All reviewsantique shopspump housecross creekcarriage houseold floridaclaw foot tubentire mansionbreakfast was deliciousrose roomb and bfresh baked cookiesporch swingflorida townlittle touchesnext morningboth morningspaynes prairie
Reviewed September 24, 2017 via mobile

Glorious mansion off the beaten track in Old Florida. There are no tourists here and we loved that.

We arrived late after a long flight and on our way up to Thomasville GA. We had the mansion to ourselves for an hour or two and as we looked around the halls, the floors were creaking and shadows dancing in the period lighting. It felt like a haunted house movie from the 1920s!!

Our room, the Herlong Suite, was really big and extremely comfortable. However, it is full of period pipes and fittings, and some people may be put off by the rust-stained bath, sink and toilet. I suppose getting a specialist in to see if they can be made good might be a good idea but it didn't bother us (my bathroom in my first flat in London had similar 'features').

Breakfast was simple but tasty (two egg omelette plus fruit).

Tip: if you arrive late in the day your keys are left at the side entrance. The doors are old and therefore unlocking them can be fiddly. Just patiently and gently push/pull the door until the key turns.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your lovely review- I so enjoyed meeting you two. I'm pleased you enjoyed the Cheese Omelets I made for you along with the Ham and Blueberry Muffins. Yes, the plumbing is Original to the 1910 Mansion and I have had plumbers in to replace the old pipes, but it really is impossible to remove all character rust staining short of removing all the original fixtures. One day we may have to do that, which is a shame, but necessary in order to visually please the guests. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels and hope you come again.

Reviewed August 1, 2017

We booked 4 rooms well in advance of an upcoming fall trip and today the owner sent us all a cancellation notice email. No call. No comp. No real apology. I HAD to place a call to see what happened. Well, they said the party before us extended. Hum, most likely they got a wedding for the weekend and we are now OUT. This is on a very busy University of Florida football weekend and all other hotels are booked or are 2X the price. Again, I repeat. Think long and hard before trusting in the Herlong Inn in Micanopy. You might not just have the "wonderful" room you were dreaming of!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank FLtravel0330
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2017

We were Truly Sorry we had to cancel your reservations but the group (for a workshop/event) that had booked reservations ahead of you decided to extend their stay. We had hoped that by giving 3 months notification you would be able to rebook elsewhere and in fact you told us you had successfully done just that. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience and we are so sorry you couldn't have the lovely stay at the Herlong that you had anticipated. Perhaps in the future you will try us again.

Reviewed July 16, 2017

My husband and I stayed here for a quick overnight getaway. The property is gorgeous with well-appointed rooms. The innkeeper was very gracious and kind. Breakfast the next morning was plentiful and hardy. We would definitely recommend a stay in this truly historic gem!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay in the Carriage House and that you enjoyed all that the Herlong had to offer. I hope you are able to come back and visit us again- perhaps for a Longer stay next time. Thank you, again

Reviewed June 2, 2017

We have stayed at roughly 10 B&Bs in our travels. I find there are 2 kinds: 1 where the owners engage you during breakfast and afternoon snack time (if they have one), offer a large or assorted choices for breakfast, relate the history of the place or the location. Very informative and friendly. The 2nd type is hands off - they know you are usually not there just for their place - maybe it's on the beach, maybe it's romantic and they don't want to intrude - they stay out of your way. Oddly, this place I expected to be like the first type. Instead, it was like the second. For an historic place, you had to read the website or possibly something in the room (I don't remember) to find out about its history. Breakfast is small, ours consisted of a slice of fruit, a slice of ham, grits one day, and a small pastry. The coffee was average.
The room was interesting, and because you're in a cute town, I think they don't expect you to sit around - there's no TV in the room and limited outlets.
They charge extra - for visitors, for taking food into your room, for special weekends in Gainesville, even if they're too small to force people to book 10 miles away. That felt like price-gouging to me - they were half empty on one of those "special" weekends.
The afternoon cookies were delicious, though, but we didn't try the wine. And there is a balcony on the 2nd floor that was nice to sit out on in th evening (it faces east).
Overall, however, I felt like this was a missed opportunity on their part.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jandc5744
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2017

I'm so pleased you found your room interesting and that you enjoyed the cute little town of Micanopy. You are correct, we do not like to intrude on our guests but if they wish to engage with us we are very friendly. We prepare a full breakfast every morning with egg dishes, Ham or Sausage, baked goods, grits or potatoes and fruit - I believe you had home made baked Cinnamon Raisin French Toast with Creamy Grits, Ham and sliced oranges (2 slices). Our coffee is Folgers and I'm thrilled you loved our home baked cookies. We have a flat screen TV in the Music room for our guests but most everyone travels with an entertainment device for which we provide Free Wifi.
I'm not sure when you stayed but Special Event Weekends do have a price increase to reflect the going rate in the area and we are always fully booked (Graduation, Football Weekends, Fall Festival etc.) most assuredly Not Price Gouging. We are a quiet Inn where the staff and I are here to provide a pleasant stay but not interfere. I do know of B and Bs that are more in your face but I choose not to be one of those and the majority of my guests appreciate that.
The upstairs Veranda, with the swing beds and rocking chairs, is a delightful spot to enjoy Wine and Cookies in the evening and I'm happy to hear you were able to relax there and appreciate the soothing calmness of the Herlong.

Reviewed June 1, 2017

We had two rooms as we were going for a long retreat and both my partner and I wanted different things, My room the Herlong was very spacious [actually huge] with the most beautiful light. His room was off on its own called the carriage house which he kept very cool and dark. Our rooms were attended to and everything was clean. We loved the hosts Carolyn and her humorous husband Stephen they made us feel right at home. Always eager to meet our needs. Their dog Pekoe is so adorable makes the whole experience even more amazing!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2017

I had the Most Wonderful Time with you- You were a Treat to have as a guest. Your group was terrific and we had a delightful time hosting you all but I particularly enjoyed the moments you and I shared. Little Pekoe will surely miss his morning hugs and afternoon kisses. We both hope you will come back to visit. Thank you for taking the time to write your glowing review and I am so pleased that you and Steve both loved your rooms.