“hotel is nice - area is so-so”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Orlando-Ocoee East
Ranked #235 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Boston, MA
“hotel is nice - area is so-so”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I booked this hotel for 3 days based on the reviews I read.
Good: it is very convenient to the Disney Theme Parks, the hotel is fairly new (built in 2009), rooms are OK, nice furniture, large dining ears for free breakfast buffet, ample parking. Lots of stores heading WEST on SR-50. Large Flat screen TV, nice office chair if you need to work at the desk. Modern furniture. MIcrowave, refigerator, etc. Comfortable bed.

Not so good: The location borders an area known for some of Orlando's highest crime rates. (weast on SR-50 to Kirkman Rd and you will discover this. Avoid the the Metrowest area (Pine Hills, etc). The carpeting in my room looked very worn considering the hotel was just built in 2009 and being 3 years old. The shower head was old and the water flow was weak - again just OK, but it will take longer for showers, so plan accordingly. Wireless internet was weak (on the 3rd floor 20 ft from an elevator). Entrance to hotel is hard to see at first.

Conclusion. I've always had decent experiences with the Holiday Inn brand, but this was not one of the better places I've stayed in for 2 reasons: I was nervous about the location, and the rugs were loaded with allergens I got very stuffed-up in the room after only being inside it for a few minutes. However, the hotel is new and very nice on the outside. Parking seems to be plentiful, and Logan's Steakhouse is next door to the hotel. I still got a good value staying here and it was evident that they're trying to improve the hotel and customer service.

Tip: don't wear your shoes in hotel rooms - you bring all the allergens and dirt in from outside and it permanently stays in the rug). Walmart and other stores are located if you drive WEST on SR-50 towards Clermont (Panera, Walmart, Target, Starbucks, tons of restaurants).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
Fort Myers
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Spacious rooms with nice padded desk chair. Bathroom has shelves to hold your stuff. Closet is very tiny and not deep enough to hold your clothes hanging straight. The room has that noisy wall a/c unit that naturally runs constantly. The bathroom light comes on with the fan, and that is also noisy. My room had a microwave and fridge, which was nice.
The bed had a choice of firm and soft pillows and was comfortable. However, there was only a sheet and light comforter, no blanket in the room at all. Free wireless and free parking.
The breakfast was much better than other hotels with eggs, gravy, biscuits. The front desk staff was very pleasant. There are several restaurants nearby. The business center is in the lobby so no privacy. Good value for the money.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Cooper City, fl
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I haven't stayed at a “Holiday Inn” in many years based on previous bad experiences; however I must say that I was pleasantly surprised.
First, the hotel is centrally located, the staff was very helpful and nice, the beds were comfortable, room was clean and nicely prepared, you can tell that the management cares.
The hotel also offered FREE hot breakfast, the standard scrambled eggs, toast, waffles, cereals, etc.. however we didn't eat there, we just had other plans.
There were a few negatives issues, there were only two bath towels in the room instead of four, the Wall Paper in hall way leading to the elevator had crumbled up and was coming off, in the same hallway there were lots of "MM's" on the floor, however these issues are not enough to influence my review of the hotel,.
Overall it was very good; I would stay there again...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Stayed 2 nights in October and enjoyed the stay. Staff was super friendly. Loved the jaccuzi.

Convienient to restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Medic2430
Monroe, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I enjoyed a 5 night stay with a friend at the Holiday Inn Express in Ocoee Florida. I was there to visit with relatives and go to Halloween Horror at Universal. I picked this Hotel for the location mainly. The rooms were clean, the staff was very friendly and helpful & we enjoyed the free breakfast every morning. The Hotel is located behind Logan's Roadhouse. I would recommend stopping at Logan's. It is a peanut bar & restaurant. Yes the shells are thrown on the floor! My next visit to Ocoee I would stay at this Hotel again. The pool is nice and they also provide computers in lobby for your convenience. When having breakfast check out the pancake maker! The price is right too!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Great Time at this hotel. The Free Breakfast was sooo good! Loved the pancake machine and the scrambled eggs. Room was clean and bed was very comfortable! Logan's Roadhouse was just across the street. Would highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lots2See4Me
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 16 July 2011

I travelled to Orlando to have spine surgery, this hotel was close to hospital and convenient. I reserved 2 weeks of time at this hotel to allow for pre and post surgery recovery. During my stay the staff was friendly and helpful, room was clean and service was pretty good. One look at the breakfast buffet and I grabbed an OJ and headed off site to eat. The morning Of surgery I requested a 5:30 am wake up call which was never received. Luckily I had a back up alarm.
Recovery was quicker then expected, and I informed the front desk that I would be leaving earlier then expected. Keilee stated that that it would be no problem since i was on a day to day bases. I did leave the hotel 1 week earlier then originally intended. This is when the problems started. Keilee now informed me that since I reserved this hotel "online"that I was not entitled to a refund or credit for the remained of my stay saying there are "restrictions". The manager supposedly confirmed this via phone conversation with Keilee and other staff. The manager never spoke to me. Reviewing my confirmation found no language indicating that changes were not allowed. Upon returning home I tried to contact the manager, instead of the staff taking a message and my number the instructed me to try and call back.
My next step will be to contact the corporate office and VISA.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Dalea_11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Best Western Orlando West
#228 of 336 in Orlando
Edgewater Hotel
#1 of 5 in Winter Garden
Comfort Suites Downtown
#152 of 336 in Orlando
Florida Center
Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Orlando-Ocoee East? Share your experiences!