“Beautiful mansion, lovely owners.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Micanopy
Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Micanopy B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 February 2017

I stayed at the Herlong during a recent visit to the area looking at real estate. The Inn and grounds are beautiful and well-kept. My room was clean, comfortable, and very quiet. Breakfast was delicious and hearty and always included fresh fruit. Carolyn, the owner is a lovely woman and I enjoyed chatting with her over coffee. During my stay, there were tornado warnings for the area; I felt completely safe in the Herlong- I'm sure it has weathered many a storm! I will most certainly be staying there again the next time I'm in Micanopy.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank tbm228
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2017

What a delightful time I had meeting you...we had so much in common. Those tornado warnings can be pretty alarming but you're correct- the Herlong is about the Safest place I know, she is built like a Fortress. I love hearing that you enjoyed your breakfasts and your room was clean, quiet and comfortable. I certainly look forward to your return and I thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review.

Reviewed 8 February 2017

The property was enchanting and the rooms were comfortable and clean. It was an unplanned stop which turned into a multi-night stay. Caroline was helpful and inviting especially as my friend was sick and needed medical attention. Route into Gainesville which lead to the Strand Medical Center - prompt and professional service.

Room Tip: All the rooms were charming and had so many different features. Inquire
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review- it sure was Terrible one of you fell ill during your trip but I was only too happy to take care of you and I am pleased to hear everything turned out alright.

Reviewed 27 January 2017

It was rainy; the NFL playoffs were on tv; and my wife planned a short getaway to Micanopy. After a two hour drive, we arrived at this stately old house with huge Corinthian columns across the front porch. The arts and craft wood inside was warm and inviting. We were greeted at the covered side door by a friendly lady who checked us in and directed us to our room.

Within about an hour we had met the other guests and felt right at home....and yes there was a tv in the downstairs sitting room.

Room Tip: Micanopy is a quaint small Southern town with more than its share of shops and restaurants
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2017

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found your Herlong Experience to be Friendly and Warm. Thank you for coming to visit us and we are glad you could watch your NFL Football on the flat screen TV in the Music Room. We hope you come again.

Reviewed 18 January 2017 via mobile

My sister and I had an unplanned, last minute trip to Micanopy to help a family member. Carolyn at the Herlong got us set up with a wonderful room in no time. The place is magnificent, breakfast is delicious, and we were very well-taken care of. We've stayed here numerous times and plan to return again and again.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2017

I'm so happy everything worked out and I could accommodate you both for the three nights you needed. We enjoyed hosting you both and it was a particular pleasure having your mother visit for breakfast and Play Time With Pekoe...I know little Pekoe certainly enjoyed the attention. We look forward to your next visit as always. Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

Reviewed 25 December 2016 via mobile

I was so excited to stay at the Herlong Mansion with my mother and sisters earlier this month ~ but I was disappointed. The breakfasts (half of the B & B experience) we were served were just not good at all. I'm not a picky person ... but I couldn't eat the French toast because it was burned, dry & no syrup was provided. Even the cookies provided at night were inedible ... burned, as well. The actual mansion is really lovely but the furnishings are much more 1980's flea market with far too many little doo-dads every where. The owner, Carolyn, was truly lovely - very kind and answered all our questions. My disappointment was mainly the quality and choice of the foods offered.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Debbie S
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2016

I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed my hospitality but am very perplexed by your other statements. I have actually never been to a Flea Market and all our antiques are of fine quality and were most definitely not purchased at an 80's flea market. To my knowledge we have never burned our food and then served it - the sugar may have caramelized on the top of the Baked French Toast but it was not burnt. The cookies we put out are fresh baked as well and a variety was offered during your stay-they were baked at different times so if one batch was baked more than you like there were others to choose from. You were here for a couple of nights so I hope you enjoyed our other breakfasts. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 6 November 2016 via mobile

My wife and I came here for our anniversary we were very pleased with the kind staff and the lovely scenery this historic Inn was once a mansion and now is a magical getaway we really enjoyed our experience and would absolutely recommend this to anyone else not recommended for small children as this is a historic site

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2016

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your Anniversary with us at the Herlong- We so enjoyed meeting you two. I loved reading that you had a magical getaway and we hope you will come again. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 1 November 2016

This property is the only option in the small town of Micanopy. It is for sale and it is obvious that the current owners are scrimping somewhat. It would also appear to not be run by business oriented owners. The property itself while somewhat tired and in need of sprucing up is a fine example of an old mansion. Wallpaper peeling and sheets way beyond the time that they should be replaced were examples of scrimping. Breakfast was marginal and really not exceptional in any way. Everyone very nice but appears that the owner wished to shut out the world-locks the front door to keep out anyone that might wish to see the property for example. Bed not extremely comfortable. Wifi did not work one of the mornings.

BIGGEST ISSUE to be aware of is the credit card policy hidden in a massive policy statement that one receives when booking the room. While they allow the cc for confirmation they charge a 10% fee for using it! " If you would like to use a credit card a 10% charge will be added". Since their prices are already high this fairly unfriendly and has a high chance of being actually illegal under Florida law. While they waived in my case because I happened to have enough cash to settle I still think this represents a policy that only a non-business person would implement. The policy as implemented would be to charge on the cc at reservation, reverse cc at check and require full cash or personnel check payment for entire amount or assessment of 10% on entire amount charged including the amount previously charged at time of reservation!

This is not a hopeless property but they could use some help to make it more salable or attractive to potential customers. Next time I would probably opt to stay nearer to Gainesville and commute.

Room Tip: Facing the front of the Hotel towards the street best option.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LarryandMaureen
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We enjoyed hosting you for our Annual Fall Festival weekend. Yes, the Herlong is for sale - however, it is being run with the same care and amenities as always. I have lovingly owned the Inn for 11 years and am hoping to give someone else the honor of continuing the legacy of the Herlong while I go off in search of something new.
Thank you for alerting me to the small curl in the bathroom wallpaper- It has been mended. I'm disappointed to read that you didn't enjoy my homemade southern breakfasts- They may not be fancy but they are made from scratch and most everyone else savored my baked cinnamon French Toast -The potato, cheese Frittata - The crustless spinach and polenta quiche and the Mandarin orange upside down breakfast cake.
We have firm mattresses with pillow tops hoping to please most everyone and I'm sorry to hear you were not comfortable with that. We provide Free Wifi that is available at All Times. We prefer to be paid with a check or cash but do allow you to use a credit card with said fee (to help defray the Heavy cost involved- Air Miles and other incentives for the card holder that the merchant pays for).
We keep the front door locked to keep the general public from wandering in and exploring rooms that are occupied by guests. The Herlong Inn is a peaceful sanctuary for my guests and I feel an obligation to keep their stay as relaxing and undisturbed as possible and for that reason -and that reason alone- we keep the doors locked.
During the week when we are Not fully occupied I do open the doors to the public and offer self guided tours.
Thank you for staying with us and I hope you enjoyed the Festival.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Micanopy
16.2 km away
16.6 km away
Sweetwater Branch Inn
Sweetwater Branch Inn
#3 of 5 in Gainesville

Been to Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!