“Disney Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Phila
“Disney Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

From the moment we stepped off the plane in Orlando, with our parents and two children, our trip was wonderful. The hotel and travel agent, Jennifer Toren at jennifer@tripguy.com took care of everyting for us from the baggage, to the transportation, to the great service and amazingly friendly staff. They were so accomodatng and every request we made was met promptly and with a smile. The pools were perfect for a late afternoon swim with the kids, and the property was impeccably manicured. In my opinion, the food was simply average but I went into the trip knowing not to expect too much from the meals. I was able to truly appreciate the proximity to the monorail and the Disney parks. Having strollers with us everywhere we went, this was a must. I would definitely reccommend The Grand Floridian to anyone who is planning a family vacation to DisneyWorld in the future.

3 Thank Liz S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I'm between a 3-4. It's much nicer than an average hotel and I would consider it very nice but everything's relative, right?! For the prices you would have to pay here, I would expect just a little step up. Luckily I had the pleasure of a free trip here through a conference and we really did have a wonderful time. It was an awesome trip.

Positives:
- Beautiful setting
- Conference meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) were catered by the hotel and were elegant and delicious.
- All of the staff I had talked to were friendly and helpful.
-The pools looked inviting, water temperature was comfortable. There are plenty of lounging chairs and towels and there is a small pool bar at the main pool.
-NIce to have a gym on site. It's small but has what you need for a great workout away from home.
-Comfortable beds
-Plenty of towels in room right away
-Daily maid and turn down service
-We had a room overlooking the water with a balcony, nice breeze
- Monorail on site
- There is a marina where you can catch the fireworks every night

Negatives
-There is some construction going on and you do hear the trucks rather early.
-I was surprised there was nothing in the fridge. At minimum, I would expect water. The tap water doesn't taste good. We talked about going to refill our water bottles in the gym cooler but that was inconvenient. The bar charges 3.50 for a water. It's hot in Florida, bottled water should be a little more accessible.
- I did not like the pillows, they are too 'fat' or 'big' many in our group complained of this and felt a kink in their neck the next morning. I personally like a flat pillow and having this issue often, I brought mine, so I was happy. But most higher end hotels do have a choice of pillows, materials, or styles.
- Rooms are dated, a little run down.. but definitely clean.

Bottom line is we had a really nice time, as I said, I had a free trip here and personally would not pay the prices... I just did a quick search, $515/night? Yikes. It's Disney!

Room Tip: I liked having a room overlooking the water with a balcony
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank RoxySt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

If the pricing of the monorail resorts weren't so steep, I would stay at the Grand Floridian every year at Christmastime. The decorations were gorgeous. The cast members were pleasant and helpful, and you can't beat the location. It's only one monorail stop from Magic Kingdom and an easy 10 minute walk to the Polynesian resort and 15 minute walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center for Epcot monorail access. I know that many travelers are not impressed with the theming at the Grand, but I like it a lot. It's classic, pretty, and light.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank MalOVision
Plymouth, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I see a lot of other reviews on here and see many people talking about it's great proximity and easy access to the Magic Kingdom. That is wonderful but does not say much about the property itself. There are also other resorts that have pretty easy access to the MK like any resort that is on the monorail system but again, that does not tell me about the resort. We been there on a couple of occasions as for the past 20+ years we have gone to Disney almost every year. I think you see the small things that change over time when you go more often then when you have time spaced out between visits. It's like planting a seed. Seeing it a month later and then seeing the whole plant a year later. This resort USED to be for the elite only. You would see children but they were not your average run of the mill children, they would be walking around with their GF bathrobes on and the lobby would even have that "richness" about it. No so much anymore. It has become just another resort except you pay a lot more. I feel very highly that you should get what you pay for and I do not feel that you get this with the GF. If you took the time to stay at other disney resorts or just visited them you would see what I was talking about. Things are not as clean and pristine as they once were. Sure the outside of this resort is Grand and picturesque, but inside you will find soiled and torn carpet, walls that need to be repainted and rooms that have certainly seen there day and are in need of a complete overhaul. There are many choices that one can stay at on Disney property if one chooses. All come with some benefits. Just know that if you are going to pay the prices of the GF and think you are going to have more of a quiet vacation or upscale vacation than staying at say the Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge for that matter it is not going to happen. It has become a park inside itself as it is.. noisy and kids running all about. One would think for this kind of money that you would not find that, but you will. Just be aware and if you don't mind that then your fine. But the rooms and such do need some upkeep work for sure.

8 Thank hippiemoose
Denver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My family and I recently enjoyed a week in DisneyWorld, staying at The Grand Floridian. The common areas (lobby, restaurants, etc) are stunning! The rooms...not so much. Our room was tiny and VERY dated. Furniture was banged up, bath fixtures were old, carpet was stained. Just REALLY needs an update! It's too bad because this is a gorgeous property and supposedly, the cream of the crop as far as Disney hotels in Orlando. We had a blast on our vacation but I would not recommend this resort considering the price.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Brycesmommy
Quito, Ecuador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I went to this place on april 2012 for my sisters birthday. We are a family of 5 with my parents, me (25) my sister (21) and the birthday girl, who turned 11. The staff is friendly all the time and they will do almost about everything to make the most of your stay. When we got to the front desk they gave us all I'm celebrating buttons and a birthday button for my sister. When we asked for an upgrade they checked and gave it to me for free!! I had lake view at no extra cost. They gave us a resort map and took us to our room in a very nice cart. There are hidden mickeys and disney characters everywhere and you get a lot of fun looking for them.
Once at our room (we chose to stay all together like the old times) we got two queen beds and a duvet, so we were all comfortable. And a little balcony too. For my surprise, there was NO minibar, just a fridge. I had no idea that they emptied every mini room at disneys resorts. I love getting in the room and taking an ice cold beer, didn't happened. But the room itself was pretty and the turndown service was great too.
There are two pools, one of them works 24 hours, which is great to swim after doing the parks.
There are specialty shops and restaurants, which you have to book really in advance. You get all disney transportation buses, monorail and boat to go everywhere disney. We ate at the 1900 cafe and it was pretty decent, but not a top breakfast. You get disney characters to take pictures and stuff, which is really funny.
I don't have much of a complaint but I like more movement and people seeing, so I preferred the contemporary resort.

Room Tip: Worth the lake view, there is a nightly light show in it! Really fun.
2 Thank LCMORENO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a 6 day stay on the concierge level with our family (including 2 teenagers and an 8 year old). This was our 4th trip to Disney with the kids, our previous stays were at wilderness lodge, contemporary, and boardwalk. We would definitely stay at grand Floridian again. The staff was wonderfully helpful and we felt they went "above and beyond" whenever possible - Jenna even went out of her way to get my son new swim goggles when she heard he'd forgotten his. The concierge level was great - especially the breakfast in the mornings and constant snacks. The rooms were large (we had two adjoining rooms) - I don't understand reviews that said otherwise (and we've stayed in many large rooms and suites). I do agree that the decor could be updated in the rooms. The pools were great and never crowded. It is so wonderful being one monorail stop away from the magic kingdom, and we were able to watch their fireworks every night from our balcony. Overall, staying at the Grand Floridian made us feel like we were special. It is worth the "splurge"!!

Stayed April 2012