“Great staff, beautiful area, not worth the money”
Review of Eo Inn

Eo Inn
Ranked #231 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 March 2009

We found the hotel and spa staff both to be professional and friendly. The spa services we had (massage, facial, pedicure) were exceptional. This part of Orlando (Lake Eola) was unique and surprising. We spent a lot of time birdwatching and picnicking on the lake. The accommodations leave much to be desired. Our room was very tiny with a small bathroom that had no room for our toiletries. The walls are so thin I could hear someone snoring next door every night. The advertised hot tub was very dirty and was cleaned a couple of days after we complained. Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but thought it pricey considering the accommodations.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
eoinn, Owner at Eo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2010

We have really great deals running year round now. Being competitive and fair is one of our biggests goals as a business and accommodations provider.

Reviewed 27 February 2009

I stayed for one night at the Eo Inn. I arrived on a Sunday night at about 8 pm and knew in advance that there would be no staff working at that time. The instructions for the lock box were fine, but when I got there, the lock box was sitting open and my key (and someone else's) were just sitting for anyone to take...with my name and the other person's name on the envelopes and personal information inside. If I had not already paid for the room, I would have left at that point. When I got up to the room, it was fine, not the luxury that they touted as a "spa" but decent and seemed clean for the most part. No tub, just a shower with no curtain so the entire bathroom got wet. Overall ok but I would not stay there again. As a woman traveling alone my safety and security needs to be first priority.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank IntlEdRoadWarrior
eoinn, Owner at Eo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2010

The lock box is used and based on an honor system with our guests. Each guest is to use the box, retrieve their key and lock the box again. Only our late arrivals are given the instructions for the box. Our property is listed as a boutique hotel with a spa located on our second floor. I apologize if this was misleading. We have worked very hard to try and correct any misgivings that may have been online previously to ensure all of our guests are aware of the quaint boutique hotel that we are. We also have a 24 hour Innkeeper who can be reached by calling anytime with any problems whatsoever. The number for the Innkeeper is listed on our front door, in the instruction letter included in the late arrival envelope, in the hotel room and outside in our telephone box should any guest need assistance. Most of our rooms have a walk in glass shower with an opening to enter and exit out of.

Reviewed 4 February 2009

We found out about this hotel through a hotel search site but got a better deal through the hotel's own website. The staff was very helpful and truely friendly. The hotel was a little smaller than we thought but it made up for it with it's view and upscale decore. We loved the location since we were going to the arena for a basketball game. Plus there was so much to do downtown. The only other negitive I could say is that when anyone was in the hallway you could hear them but we loved this hotel and will prefer to only stay here with all of our future trips.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2009

I saw their website prior to reading the reviews. I tried to book the room online originally, but never received a confirmation. My friend did the same thing. I called back and they said they did not have a reservation for us, so they made it then. I was looking for a cheap hotel in downtown Orlando after a Sales Conference near Disney, we paid $115.00 per room. A friend and I stayed two nights here after our conference to hang out for a bit. The young lady at the front desk was extremely polite and helpful (and cute), and we got into our rooms in minutes......it was not crowded that I could tell. This is a tough property to review, so I will do my best. I think that people, as I did, viewed the property via the web and had certain expectations. You will easily be disappointed if you approach this property with this in mind. That said, here are some observations;

1. The location, it's prime selling point, is second to none!!! We were looking for a place that we could go bar and restaurant hopping on foot, and this was it. For that reason I would come back.

2. Room was small, so what. We were out having fun. It was nice and quiet, and cleanliness was not an issue.

3. GREAT bars, shops and restaurants within walking distance, as well as a beautiful lake across the street. We met lot's of friendly people during our stay.

4. They have a Day Spa on the 2nd floor, where there are also rooms. I think it is probably mostly used by locals. We didnt partake, but if the price was right, I think it would be nice. Very discreet, and not crowded.

5. The hotel was much better than many of the reviews here state. If you are looking for a full service hotel, this may not be the place, but then again it might..........

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2009

This hotel is a complete joke. It looks like some apartment complex that they tried to paint in funky colors and hang art makes the hotel a boutique hotel. The bathroom in our room looked like a prison issued sink. It was dirty and smaller than my dorm room bathroom. There is NO front desk person. You have to get your keys out of a lock box that they just gave me the combination over the phone with no proof it was me. I have no idea how many people have that lock box combo, but it is NOT safe. My wife refused to stay in the room. We went there for our anniversary and turned around and drove home to Tampa. I dont care what kind of a deal this hotel looks like, it is NOT worth it. Stay at the Guinn or Gaylord before you stay here. The only nice thing was that it was near Church Street, but not close enough to walk. Rarely do I make this big of a mistake on hotels, but I was taken for a ride on this hotnel. Stay away..........

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phoose1022
eoinn, Owner at Eo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2010

Only our late arrivals guaranteed with one night's deposit are allowed to have the key box intstructions. Also, our 24 hour innkeeper is always available and more than willing to help all of our guests who need assistance. Our doors are alwyys locked and only accessed by our staff and our hotel guests with keys. Our front desk is open no later than 8a.m and up until 7p.m. We do our very best to answer each guests request whether on property or not.

Reviewed 1 November 2008

We just got home from a stay at the Eo Inn, and I must say the hotel was not as bad as some reviews have claimed. Yes, the rooms were a bit smaller than more conventional accommodations. And the balcony is indeed a shared amenity, separated from other guests by a shower curtain type divider. Other than that, the Inn offers a very quaint and comfortable experience.

The room was clean, and well appointed. The bed was comfortable, with clean linens and pillows. The bath room was clean and provided a larger than usual shower. The proximity to Lake Eola Park and Downtown Orlando was very convenient as we were able to enjoy the nightlife on Halloween evening and the Lake Eola Art Festival the next morning. The staff was helpful and polite, and Panera Bread Company on the first floor entry provided a much needed boost of good coffee to get the morning started.

We did not use the hot tub on the veranda, but it was working and available for use. Due to time restraints we did not not use the spa services. The art work throughout the Inn was very nice. We also took a room on the top floor, so I can not attest to the claims that the floor noise from rooms above kept previous guests up all night.

In short, the Eo Inn provided a good stay at a very reasonable price. It is a quaint little building built in the 20's and located in a very pretty area, both added to the experience. It was far better than staying in some cookie cutter franchise motel that dots the I-4 area of Orlando.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2008

We stayed at the EO Inn for several nights for a combination business/pleasure trip. We wanted to stay somewhere that was a bit off the beaten path, away from the typical large resort-style hotels closer to Disney World, and the EO Inn definitely fit that bill. But we ended up being disappointed overall in our stay.

The best thing about the EO Inn is its location in the lovely Thornton Park neighborhood. It sits at the edge of Lake Eola park (although contrary to the Inn's website, few rooms actually have any type of view of the park or the lake, and I would suspect that even those views aren't that great, since the Inn is located at the far edge of the park). The park is beautiful, and a great place for a stroll. You are also within easy walking distance of many restaurants and shops (we recommend the nearby Hue restaurant for a splurge). There is also a Panera bakery/sandwich/coffee shop in the first floor of the building, which is handy.

But aside from the location, I don't have a lot of good things to say about the EO Inn. As many others reviewers on here have written, the rooms are very small. We barely had enough space to walk around the bed. So don't plan on spending any time in your room; it would drive you crazy.

We also experienced a serious noise problem. On our first night we stayed in a room on the second floor (it's a three-story building). We could hear every single footstep of the person staying in the room above us. The floor above us would creak loudly with every footstep. Unfortunately for us, this person seemed to like to walk around the room endlessly, and began doing so around 5:00 in the morning, waking us up and preventing us from getting back to sleep. That day we requested to be moved to a room on the top floor (the third floor), and the Inn was able to oblige. So if you decide to stay at the EO, be sure to request a room on the third floor.

You should also know that the air conditioners in the rooms are VERY loud. The air conditioner in our first room was an older model and it took a long time to kick in. The air conditioner in our second room was newer (it had digital controls rather than the manual dials of the AC in the first room), but it was just as loud as the older model.

Another serious problem was that the Inn's wireless Internet connection - which is highly touted on its website - never worked the entire time we stayed there! The only saving grace was that Panera provides free WiFi, so we had to go down there with our laptop whenever we wanted to access the Internet - helpful but still a real pain.

We found the EO Inn staff to be unfriendly and not very helpful. We seemed to be a bother to them. When I complained about the Interent not working, the person at the front desk seemed like he couldn't care less. As others have noted, there are no staff on duty after 7 p.m., which is rather odd. We happened to arrive on the first night after 7, so we had to access our key from a bizarre little lockbox that we couldn't get to work. (Fortunately for us, another guest happened to pass by and help us out.)

Other tidbits: We found the bed to be OK but not as comfortable as some other reviewers found it. The linens were so-so. They seemed to keep the rooms fairly clean. Our room had a balcony (which overlooked an empty lot), but it's not a private balcony because it's separated from the other rooms' balconies by nothing more than a thin hanging sheet.

Overall, I really can't recommend the EO Inn to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank davidbruce
eoinn, Owner at Eo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2010

We have recently updated our linens, wifi accessibilty, mattresses, key box accessibility and customer service has greatly improved with detailed feedback such as this. We appreciate all feedback from out guests and try our best to improve with each suggestion.