“If money is no object.....”

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 2 March 2012

This hotel is nice but is too pricy. The rooms are "old floridian" style when in fact they just seem outdated. They seem to get away with not updating as dictating theme. The pools were ok . The actual beach part for my older kids was really a joke. The restaurants here are none of my favorites but at least Chef Mickey's and Ohanas are on the monorail. Need a really good price to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank dansee
There are newer reviews for Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

Reviewed 29 February 2012

Stayed at the Grand Floridian before our Disney cruise. Magic express was great. The hotel staff greeted us by name at the bus. Checked-in online and the room was ready for us before noon.
Transportation to and from the hotel is very easy. I enjoyed going to MK on the monorail and returning on the boat.
The service and facilities were great. Food just OK.
Our luggage was picked up from our room and delivered to the ship without any problems.
Would recommend staying at a Disney property if you are planning a Disney cruise.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2012

we visit Disney often and have stayed at several of the other Disney hotel's. ( beach Club, Board Walk, S&D, etc) This has ben the best yet. we stayed here for 7 days at the end of January. we stayed in the Sugar Loaf Bldg and the Staff wasa excellent and the rooms were very clean. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. It is worht the $$$$

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank tapow
Reviewed 27 February 2012

This is the 5th time we have been to the GF. Not our choice but for a conference. Last year we had a disastrous time whereas they assigned us a room that was occupied when we walked into it and it took 1.5 hrs before we were assigned a new room. However I am writing this review based on our experience this past week Feb 23 -26.
First of all check in was a breeze. I think they had our name flagged as we were greeted at the valet center by a staff member who already had us checked in and took us directly to our room. What a difference from last year. However we were not happy when we went through the gates with our rental car where they demanded to see our photo ID. I asked "Are we in prison" We were not given a satisfactory answer to this other than the usual "It's for your protection". The problem I have with this is that anyone can take the monorail to GF and gain access to the grounds--no questions asked, but a legitimate guest is given an inquisition.
The room is the same as it always has been--it has not been updated in 5 yrs. The furniture is good quality but is somewhat dog eared. I agree with other reviewers regarding the dated bedspreads. We were initially assigned a double queen rm. but they did move us as soon as possible to a king. The computers were down when we arrived and they could not access them right away to reassign. As a couple the king room is better as there is more overall room. I loved the fact that they gave us plenty of towels without having to ask for more. The towels were a good size and nice and fluffy. I did not care for the shampoo as it obviously has an astringent in it and was rough when it spattered in my eye by accident. As some have mentioned, there were not the usual amenities that you would expect in the room but I think if you asked for a shower cap you could probably get one. The tv is nice but their channels are very limited. They had at least 5 kids Disney channels, 3 stations advertising the hotel or Disney, 2 hispanic stations, 2 Japanese stations and 2 tv evangelist stations, 2 news stations (they did not include Fox news). All the rooms have a private balcony which is good if you have a view room (we did not). No issue with the cleanliness of the rooms. Size was adequate for us but probably awful with kids. But then they don't expect you to do much in the room but sleep! Rooms have fridges which is a real plus if you have a car and do some light grocery shopping outside of DW.
Dining--see my review of Victoria and Alberts. Their cafe restaurant has a very limited menu as all the DW restaurants do. I told the server I could not find anything to fit my diet and they happily made me a grilled chicken salad plate.They get a plus for that. Their 24 hr. cafeteria serve yourself restaurant does not give prices for anything except the stuff you order from their grill. They have a refrigerated area with prepackaged things, beverages and some serve yourself pastries---none of them have prices. I complained to the cashier about this. Most people want to know what prices are. I knew in advance that you needed reservations for most of the dining but came to realize that there is something really wrong with their reservation system. We tried to get a reservation for 8:00 for one restaurant but were told that the earliest was 9:15. When we arrived , we were the 2nd table seated and there were at least half of the tables empty while we were there. We had a similar case at another restaurant at the Contemporary.
Staff--In all instances, they were courteous and helpful. They were almost too happy at times.
We had a problem on our last day with no hot water in our building (5). I asked to be given another room to shower and they drove me over to it in a golf cart and picked me up when I was finished. They also gave me late checkout without a problem. They seemed very accommodating--what you would expect from this class of hotel.
Other--The lobby decor is wonderful. The nightly band playing is enticing. The pianist is great but I do get sick of Disney songs--no matter how they are played.
Also we had the experience where we were bussed from the conference to a gathering at Epcot--something they have done every year at the conference. The bus takes roads into the back of Epcot to gain access. This year we were stopped and a security guard came on board, waved his hands in the air, and asked everyone to get out photo ID. I could not believe that was happening and I asked him "Why" and go no reply. Then he went to the front of the bus while everyone was searching for ID, paused and then got off the bus without checking ID. Disney is getting far too powerful!!

I gave them 4 star mainly because I thought the service was outstanding. However here are some recommendations for future guests and for the hotel itself.
1. If money is not a big issue, do not use the Magical Bus to and from the airport. It is too crowded, takes too long and has wait times in line. After a long plane ride with kids this could be torture.
2. Request a king room when you make the reservation unless you need the extra beds.
3. Hotel should put prices on items in their fast food restaurant area.
4. Hotel and DW in general should stop asking for ID at gate entrance.
5. Hotel should expand TV stations that are more adult friendly.
6. Make use of the room fridge if you have a car to get breakfst items from a grocery store. You can then eat more nutritionally and save money too.
7. Hotel should think about redecorating rooms.
8. Hotel should allow use of business center to print out boarding passes. The concierge is far too busy to do this. This way you can assure that everything is right with your return ticket.

Room Tip: Request king rooms for more space. If possible upgrade to view room to view fireworks.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank pammcgarry
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Beautiful setting, beautiful experience. Loved being a child again!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We had an extended family trip to Disney.
The hotel, grounds, pools and especially location were awesome. We even saw Disney fireworks from our porch. A quick bus, monorail or boat ride to the park.
Personally this hotel was a tad "stuffy" for the kids and, in my opinion, didn't give the full Disney feel.
Pools were opened and occupied till late at night. The holiday decorations were nice especially the huge Christmas tree and life size gingerbread house were cool. Definitely a great job creatin the holiday feel.
I would return if only with adults. With kids I would chose a different resort.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I just dislike the entire theme and layout of this resort. The service was minimal, the rooms were mediocre. To be honest, this hotel is one of my least favorites in all of the ones I've been to. And it's on the expensive side! I don't think it's worth the price you pay ...

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family