“Great service, awesome location!”

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Ranked #23 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We just got back from 8 nt stay @ GF. This was our second trip @ GF and our room was cleaner/fresher this time around, stayed @ sago cay. Room was ready @ 8:30 am, since I already checked in online, it took only couple of min. Housekeeping did an awesome job and front desk and bell staffs were wonderful. Hotel is going through some renovation and they are building the time share building. It did not effect our stay much. Mizner is open for quick service but could use more room during peak times (Service was good). Cafe Floridian, food was good but dinner service was too pushy. Our waiter was pushing too hard for alcoholic bev and desserts when we had to leave for MNSSHP that night. Basically, he didn't listen and wasnt able to enjoy our dinner. On the other hand, narcoossee's food and service was outstanding! Can't say enough good things about this place. Overall great stay and customer service was great.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Opusx100
Write a ReviewReviews (4,544)

Reviewed 11 October 2012

First the positives....In general my opinion of the Grand Floridian is very good. You can not beat the location and ease of the monorail. Given that the monorail was briefly down on our last day, I realized quite quickly how cumbersome traveling to the parks can be without the monorail. For that reason alone, I will say this place is a great place to stay.

In addition, I really liked the boat access to/from the parks and found it easier than the Monorail for return trips from the Magic Kingdom. Bus access to Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom was good as well. Getting to Epcot (with the monorail being down) was more of a pain but that was likely due to specific circumstances.

In general the staff was very friendly and often willing to help. We failed to have one dinner reservation for the several days we were there and the concierge was able to help get us into one of the hotel restaurants for 8 people (including 2 young kids) at the last minute so that was very much appreciated. Breakfast at their main restaurant every morning was quite good and the servers were excellent.

Disney Magic Express to and from the airport was great and made that part of the travel very easy and relaxing. We also enjoyed the Lua at the Polynesian and the Hoop De Doo musical review at Fort Wilderness. Would definitely say that the Hoop De Doo Musical review went over better with my 2 young nephews than the lua. If going during October, I highly recommend the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween parade at Magic Kingdom. It was great.

Now for the not so positive...I was a bit disappointed in how they managed the reservation. While I understand that asking for a "king" is not always a guarantee, I was a bit upset that our reservation for multiple rooms didn't at least guarantee us 1 king room. I didn't particularly appreciate the response we got from the front desk when I asked why there were no king rooms. Basically they just pushed back saying a "request is no guarantee." I think it largely had to do with the fact that we arrived later than expected due to a delayed flight. We were able to switch rooms on the 2nd day but it was a bit of a hassle. In addition, delivery of luggage from the Disney Magic Express took over 2 hours. To be fair, they are up front about that delays but I think it would be beneficial to the resort to attempt to decrease that wait especially for late arrivals. We ended up getting our luggage after 12:30 AM.

My only major gripe was the housekeeping. Not to be gross but we found the same piece of floss (fyi not our dental floss) on the floor of the hotel for 3 days/nights straight. I honestly left it there as a test and obviously have to assume that they did not vacuum. I also noted that the shower was not wiped down each day (something I think should occur every day). For the cost of the resort, I believe their housekeeping should be amazing. Quite honestly it was minimal at best.

Overall though I don't think there is a better place you can stay. I found the other resorts on the monorail to be more outdated than the Floridian so if staying in one of the four, I would definitely recommend the Grand Floridian above the others.

On a side note, the spa and one of the pools were down for service/construction so unfortunately we didn't get to experience those. Being a spa lover, I was sad that it wasn't available but they did have the ability to use other spas at other resorts.

8  Thank erin92474
Reviewed 11 October 2012

What a beautiful hotel with perfect access to the Magic Kingdom! Staff is both professional, yet friendly and warm! Delightful! Accommodations were first class, food was beyond amazing and the pool brought hours of relaxing away from the Disney parks! The new kids pool is the perfect escape for kids to unwind and run around splashing and playing in the water, the water slide was a ball! Excellent seating for families around the pools with ample areas for lounging or eating!

We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Stacy L
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We had a great trip to Disney and while your hotel is usually a means to an end - this trip Grandma decided to spoil the family with a Club Level 2BR suite at the Grand Floridian. Being on the monorail and a private concierge lounge ! We had been to the hotel 4-5 times in the past staying in the main building most of the times. Over the years, naturally, the rates have been increasing, but this was the most we EVER spent to be at Disney. Upon our arrival we were told that we would be an outer building, which we expected, that did NOT have a concierge lounge in it. The nearest lounge was either a 5 minute walk around the pool, which was closed and under renovation, or upstairs in the main building. For the up charge of being in a CLUB LEVEL room - how can they put you in a building with no concierge ? So we got little to no use out of the private concierge or food presentations - and we're constantly in a rush with a 10 minute walk to the monorail and/or buses. There was also nothing special or unique about the suite - just a living room, with 2 standard rooms connecting. I was expecting at least a slightly renovated Master Bathroom. For the amount of money we spent and the fact that we were long standing repeat customers at the hotel, I left quite disappointed this time.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in the main building and if not - that you have some sort of view.
3  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 6 October 2012

What can you say? Location, ambience, Disney charm...all of the above. We stayed in sugarloaf club floor. We really enjoyed the service and amenities of the resort. All first class. The gardens, pools were just exquisite. We dined at 1900 park fare and enjoyed the food and characters. Also narcoossee's which was top notch and what a place to watch the fireworks from the magic kingdom. The rooms were a little small for 5 but more than made up for with the club lounge snacks and drinks all day...only inconvenience was no laundry facilities in sugarloaf wing and had to go to other wings to do which was a pain. We all had a fantastic time and a great place for the full Disney immersion .

Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank thefunfive
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Lovely hotel. Nice range of eating options and pool was pretty and clean - loved the giant jaccuzzi! Really pleasant, helpful staff and a gorgeous room overlooking magic kingdom across the lagoon. Lots of transport options to get to all of the parks. Couldn't have been better.

Room Tip: We loved our room in the block called Boca Chica - overlooks Magic Kingdom
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DonzandAd
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Just finished with a fantastic vacation with a stay at the Grand Floridian! We booked a 3-night Disney Cruise through Dream Makers Vacation Services with the help of their agent Lynda Hower, who was AWESOME! I can't recomend Dream Makers Vacation Services more, Lynda was attentive, quick to respond and answered all of my crazy questions :0)
We decided to tack on a couple of days at Disneyworld and decided to stay at The Grand Floridian. It is a beautiful property, it's going through some construction right now, but it doesn't take away any of the magic from the hotel. The lobby is so pretty and our room was nice with a lovely view of the lagoon where we had a great view of the fireworks show at Magic Kingdom!
The staff is top notch and I think I've spoiled myself and will have to stay at this property everytime I visit Disneyworld. Can't wait for my next visit.

1  Thank Dncer27