“Nice place”

The Point Hotel & Suites
Ranked #20 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This was a very nice hotel. It was clean, modern, and upscale. It doesn't have the atmosphere the Disney Resorts do, but it doesn't have the price tag either. The rooms themselves were nicer than any Disney Resort we've stayed at in the past. If you are looking for an excellent stay, and you don't care about what your view is, this is the best secret in Orlando. Be prepared to drive to the theme parks; however, as the the theme park shuttle service is very limited - only one drop off and pick up time - which is after park opening and before park closing.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view - make sure you get a pool view - otherwise you will be looking at hi...

Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed 3 days at this resort mid-week in February to visit Universal. Pros include cleanliness of room, full kitchen, large bath with a one-person jetted tub, towels at the pool, and being on the I drive Trolley route. The cons included non-disclosed fees, on-site food, advertised shuttle, management communication. I booked this trip through SouthWest vacations looking for a good quality hotel close to Universal for the $. I was looking in the 4-star category. In Orlando there are a lot of nice hotels and heavy competition for the tourist $ with prices being very competitive. The stay was in the OK to Good range. Nothing really special but it was nice. It wasn't very busy. 1-5 in pool or at outside bar/grill. Upon check-in this hotel required a $75 deposit for "incidentals" which some hotels do...No problem but no additional fees discussed. Standard check-in process. We had breakfast for two at the hotel which was $22. I felt it was a little expensive for a small spread and had to pay for coffee separate but not a huge deal. The advertised free shuttle only ran once per day in each direction leaving at 7:45AM and pick up was scheduled 1.5 hours after the park closed which was 7:30PM. No other options for free...ended up taking a cab($10). My surprise came at check-out when I expected to pay that $22 for breakfast and found my room tab was the breakfast plus $39 additional in RESORT FEES. $13 / day that wasn't disclosed to me up front / during the booking process on Southwest / or anytime. I asked what the $13 paid for and was told it was a fee always charged. I asked why they don't include it in the price they advertise and was met with blank stares. I needed to leave for the airport so I decided I would call management upon my return home. I did 3 times and was transferred to a management company (no manager on site?) and each time my call wasn't returned. I would not recommend staying here based off these underhanded business practices. If this is legal I don't know why every hotel doesn't charge $100s in Resort Fees and still be able to advertise low prices. This place charges $91 EXTRA / WEEK for standard hotel amenities

Room Tip: If able...walking .4 miles up the road past the Wet n Wild is an easier and quicker way to get on th...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
16  Thank Mason M
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My family and I have just returned from a 6 day stay at the Point Orlando and must say that the whole experience exceeded our expectations.
We had a 2 bedroom suite which felt like home from home and gave the 4 of us the space to spread out and unwind after a day at the parks.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is visiting Orlando and we will return ourselves in the future.

Room Tip: Would recommend a 2 bedroom suite for 4 or more guests
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We stayed here as a couple for 4 night. Staff were very helpful the pool was great the poolside bar a lot of fun. Walking distance to resteraunts bus to the theme
Parks

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Great place! We stayed for 7 days over spring break with our six year old. We visited all the Disney parks and it was a 15 minute drive to all the parks. We didn't use their shuttle service because it was our first visit to Disney and didnt know how much our daughter could handle. Condo was just right for us, bed was not too comfortable but it worked out, pool was great and pool bar was convenient although a bit expensive. The only disappointment was that we had to pay for coffee for the kurig. Overall we had a great time when we were there and not at the parks!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This is a hotel/condo crossbreed. "Rooms" are suites. Ours was a one-bedroom, which consisted of a kitchen, living room, bedroom, and large bathroom with separate shower and tub. It also had a balcony. T

he place was neat and clean. The kitchen had everything we needed (from dishes to cookware to a blender and utensils). There also was a washer and dryer in the room. The bedroom had a king size bed and the pullout couch was nice and clean (so often, pull out couches in hotels and condos are nasty; this one was clean and looked relatively new). The mattress in the bedroom was okay, but not the most comfortble. There also was a washer and dryer in the unit. Everything was in working order.

Because this is more condo than hotel, daily housekeeping service consists simply of replenishing towels, laundry and dishwashing soap. If you want full service -- bathroom cleaned, beds made, etc., there's an extra charge ($15).

There's a small but plentiful buffet for breakfast (I think it was $9.95). Lunch and dinner are available at the poolside cabana. We found the food to be satisfactory, at best. That's the extent of the food service on the property. We found a Publix near the convention center about 5 miles down the road and stocked our kitchen there. Made most of our breakfasts and lunches in the suite.

As for the location: it is, indeed, convenient to Universal (it's just a few miles down the road), Wet and Wild (which is on the same block) and to nearby shops and restaurants. But it isn't in a posh area. Although there are a few other (huge) hotels on the block, it's also a rather industrial area (an auto parts/autobody shop is on one side of the hotel) where there's much vacant land, presumably waiting to be developed. If you care about the view from your room, ask to oversee the pool. Else, your view will be of vacant land or, like ours, of an auto body shop.

The pool is well-maintained and sufficient, but not huge. That said, it was never terribly crowded and my two kids and I had a good time playing and swimming around.

Staff was very friendly and helpful, from the groundskeeper to the front desk.

All in all, a good value. Although, for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would go to Orlando for spring break. It was our first, and last, trip there in April. We were impressed with the theme parks, but the crowds and lines are for people with a lot more patience than I have. Two-plus hour waits for rides? Unbelievable.......

Room Tip: If you care about the view from your room, ask to overlook the pool.
2  Thank Atoz4
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Our stay at The Point has been a pleasant one. Our 1 bedroom suite was well-appointed - king bed, massive bathroom, sitting area, washer/dryer, fridge, stove, balcony... Did a take-out breakfast from The Bistro and a light dinner from The Cabana Bar and Grill - nothing fancy but both were good. Hotel is within walking distance of International Drive where you can catch the I-ride trolley, less than a minute from Wet n Wild and 15 minutes from the Florida Mall. Front desk staff - Juan, Pablo, Stephanie et al, went out of their way to ensure our stay was a good one. If you are traveling by taxi to and from the hotel, be sure to ask for a metered taxi or you will get ripped off! As mentioned in other reviews, there is no wi-fi in rooms, only in the lobby and by the pool. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple