“Quintessential Old Florida”

Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Micanopy B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 October 2017

Visiting the Herlong Mansion has been a longtime wish that came true this past weekend. The charming turn of the century mansion is located in the sleepy Florida town of Micanopy, and staying there felt like stepping back in time to an era when life was more genteel and people took pleasure in talking with one another. The innkeeper went out of her way to make us feel welcome, and I admit to falling in love with her little dog, Pekoe! My husband and I stayed in the Dogwood room and our friends were just across the hall in the Herlong Suite. Both rooms were large and had direct access to the upstairs patio. Our bed with its super soft sheets and perfect pillow made for a good night's sleep, and breakfast was plentiful. We spent an afternoon on the upstairs verandah with its very impressive columns, swaying on the porch swing and rocking in the chairs, and one evening after the Gator game in the parlor, just hanging out while the TV was tuned to more college football. The town itself is beautiful with quaint cafes and antique shops, and the perfect place to take a Sunday stroll to enjoy the authenticity and peaceful ambiance of a small Florida town. Dinner the first night was at the nearby Yearling where the red fish, butter beans and greens were delicious. We also ordered a bottle of Chianti that was surprisingly good. For a two night getaway, this destination was perfection if your goal is to slow down, catch up with friends and immerse yourself in authentic Florida!

Room Tip: Dogwood and Herlong have direct access to the impressive upstairs patio, which is a beautiful place...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

What A Terrific Review- So Heartfelt and Lovely. Pekoe and I really enjoyed meeting you guys and Pekoe sure snuggled into your Hugs. I'm So Pleased you loved the Herlong and Micanopy and WE hope you come back.. Thank you from Pekoe, Too

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Glorious mansion off the beaten track in Old Florida. There are no tourists here and we loved that.

We arrived late after a long flight and on our way up to Thomasville GA. We had the mansion to ourselves for an hour or two and as we looked around the halls, the floors were creaking and shadows dancing in the period lighting. It felt like a haunted house movie from the 1920s!!

Our room, the Herlong Suite, was really big and extremely comfortable. However, it is full of period pipes and fittings, and some people may be put off by the rust-stained bath, sink and toilet. I suppose getting a specialist in to see if they can be made good might be a good idea but it didn't bother us (my bathroom in my first flat in London had similar 'features').

Breakfast was simple but tasty (two egg omelette plus fruit).

Tip: if you arrive late in the day your keys are left at the side entrance. The doors are old and therefore unlocking them can be fiddly. Just patiently and gently push/pull the door until the key turns.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your lovely review- I so enjoyed meeting you two. I'm pleased you enjoyed the Cheese Omelets I made for you along with the Ham and Blueberry Muffins. Yes, the plumbing is Original to the 1910 Mansion and I have had plumbers in to replace the old pipes, but it really is impossible to remove all character rust staining short of removing all the original fixtures. One day we may have to do that, which is a shame, but necessary in order to visually please the guests. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels and hope you come again.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

We booked 4 rooms well in advance of an upcoming fall trip and today the owner sent us all a cancellation notice email. No call. No comp. No real apology. I HAD to place a call to see what happened. Well, they said the party before us extended. Hum, most likely they got a wedding for the weekend and we are now OUT. This is on a very busy University of Florida football weekend and all other hotels are booked or are 2X the price. Again, I repeat. Think long and hard before trusting in the Herlong Inn in Micanopy. You might not just have the "wonderful" room you were dreaming of!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FLtravel0330
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

We were Truly Sorry we had to cancel your reservations but the group (for a workshop/event) that had booked reservations ahead of you decided to extend their stay. We had hoped that by giving 3 months notification you would be able to rebook elsewhere and in fact you told us you had successfully done just that. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience and we are so sorry you couldn't have the lovely stay at the Herlong that you had anticipated. Perhaps in the future you will try us again.

Reviewed 16 July 2017

My husband and I stayed here for a quick overnight getaway. The property is gorgeous with well-appointed rooms. The innkeeper was very gracious and kind. Breakfast the next morning was plentiful and hardy. We would definitely recommend a stay in this truly historic gem!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay in the Carriage House and that you enjoyed all that the Herlong had to offer. I hope you are able to come back and visit us again- perhaps for a Longer stay next time. Thank you, again

Reviewed 2 June 2017

We have stayed at roughly 10 B&Bs in our travels. I find there are 2 kinds: 1 where the owners engage you during breakfast and afternoon snack time (if they have one), offer a large or assorted choices for breakfast, relate the history of the place or the location. Very informative and friendly. The 2nd type is hands off - they know you are usually not there just for their place - maybe it's on the beach, maybe it's romantic and they don't want to intrude - they stay out of your way. Oddly, this place I expected to be like the first type. Instead, it was like the second. For an historic place, you had to read the website or possibly something in the room (I don't remember) to find out about its history. Breakfast is small, ours consisted of a slice of fruit, a slice of ham, grits one day, and a small pastry. The coffee was average.
The room was interesting, and because you're in a cute town, I think they don't expect you to sit around - there's no TV in the room and limited outlets.
They charge extra - for visitors, for taking food into your room, for special weekends in Gainesville, even if they're too small to force people to book 10 miles away. That felt like price-gouging to me - they were half empty on one of those "special" weekends.
The afternoon cookies were delicious, though, but we didn't try the wine. And there is a balcony on the 2nd floor that was nice to sit out on in th evening (it faces east).
Overall, however, I felt like this was a missed opportunity on their part.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jandc5744
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2017

I'm so pleased you found your room interesting and that you enjoyed the cute little town of Micanopy. You are correct, we do not like to intrude on our guests but if they wish to engage with us we are very friendly. We prepare a full breakfast every morning with egg dishes, Ham or Sausage, baked goods, grits or potatoes and fruit - I believe you had home made baked Cinnamon Raisin French Toast with Creamy Grits, Ham and sliced oranges (2 slices). Our coffee is Folgers and I'm thrilled you loved our home baked cookies. We have a flat screen TV in the Music room for our guests but most everyone travels with an entertainment device for which we provide Free Wifi.
I'm not sure when you stayed but Special Event Weekends do have a price increase to reflect the going rate in the area and we are always fully booked (Graduation, Football Weekends, Fall Festival etc.) most assuredly Not Price Gouging. We are a quiet Inn where the staff and I are here to provide a pleasant stay but not interfere. I do know of B and Bs that are more in your face but I choose not to be one of those and the majority of my guests appreciate that.
The upstairs Veranda, with the swing beds and rocking chairs, is a delightful spot to enjoy Wine and Cookies in the evening and I'm happy to hear you were able to relax there and appreciate the soothing calmness of the Herlong.

Reviewed 1 June 2017

We had two rooms as we were going for a long retreat and both my partner and I wanted different things, My room the Herlong was very spacious [actually huge] with the most beautiful light. His room was off on its own called the carriage house which he kept very cool and dark. Our rooms were attended to and everything was clean. We loved the hosts Carolyn and her humorous husband Stephen they made us feel right at home. Always eager to meet our needs. Their dog Pekoe is so adorable makes the whole experience even more amazing!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2017

I had the Most Wonderful Time with you- You were a Treat to have as a guest. Your group was terrific and we had a delightful time hosting you all but I particularly enjoyed the moments you and I shared. Little Pekoe will surely miss his morning hugs and afternoon kisses. We both hope you will come back to visit. Thank you for taking the time to write your glowing review and I am so pleased that you and Steve both loved your rooms.

Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

While we were visiting Micanopy, wanted to check out the only B&B we saw downtown, for a future stay. Now we have stayed at B&Bs for the past 30 years in Florida, Georgia, Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, etc.

I knocked on the front door, no answer, I tried the knob and the door was unlocked, so I stepped inside. I was immediately met by a woman, who did not introduce herself , but very curtly asked if she could help me (no smile). I asked if she had any brochures about the inn, as we were interested in a stay. She said they had no brochures, just to look on the Internet. Again, no smile, no attempt to engage me at all. This was Micanopy, not New York City. In 30 years, I have NEVER encountered this type of reception at any B&B, ever. They can give whatever excuse they want, but there is absolutely no excuse for being rude to anyone, anytime, ever. Period. My mother taught me that. It would not have cost this person but 5 minutes of their time, just to smile, invite us to look at their website, and tell us how they would look forward to us coming to stay with them in the future. Didn't happen folks. You decide if this is the kind of 'southern hospitality' you want to have. I actually know what real southern hospitality feels like, and this isn't it.

Stayed: May 2017
4  Thank floracauna
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2017

Once again someone wanted to take a look around inside the Inn while I was Fully Occupied. Of Course I greeted them with a smile and a "How May I Help You ?"- I then tell them we are Green and have No Paper Products (brochures) and that they may find All our information on our Website Herlong Inn. If they still insist on coming in I tell them we are fully booked and are unable to allow them inside...I owned an Inn in Key West for 11 years and No One Ever came walking in the door saying We Just Want To Walk Around. This is a Hotel -Not a Museum- It Is Private Property for Guests Only.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Micanopy
16.2 km away
16.6 km away
Sweetwater Branch Inn
Sweetwater Branch Inn
#1 of 5 in Gainesville

Been to Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!