“Excellent location but a tiny, old-fashioned, dirty cabin.”

Captiva Island Inn Bed & Breakfast
“Excellent location but a tiny, old-fashioned, dirty cabin.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

The cabins are perfectly located in a prime, tourist-friendly location. The beach is only a short walk away (avoiding the ridiculous island traffic at sunset is a huge plus!), as are all of the tourist gift shops and galleries. Our visit was short and during the week, and I couldn't have asked for a better location to sleep--but little else could be done. I was grateful for the beautiful weather. The service staff threw away some starfish we had collected when the tide went out (which really upset my children!), and didn't make our bed or clean our bathroom for the entire three days we spent there. Overall, it was an affordable alternative to the resort, and allowed us the time to explore the island and plan our own vacation.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank FunTimesInErie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We came here for the weekend and stayed in Hannah's room in the celebration house. It was beautiful. The location was perfect, the room was very clean and the management could not have been nicer. You can't believe the location,,plenty to do,,walking distance to some great restaurants, marina and bike rental,,,also just a short walk to beach. Thanks for a great getaway,,can't wait to come back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

My partner and I are touring Florida and just had to stay on Captiva. We had heard so much about it that it was our total goal. The Island was packed to the hilt, traffic down the main road was dead stop and at best 15 miles per hour. We made the mistake of going off the Island ( it will cost you $6.00 to get back on there precious little peice of paradise). The hotel was OK I have stayed at better and worse, but for the money we paid I thought it was quite pricey.

Parking was horrible and the room could have been a bit cleaner than we found it. The air conditioner made a terrible noise and we didnt sleep well.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rick b
cape coral
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

I reserved the Periwinkle loft specifically because it had 2 beds and we had 4 people staying, the " extra" 2 people who I paid an additional $50 for. The young man working when I checked in told me they had changed my room with no explanation. He stated his boss would be back around 3:00 if I wanted to come back and discuss it with him. We had a car full of things to unload and plans to meet with our other guests so it wasn't at all convenient to come back later to complain. The Mimosa cottage is where we ended up and we will never go back. The sleeper sofa was very uncomfortable to say the least. I didn't want to sit on the furniture ( stained and sticky) The shower curtain was disgusting. Thank goodness we were there for only 1 night!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank linda k

Travellers are raving about these Captiva Island hotels

Springfield, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

We were “there” because we were meeting family and it was the last available room in the area. “Old Florida” charm??? I’m “old” Florida - having slept “somewhere or other” 25,916 times in my life - this joint was the worse of the 25,916.

It was - dirty with smells of odd sorts blowing here-and-there. It was - broken down wicker furniture too small to accommodate clothes, and a suspect door lock, and window shades bent and broken so that we had to hang-up towels for privacy.

No “charm” was allowed in or near this place; I moved the sofa to bar the door at night, and something looking like a 1950s orange was stuck to the floor. Because it was the last room/cottage available anywhere in the area - we paid $300+ a night – it would have been overpriced at $30 a night. Were I in my 60s and not my 70s I would have slept outside.

We complained – they gave us $90 off a near $1000 three-day bill.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Doug B
Springfield, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

If your idea of "old Florida" is a musty smelling room, a dirty stained sofa, a lumpy bed, and furniture from the 80's, then this is the place for you. I understand and appreciate the fact the owners are trying to preserve "old Florida", but the price we paid for "old Florida" was ridiculous.
We reserved the Jasmine cottage for three nights to vacation with family who were staying at Tween Waters. (They were booked). As soon as I walked into the cottage I knew it was going to be a long three days. The room smelled musty regardless of the constant running of the ceiling fans, and the bedspread and sheets smelled the same. The bathroom had a sewery smell with a fan was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think. The shower was in a separate room with slick floor tile and a step to navigate. The old blinds harkened from the 80's and no longer worked. The grounds weren't well kept and included an empty rusting paper machine, fake plants in pots along with real dying ones, and at our cottage, a rotting door that led to nowhere.On the second day, the only service provided to our room were a few towels left in the bathroom. No bed making or room cleaning that I could discern.

Since my husband and I decided to leave "old Florida" as soon as possible on our check out day and couldn't utilize the breakfast provided at 8:00 a.m., I asked if we could be given a credit. At the same time I expressed our dislike of the room and the rate and asked if there was anything cheaper we could stay in for our final night. I was told they were solidly booked and no breakfast credit could be given. Shortly thereafter the staff person came by and had slightly discounted our room. While the discount was appreciated, it was still grossly overpriced.

I firmly believe with some updating and cleaning they could preserve "old Florida" and make it into the cozy, charming place they advertise it to be.

The upside; location.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank 2kritters
corbanc, Manager at Captiva Island Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
The hotel was unaware of any displeasure this guest had until the last day when the guest asked for substantial discount because of their early departure and they were not going to be eating breakfast, the guest said "unless they were given a discount they would write discrediting things on "trip advisor" about this hotel."

We hope that readers take into account that while "Trip Advisor" is a great tool for honest reviews some dis-honest people have made it a tool for extorting a businesses and other unfair business practices.
Fort Lauderdale
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

We had read some negative reviews....so we weren't sure what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived....it is everything we expected. This place has an old Florida feel to it. The room was clean....dated accordingly.....plenty of towels...and has a great location.
We LOVED having free breakfast. We ate breakfast at RC Otters both mornings and lunch and dinner at Keylime Bistro....totally loved the grilled salad!!!!!!!!!!!
We rented a tandem bike at YOLO which is 5 minutes up the road....and spent time walking the beach...which is also a 5 minute walk....we utilized the free use of beach chairs and umbrella!
The only negative is that we left a muffin in a to go box on the counter next to the sink overnight and it had ants all over it the next morning.....but this is pretty normal for FL. Next time we will put it in the fridge.
I think this is a good value for the money...and the best location to be near everything.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
#6 of 19 in Sanibel Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,623 reviews

Been to Captiva Island Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!