“Define Grand..”

Ranked #22 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Define Grand..”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I see a lot of other reviews on here and see many people talking about it's great proximity and easy access to the Magic Kingdom. That is wonderful but does not say much about the property itself. There are also other resorts that have pretty easy access to the MK like any resort that is on the monorail system but again, that does not tell me about the resort. We been there on a couple of occasions as for the past 20+ years we have gone to Disney almost every year. I think you see the small things that change over time when you go more often then when you have time spaced out between visits. It's like planting a seed. Seeing it a month later and then seeing the whole plant a year later. This resort USED to be for the elite only. You would see children but they were not your average run of the mill children, they would be walking around with their GF bathrobes on and the lobby would even have that "richness" about it. No so much anymore. It has become just another resort except you pay a lot more. I feel very highly that you should get what you pay for and I do not feel that you get this with the GF. If you took the time to stay at other disney resorts or just visited them you would see what I was talking about. Things are not as clean and pristine as they once were. Sure the outside of this resort is Grand and picturesque, but inside you will find soiled and torn carpet, walls that need to be repainted and rooms that have certainly seen there day and are in need of a complete overhaul. There are many choices that one can stay at on Disney property if one chooses. All come with some benefits. Just know that if you are going to pay the prices of the GF and think you are going to have more of a quiet vacation or upscale vacation than staying at say the Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge for that matter it is not going to happen. It has become a park inside itself as it is.. noisy and kids running all about. One would think for this kind of money that you would not find that, but you will. Just be aware and if you don't mind that then your fine. But the rooms and such do need some upkeep work for sure.

8 Thank hippiemoose

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (937)
  • Turkish first
Denver
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My family and I recently enjoyed a week in DisneyWorld, staying at The Grand Floridian. The common areas (lobby, restaurants, etc) are stunning! The rooms...not so much. Our room was tiny and VERY dated. Furniture was banged up, bath fixtures were old, carpet was stained. Just REALLY needs an update! It's too bad because this is a gorgeous property and supposedly, the cream of the crop as far as Disney hotels in Orlando. We had a blast on our vacation but I would not recommend this resort considering the price.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Brycesmommy
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I went to this place on april 2012 for my sisters birthday. We are a family of 5 with my parents, me (25) my sister (21) and the birthday girl, who turned 11. The staff is friendly all the time and they will do almost about everything to make the most of your stay. When we got to the front desk they gave us all I'm celebrating buttons and a birthday button for my sister. When we asked for an upgrade they checked and gave it to me for free!! I had lake view at no extra cost. They gave us a resort map and took us to our room in a very nice cart. There are hidden mickeys and disney characters everywhere and you get a lot of fun looking for them.
Once at our room (we chose to stay all together like the old times) we got two queen beds and a duvet, so we were all comfortable. And a little balcony too. For my surprise, there was NO minibar, just a fridge. I had no idea that they emptied every mini room at disneys resorts. I love getting in the room and taking an ice cold beer, didn't happened. But the room itself was pretty and the turndown service was great too.
There are two pools, one of them works 24 hours, which is great to swim after doing the parks.
There are specialty shops and restaurants, which you have to book really in advance. You get all disney transportation buses, monorail and boat to go everywhere disney. We ate at the 1900 cafe and it was pretty decent, but not a top breakfast. You get disney characters to take pictures and stuff, which is really funny.
I don't have much of a complaint but I like more movement and people seeing, so I preferred the contemporary resort.

Room Tip: Worth the lake view, there is a nightly light show in it! Really fun.
2 Thank LCMORENO
Reviewed 22 April 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a 6 day stay on the concierge level with our family (including 2 teenagers and an 8 year old). This was our 4th trip to Disney with the kids, our previous stays were at wilderness lodge, contemporary, and boardwalk. We would definitely stay at grand Floridian again. The staff was wonderfully helpful and we felt they went "above and beyond" whenever possible - Jenna even went out of her way to get my son new swim goggles when she heard he'd forgotten his. The concierge level was great - especially the breakfast in the mornings and constant snacks. The rooms were large (we had two adjoining rooms) - I don't understand reviews that said otherwise (and we've stayed in many large rooms and suites). I do agree that the decor could be updated in the rooms. The pools were great and never crowded. It is so wonderful being one monorail stop away from the magic kingdom, and we were able to watch their fireworks every night from our balcony. Overall, staying at the Grand Floridian made us feel like we were special. It is worth the "splurge"!!

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Rubesgirl
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Ok.... so Disney is all about the kid’s right? It's a good thing because if you are looking for a high end hotel experience like the Ritz don’t stay here. We did 4 nights club level in the main building for about $800 a night. We decided to do club level (see fireworks every night) so we could let our young children snack on and off without having to do the meal plan and have them waste a bunch of fried food..My kids are not the best eaters. The club level food and drink was nice and they also usually had healthy choices available. 2 big gripes about club level..Why are there cans of soda etc available but no bottled water and why is there only beer and wine available for 3 hours a day? Hint-by any adult beverages you would like for your room or poolside from the gift shop not the bar. We stayed in the main building club level which is kinda weird. They figured out after the place was built that you could see the castle from this area. It was originally supposed to be offices so there is a separate entrance and elevator. The rooms are fine I guess. You can tell they are in constant use and a bit run down by any ordinary higher end hotel standard but hey you are on property right? The main areas of the hotel are a big step up from the actual rooms. Pools are nice and music at night in the very large main lobby is nice to relax and listen. I would also say the staff was very friendly and offered to help at all times with any requests we had. My wife did use the club level concierge quite a bit ahead of time and while we were there to get us in places to eat and activities for our kids that we would normally have had trouble getting into-Princess Breakfast anyone? It is convenient being on the monorail and the boat back to the hotel was also very nice. Friends went 3 weeks before us and stayed at the contemporary and said it was just dreadful compared to when they visited the GF for a day. So I would say if staying on the property is your goal (there are benefits, magic hours etc.) this is the place to stay. Yes the GF was more expensive than the other properties but I couldn’t see spending all this money at Disney in general and being in a lower level hotel.
One big thing I’d like to mention. They give you a card to charge all your stuff on during your stay anywhere at Disney what they don’t tell you is they set some arbitrary limit not based on the credit card you give them limit etc. We charged everything on it and we basically hit the limit the night before we left at dinner. Not that big a deal but it would have been nice to know-suppose we were not carrying other forms of payment when the dinner bill arrived? My feelings about the whole Disney experience is best left to another review but hey it’s all about the kids. Next time we go in a few years we will be staying off site so as to enjoy more of the resorts amenities. By then at least my kids will be older than 2½ and 5½.

3 Thank duggifresh
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We have stayed at this hotel twice and it is perfectly situated for an amazing time in Disney. The hotel itself is absolutely amazing, the staff, rooms, pool area and location make it the must stay place in a visit to Disney. We found that you could visit one of the parks, come back to the hotel to eat and laze by the pool and then freshen up before visiting another park, everything was so convenient and the staff were fantastic and couldn't do enough for you...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank DAVID H
Lake Forest, Illinois
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My husband and I traveled with our son, his wife and our two young grandchildren to Disney World this April. We chose to stay at the Grand Floridian because of its close proximity to the Magic Kingdom. We had adjoining rooms - which was perfect for us because the parents could be in our room while the children napped. The rooms were clean, well-appointed and spacious enough for our needs. A small refrigerator in the room was a big plus for us. The climate control and shower were great - and we loved having double sinks. The hotel and property itself was lovely - many nice amenities, including two pools. The spa is being rebuilt, so that was not available. All staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. We visited three of the restaurants at the Grand Floridian - Park Faire (for a buffet character breakfast - characters get an "A", food was a "C"); Gasparilla (a cafeteria-style eatery with snacks, sandwiches, fresh fruit, ice cream, drinks, including beer & wine, available - very handy; perfect for an easy, quick breakfast); and the Floridian Cafe (table service, good salads, sandwiches, drinks - in my opinion, the best lunch spot on the property). Easy one-stop to get to the Magic Kingdom on the monorail (which stops at the front door). Especially nice was a great view of the Magic Kingdom fireworks at 10pm from a table in front of the Gasparilla Grille. We've stayed at the Yacht Club, Beach Club, Polynesian and Grand Floridian - in our opinion, this is the nicest of those four Disney properties...but if you will mostly visit Epcot, stay at the Beach or Yacht Club because those are nice, and you can walk into Epcot from those hotels. If you are with young ones who will spend most of the time at the Magic Kingdom, then the Polynesian, Contemporary or Grand Floridian are the best choices...once you are there and staying on property, you really want to minimize the time it takes to travel from your hotel to the theme park of your choice...because it can consume a lot of time, especially during crowded times.

4 Thank IllinoisLovetotravel