All reviewsantique shopspump housecross creekcarriage houseold floridaclaw foot tubentire mansionbreakfast was deliciousrose roomb and bfresh baked cookiesporch swingflorida townlittle touchesnext morningboth morningspaynes prairie
Reviewed April 8, 2017

My family had the pleasure of staying at the Herlong over Christmas, visiting family in the area. On balance, I was impressed with beautiful home and lovely town. Being right in town was great, and the owner was delightful. We had the house nearly to ourselves, and rather than take a day off, she came to make sure we were set for anything we could have needed.

Some guests have noted issues with the breakfast, and while I wouldn't say we were served anything extraordinary, the owner made breakfast for us at our request every morning and it was a lovely home-cooked meal and given that it's built into the price, I found it quite good, given the value (literally, free food).

The rooms are nicely appointed, clean, and come with air conditioning minisplits you can control yourself. For me, this is a huge plus. It meant the room was comfortable. The bigger rooms with windows are quite nice. I was in a small room upstairs that didn't have any windows, but it didn't feel oppressive. High ceilings and well-arranged spaces made it worth while. And it's probably also worth noting that the room connected to a nice, big room with windows to make a suite for a traveling family. I kept the door between the rooms closed but I could certainly see how a family or friends travelling together would take advantage of this. My parents had a large room on the second floor with french doors on the terrace, and it was lovely.

If you're in Micanopy, this place is a lovely getaway spot with great placement in the midst of the town. You won't find better prices at the Hampton Inns or Hilton Gardens in Gainesville, and the escape to a bygone era was exactly what I needed at the end of the year.

Room Tip: Wisteria does not have windows--it's a lovely room, but if that sort of thing matters note it. Only room without windows, I think.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Erik S
Reviewed April 4, 2017

I stayed at this B&B recently for only one night (thankfully). While the actual house is lovely and the grounds are impressive from the outside, I was very disappointed at the apparent stinginess with which this B&B is run, as compared to the tens of B&B's I've stayed in the past across the county.

Considered a "late checkin" at 5:30, my girlfriend and I did not see anyone that worked at the B&B the entire first night. We had one cookie, that seemed to be store bought (although I could be wrong) and struggled to find anyway to make tea or coffee for our quiet evening of book reading that night. Hot water and coffee are something that have been available to me at every single B&B I've ever stayed at for tea, day or night. The only thing that was available to us, literally - since the town is extremely small and the two coffee shops close early- was water and what seemed to be a cheap sweet tea (again, I could be wrong, but it tasted more like "Lipton" or a powdered tea than quality tea). It was very frustrating. My friend needed ice, but the ice was completely empty.

In our room, instead of a full set of toiletries, like is typical in most B&Bs, there was a "shampoo-conditioner" combo, a couple of tiny tiny soaps, and a shower gel.

The next morning I went to have coffee and was dismayed to find only the cheapest sugars and creamer. No agave, honey, syrup, etc. Still no hot water for tea, except when we asked for it at breakfast. Our "vegetarian" breakfast was the same as everyone else's, except the meat was left off of the plate, with absolutely nothing replacing it. The breakfast was mediocre at best and I was left very hungry. I would have asked for more, however there are signs everywhere reminding guests that there is a 50.00 charge for things like having a visitor come to the inn while staying, adding an extra person, bringing food to the room, late checkout, etc. I'm sure I don't remember all of the exact charges clearly, but many of them were right around 50.00 for things that have been very very welcome at other B&Bs I've stayed out in the past - things like complimentary late check-out when possible and even visitors have been welcome. I surely didn't want to be charged more money for the food being served.

Overall, although I thought the house was physically nice, this house was not welcoming - the sort of feeling you want when paying so much money. To top it all off, when I went to check out I was notified that this inn charges a TEN PERCENT fee if using a credit card. I don't even think this is legal. I was told that the total was 170 and, when I questioned how the amount came up to 170 for a 149/night room (since I did not receive an initial confirmation with total or physical invoice while staying here), the innkeeper told me "fees" and asked if she could just email me the invoice later because it would have been hard to print the itemized invoice. When I pressed on that I'd rather see it, she pulled up the charges and found that she had overcharged me 3 dollars plus change (this was after an earlier "mistake" of giving me 20.00 back instead of 30.00 - something I attributed to human error until this second "mistake" came up after questioning about the itemized costs. The innkeeper did not seem surprised that she made the mistake and handed me ONLY THREE DOLLARS of the three dollars and change that she owed me without expressing a true apology for the error. That's right - she actually rounded UP IN HER FAVOR. On top of it - she rounded up in her favor when giving me back some of the money even though I heard change jingling in her envelope! I was so stunned that I just walked away and left.

I would not recommend this place to anyone - you would have more "home away from home" at a chain hotel, with 24 hour hot tea and coffee for a lot less money. I gave this review a "2 star" because the grounds and actual building were adequate. For quality of breakfast, lack of simple things like hot water, and lack of anyone being around the entire night, I give it a "1."

The kicker...I even noticed that the little cheap half and half creamers for the coffee and the coffee itself was being put away right after breakfast - a short and precise 1 hour window.

This is the first B&B I've ever stayed at that I haven't had great conversation with the innkeeper and felt trapped without anything of quality to eat or drink during most of my stay. This is the first negative review of a B&B I've ever written - I was not impressed.

I ran into someone else that had stayed later on in the day after check out and they felt the same way. Hopefully they will write a review.

PS - I want to note that, although I don't drink alcohol, there seemed to be some kind of red wine and maybe something else for those who do. I don't know if it was good or not.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
10  Thank Care2727
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2017

I am so terribly sorry you did not enjoy your little stay at the Herlong. I'm sorry you felt the cost was too expensive but I must tell you the rates have been the same for 20 years- and have not gone up at all. The $149.00 for your room with 2 double beds with clawfoot tub, shower private bathroom includes the breakfast and is quite a bit lower than most other Bed and Breakfasts in the area. We put out Fresh Baked Cookies, Wine, Sherry and Port for our guests to enjoy every evening. We have Coffee prepared for our guests in the morning and Tea upon request (which I'm glad you enjoyed). We have a variety of sweeteners, sugar, Equal etc., Half and Half and Coffemate creamers for non-dairy users but alas no Agave or Syrup. We have filtered water and Iced Tea (Lipton will be sorry to hear that it's not up to your standards of "quality") in the fridge for the guests as well. There are 2 restaurants open at night in Micanopy and 2 twenty four hour convenience stores right down the road that sell food and ice as well. I provide ice in the freezer for the guests but if all the ice is taken then at least there is the convenience store.
Since you all were vegetarians I made sure to prepare breakfast with no meats in any of the items and served you a meat free breakfast- I made Baked Blueberry French Toast, Homemade Creamy Grits served with Fresh Fruit... the Non-Vegetarians were served the exact same breakfast plus Ham. So you received a Full breakfast minus The Meat, So I'm not quite sure what else I could have done for you.
Yes, we provide Shampoo/conditioner, Bath gel, and soaps in the rooms (just not a fancy basket full) and Yes we are an Inn with No One in Residence and we clearly state that. We are here during the day -not in the evening. You arrived after the Front Desk closed and I'm sorry the time I spent speaking with you in the morning didn't provide enough "Great Conversation", I actually thought our talk on your trail walking was interesting.
I do apologize for the glitches in the amount due- I had Just installed a New Computer Reservation System the day before and was still ironing out the Kinks with the Taxes being charged. Yes, there was an error for which I gave you the $3.00 overcharge and apologized. The amount was $3.10 and I didn't think to give you THE TEN CENTS- please forgive me- I truly have No desire to short change people and have been an Innkeeper for 22 years with an unblemished career. The Credit Card companies charge me (the merchant) an unreasonable amount for all the gas and free airline miles the guest receives when they use their credit card. That ends up costing me quite a lot so I offer the alternative payment method of cash or check with No fees- most BandB establishments ONLY Accept Cash or Checks, I at least give the option. I'm pleased to hear you liked the grounds and building and I hope you enjoyed your hikes in the area.

Reviewed February 22, 2017

While I would have liked a bigger and more varied breakfast the setting itself is wonderful. This is a big home, well decorated with well maintained grounds. Its in the middle of the small town of Micanopy so its a great basecamp for visits to close by state parks or the Majorie Rawlings home of Cross Creek or strolls around town to walk or shop. A good attentive staff who seek to be helpful. Wi-Fi is available. The porch on the second floor is splendid for talking and resting outside. Snacks and wine available for guests.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2017

Thank you for all the compliments- I am so flattered to hear you enjoyed the breakfast so much that you wanted more...and that you found the Decor and Grounds beautifully maintained and the Porch Splendid. We appreciate your letting us know that you found us attentive and helpful and we hope you will come again.

Reviewed February 9, 2017

I stayed at the Herlong during a recent visit to the area looking at real estate. The Inn and grounds are beautiful and well-kept. My room was clean, comfortable, and very quiet. Breakfast was delicious and hearty and always included fresh fruit. Carolyn, the owner is a lovely woman and I enjoyed chatting with her over coffee. During my stay, there were tornado warnings for the area; I felt completely safe in the Herlong- I'm sure it has weathered many a storm! I will most certainly be staying there again the next time I'm in Micanopy.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank tbm228
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2017

What a delightful time I had meeting you...we had so much in common. Those tornado warnings can be pretty alarming but you're correct- the Herlong is about the Safest place I know, she is built like a Fortress. I love hearing that you enjoyed your breakfasts and your room was clean, quiet and comfortable. I certainly look forward to your return and I thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review.

Reviewed February 8, 2017

The property was enchanting and the rooms were comfortable and clean. It was an unplanned stop which turned into a multi-night stay. Caroline was helpful and inviting especially as my friend was sick and needed medical attention. Route into Gainesville which lead to the Strand Medical Center - prompt and professional service.

Room Tip: All the rooms were charming and had so many different features. Inquire
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review- it sure was Terrible one of you fell ill during your trip but I was only too happy to take care of you and I am pleased to hear everything turned out alright.