“My Family Liked this Hotel”

Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando
Ranked #166 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Troy Michigan
“My Family Liked this Hotel”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My family spent most of our week in Orlando at this hotel. The room prices are reasonable for its location. The place looks nice and neat and well maintained. It's hard to remember that this is a Holiday Inn. The building dimensions seemed like an older Holiday Inn, but the decor was newer --though I did not like the brown with green color scheme. The standard room available in the vast majority of the building is two double beds which were firm and comfortable (at least mine was). My room had a microwave and minifridge. The bathroom was very small, and it was difficult keeping it filled with the proper amount of towels. We had to go down daily and request more towels. The room, however, is larger than most for this type of room. So, we could bring in a roll away bed for $10 per night since my kids cannot share a double bed well yet we still had plenty of room to walk around. Holday Inn even included enough chairs in the room for four people to sit at once. Free in-room WiFi was welcomed. Coffee is only available in the hotel rooms, and food of any type is only available from the TGI Fridays attached to the building. This Fridays was almost always open to accomodate the park-going crowds.

The pool is not as big as the on-line pictures want you to believe, but one end of the pool goes to 8 feet 6 inches deep which makes it more fun for the older kids to play in. The pool area could use more lounge chairs and umbrellad tables. But the pool was my kids' favorite part of the hotel since they made friends there. The hotel is situated so you can walk to the Universal Orlando parks, and we saw may people take the walk across the street to do so. A hotel shuttle consisting of a Ford van is available for use too, but you must reserve your seats for the busy parks' opening and closing times. We drove to the parks since we needed to be in line for Harry Potter before 7 am!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Waterford, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This hotel is across from the entrance to universal. Like the other reviews say, it's a 15 minute walk to the entrance of universal city walk. The hotel shuttles fill up fast, so if you can't get on the shuttle, be prepared to walk or drive your car and pay to $15 to park. This hotel isn't near anything else so again, be prepared to drive for food, drinks, entertainment etc. TGIF FRIDAYS is on site but that's your only Food option.
The rooms have been refreshed and the suite we have is nice. Two double beds in the bedroom with a closet and tv. We are staying in a handicapped accessible room, so the bathroom has a large shower/no tub. Unfortunately, the shower curtain does not touch the floor so each time you shower the entire bathroom floor gets wet. The living room/kitchenette is good for our needs, though not enough dishware if a whole family were to eat a meal in the room, and no dining table either.
The pool is just ok too. Its been renovated recently with a nice arbor that will eventually have mature plants on it to provide shade. It's not really a great place to hang out. No hot tub, to tiki bar (and Fridays a walk through the hotel.) not a lot of seating and only 4 umbrellas for shade. There is a fenced in splash pool for little kids, which is great if that's who your traveling with.

Other info: There's a small arcade for kids, and a gift shop that has most essentials. You can buy universal tickets on site, budget rental is on site also. The onside laundry is convenient and costs $2 each load. You can also get information about holiday inn vacation club, which has timeshares in nearby Kissimmee ( orange lake resort-it's fabulous! We were unable to get a room there this trip and we are really missing it.). The staff here are very friendly and the common areas as well as the rooms are very clean. Overall, a nice hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Jenniferandkids,

Thank you for comments, and recent stay. I am pleased to see you enjoyed your time at the hotel, and appreciate your feedback on areas were we can improve. We are always looking to be the best we can be, and feedback like yours will help us to do so. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future.

Ben J
IHG Care
Waldorf, Maryland
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Good Hotel but rather stayed at a resort for the price we paid. Close to shops, food and Universal Studios. Would I recommend it, kinda. The staff was great but watch out for those Resort package deal people. They only tell you the basics and not the fine print. If you get a package PLEASE...PLEASE read the fine print on the back but there are a bunch of fees that they don't tell you about.

If you are looking for a place to rest your head then this place is great. Oh my goodness, the freaking TVs are slow as crap when changing the channels. It was getting on my nerves! The room we had didn't have locks on the bathrooms or bedroom doors. Crazy right! We had a sign up to not disturb and they still came in and cleaned up one room. Nothing else, just one room. The bowls are small and the silverware is stained so bring your own if that concerns you. My wife didn't like the smell of the room but either did I.

The pool was warm but the kids pool was very cold.

Here is my video that I did of the room - http://youtu.be/g8j62thp96U

1 Thank lamont m
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I stayed here four nights at a very good rate as a result of bidding on a popular hotel bidding website. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from CityWalk, the entrance to Universal Studios. Pool area seemed very nice as well. I did not like the business center--there was a charge to use the internet on their PC's at a cost of 25 cents per minute!! However, there is free wifi that seemed to work well. The restaurant was not a traditional Holiday Inn establishment; instead it was a TGI Friday's. This restaurant did serve breakfast, however. There are numerous restaurants within walking distance, as well as a drug store.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ONUalum
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Take the Kirkman Road exit off of interstate.
Hotel staff was very pleasant and helpful. You can purchase Universal Studio tickets ahead of time right inside the lobby of the hotel and save any possible wait line inside the park.
Not a huge bathroom, but rooms were very clean and comfortable.
There are extra mirrors in the room so one person can use while someone else is in the bathroom which made it less of a problem having a small bathroom.
Rooms were stocked with the normal amenities (hair dryer, shampoo/conditioner, coffee maker, flat screen TV). Soft, fluffy linens on the beds.
There is a TGI Fridays restaurant right next to the hotel. The food there was really good and the wait staff was accomodating. At times the parking lot at the hotel was really full, but hotel staff said anyone can park in TGI Friday's lot, as hotel security checks that lot at night as well as the actual hotel lot.
The hotel is directly across the street from Universal Studio Park. If you decide to walk to the park from the hotel, it will take about 10-15 minutes because you have to cross a fairly large highway, walk through a parking garage lot, and travel across about three people movers before you actually set foot inside the park. However, you won't have to worry about parking your car at the park so there is an advantage having a hotel so close to the park. If you choose to take a cab, it will cost you between $6 to $9 dollars.
We really enjoy nightlife and had fun at Margaritaville (which had a live rock band). Since we are such night owls and stay up so late, we requested a late check-out from the hotel and the staff was very glad to provide it to us.
The room cost at this hotel was about half what we would have paid at one of the three hotels inside Universal. For us, it just made sense. We would stay at this Holiday Inn again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank rockdrums
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 March 2012

This hotel was definitely below Holiday Inn's norm! It just needs renovating. The room was large and parking/Internet were both free which is a nice plus.

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank Soki816
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Dear Soki816,

Thank you for your review . I am sorry to hear that you did not find our hotel to your satisfaction; however I appreciate that you have provided us with valuable feedback so that we may improve. Best wishes for future travels.

Katie J
IHGCare
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I feel it is my responsibly to let people know of the misconduct going on at this hotel. Yes I contacted management on site and through website and advised them that I was going to write this review. My daughter and I stayed in the holiday inn universal in february 2012 over winter break. We were walked in on twice (not once but twice) by two men with the maintenance staff. My daughter is 16 and getting ready to get in the shower the first time, she was in her undergarments and was terrified. The maintenance staff stood there and appologized in spanish and backed out of the room. The second time (next day) it was two maintenance men and I was there, they did the same thing, stood there with the door open appologized in spanish and backed out of the room. One of the men was the same one from the previous day. Management told me they would check into the matter and offered my daughter and I breakfast....unbelievable!!! when I got home I immediately sent an email to David Hall the Director of Operations, he called me a MR vs MRS and I was very clear about it being two females in the room he then offered me a free future stay....Obviously NOT!!! So if you are planning on traveling to Orlando Florida, I would NOT stay at this hotel if you value your safety and/or will be traveling with teenage daughters. It is not safe and I have no reason to believe this matter has been taken seriously. I will be contacting legal counsil because now my daughter can no longer stay in hotels without fear of being walked in on by a strange man/men. I travel monthly for work and now sleep with lights on in the room, this is a vacation we will never forget (for all the wrong reasons).

Room Tip: Not First Floor Room 114