All reviews marco island main building anglers cove ten thousand islands screened porch hard boiled eggs bagels tamiami trail heated pool nice pool large room stayed longer manatees marina kitchenette osprey swamp
Reviewed July 23, 2018

When making our reservations, I asked for two rooms by the pool. Upon arrival, I was told that our rooms were in the main building and nothing else was available. The building had a horrible odor, it smelled like a Septic problem. The toilet seat was detached from the toilet one room. The website said there were hair dryers, they did not work. One of the rooms had a very large, unsightly stain on the carpet. There was a balcony, however there were no chairs available to sit down. We attempted to have dinner there Saturday, we placed our order and waited for an hour and a half. The waitress never came back to our table to let us know what was taking so long or to check on our drinks. Only one person in our party got their food, so we chased down the waitress to pay our bill and advised that we were leaving. Unfortunate, it could be a very nice place.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kim W
SunStream M, General Manager at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2018

Hi Kimmi1208-
We are very disappointed that you had such an unpleasant stay at Port of the Islands. We are sorry that we did not have the availability to satisfy your room request. I have noted your comments about the room condition and will share them with our property team so the necessary actions can be taken. I will also speak with the restaurant team to see what went wrong and what steps can be taken to improve our service. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, it is very important to us.

Reviewed June 18, 2018

We booked a three-night stay at Port of the Islands for our time in the Everglades. I loved the location, it was peaceful and secluded and very convenient for our activities. The night we arrived, we ate at their restaurant and it was absolutely delicious as were the rest of the meals we ate there (seriously the best crab cake I've ever had).

On the first full day, we booked a manatee ecotour with them, which was great. The captain was so personable and we could tell he loved talking about the area and being on the water. Other than that, we spent most of our time driving around the area and walking the trails. We would come back to our room to rest when it got too hot or we would go for a swim in the awesome pool.

The room was nice. It had a kitchen area complete with a little oven. The marina store had things you could microwave or cook if you were staying awhile. My only complaints are that there was a plug only on one side of the bed and the wifi didn't reach our room.

The best part of this place is the staff. Steve, the general manager, went above and beyond to assist us from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. The waitresses at the restaurant were always great and the ladies at check-in were really helpful. They want you to not only enjoy your stay at the hotel, they want you to enjoy your time in general.

I only gave them four stars because they are in the process of evaluating and renovating the entire hotel so obviously there are some outdated elements that I'm sure will improve.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
SunStream M, General Manager at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2018

Hi Nikkie-
We are so glad that you enjoyed your trip to the Everglades. We are happy that the accommodations were pleasant and that your experience with our staff was friendly. Thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope you will return again in the future!

Reviewed May 10, 2018 via mobile

This hotel is outdated under staffed and very dirty. Check in staff I believe her name was maureen was too busy gossiping with locals and discussing unsavory topics like drug abuse and drinking. I have a 9 yr old daughter and had to address what she overheard. Rooms are dirty and cigarette butts adorn what is a relatively beautiful property. The breakfast was ok but one woman the only one who speaks English was completely overworked and was running and doing a great job by herself. When I asked at the desk as to why there was only one person working breakfast I was told they were short staffed. The front desk clerk could have cared less that the breakfast was under staffed at which point a disheveled untidy man sweating profusely introduced himself as Steve the new General manager. He apologized for our breakfast and began rambling incoherently about different staffing issues. He also reeked of alcohol and was either drunk or hungover. He pledged things were improving but upon check never received a key to the ice machine. A owner was nice enough to let us use there key twice and kindly pointed out the 4 inch deep puddle in the ice room to avoid upon entering. I would not recommend the hotel to any friends or family. And perhaps the new manager was going to fix things up. But I would suggest the Ivey House in Everglades. The manager there at least was not reeking of alcohol. Very dissapointed.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Andrew L
SunStream M, Owner at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2018

Hi Andrew-
We are disappointed to hear about your experience at Port of the Islands and this is completely unacceptable and unlike our team. As we are not able to contact you directly due to the fact that we are not able to find a record of your stay with us, we ask that you please contact us so that we can discuss your experience further. You can reach our corporate office at 239-765-4111 or by emailing reception@sunstream.com.

Reviewed May 7, 2018

This might be the best place to stay for the Everglades but the rooms are really dark and the air conditioner was horrendously loud. There was one tiny slit of a window and there is an outside screened porch but it kind of feels like a cage. The picture of the room isn't accurate, it shows a well lit sunny room, maybe when the sun is shining right over head? The room was very clean, the pool was really nice. The staff is nice and friendly and the food in the restaurant was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle D
SunStream M, General Manager at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2018

Hi Michelle-
We apologize if the room was too dark for your liking. Some room types have different window configurations and face different directions so lighting conditions can vary. We are pleased that everything else about your stay was pleasant and we appreciate you taking the time to share your review. Thank you for choosing Port of the islands, we enjoyed having you as our guest.
Best Regards,

Reviewed April 30, 2018

Let me begin with the check in staff are awesome and accommodated us a day later due to a bumped flight. With that being said my experience was definitely mixed. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere but on a marina which makes for a quiet/great nights sleep with very comfortable beds. (I know because I got to experience 2). The hate of the place, room 1, flooded bathroom. Maintenance told us it was fixed, it wasn't manager told us it was fixed it wasn't, moved the next day.Room 2, toilet running nonstop, blow dryer blowing reset, manager said he would fix never did. Spent two nights listening to running toilet (yes we closed the bathroom door). Manager did give us a 40.00 certificate for first night issue at the bar/restaurant on premises. This is not part of the hotel although it opens directly into both the courtyard & main lobby. Kudos to the chef he prepared food that was awesome and delivered most dishes himself. Not to be polite but I think it was the only way people could get their food hot. Wait staff sucked unless you were male. Waited over 1/2 hr to order a 2nd drink, went to bar and was totally ignored. Left table without paying and waited at the door to see if we would be missed, after about 10 mins we had to request the check, and shared our experience with the waitress who stated "that table is too hard to get to". We did not visit this bar again instead we drove 20 miles for service. Back to hotel.. if you can get the bathrooms to not leak or make noise the rooms are wonderful, quiet, clean, dark at night. Towels and lbedding are very clean and nice. Stocked kitchenette offers a final way of avoiding the bar and could be used for minimal cooking. Lanai attached to each. Some of the units are self owned and differ. The pool area is very nice large pool and a lot of seating. The Marina offers views of gators, manatees and bald eagles. Highly recommend having "BOB" from the hotel take you out on a raft ride. So would I stay again??? I really don't know part of me was so disappointed (bar and bathrooms combined) I would say NO NO NO. Knowing that is not fair as they are not owned by the same I would have to say possibly. Can I overlook two rooms with bathroom issues really can't say, I guess if I was in the area I may stay only after cking on the bathroom before checking in. Go at your own risk, ck the bathrooms before you unpack.

Stayed: April 2018
1  Thank lpski
SunStream M, General Manager at Port of the Islands Everglades Adventure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2018

Hi lpski-
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are truly sorry for the maintenance issues with your bathroom and the poor service at the restaurant. We take both of these seriously and I will be following up with both teams. This is not the experience we aim to deliver. Thank you for sharing your feedback as it allows us to identify where we can improve. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.