned above will be recognized for the special attention they have provided for you. We certainly value you as a guest and hope to have the opportunity to one day serve you again.