“Absolutely amazing, cant wait to return!!”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Ranked #65 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
newcastle under lyme
“Absolutely amazing, cant wait to return!!”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We have just returned from our second amazing trip to Disneyworld and stayed at PO-FQ. This is a fantastic resort that is almost perfect. As soon as we arrived we felt totally relaxed, even after a nine and a half hour flight!! The staff are lovely, and can't do enough to help you, we even had a message on our room phone welcoming us!! During the second week of our stay our 5 year old son lost his autograph book that he'd worked hard on filling up and was devasteted. I told the concierge when we got back from the partk in the hope that it had been found, however it had't. The next day when we got back to our room, there was a replacement autograph book, full of character signatures, our son was thrilled, thinking that it was his book and still does not know to this day that this is a replacement!! They had even put his name in the front of it.
The rooms are spotless, and kept that way throughout by Mousekeeping, who often leave the children little suprises!! Beds are amazing, we looked at purchasing one when we arrived home, perfect after a long day in the parks. One minor negative could be that there should be DVD players in the room, for those nights you arrive back a little early and would like to relax? Maybe you could hire DVD's to watch during your stay? As there were not any we took advantage of the open air cinema on two occasions, this was a lovely way to wind down at night, the kids loved making their own popcorn in the food hall. Food in the food hall was excellent, everything is cooked fresh and in front of you and there is lots to choose from, we often ate at the Riverside food hall for a change of scenery, and enjoyed the walk along the river to get there.
Transportation to the parks was good, and again the drivers were very friendly. When coming home you can catch the French Quarter or Riverside coach if you are prepared for a short 10 minute walk along the river to your room and the boat to Downtown Disney was a lovely change at night. If you are looking for a lovely, quiet, immaculatly presented base to stay during your disneyworld holiday then PO-FQ is deffinately the resort to stay in. We stayed at Riverside last year and found this resort a lot busier, with more people using the trasportation system, therefore there were waits sometimes for coaches. The rooms are also spread out quite a lot and involve a lot of walking to and from reception and the food hall. this is a beautiful resort and we will deffinately be back in the future, we wouldn't consider staying anywhere else on Disney!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank sara s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,411)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
ludlow
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I dont have anything bad to say about this hotel very friendly and helpful awesome in catering to kids needs. The restaurant could use a few different menus its the same all the time. I would definitely recommend staying here I loved it very peaceful and clean no complaints what so ever.

Room Tip: very quiet rooms stayed in building 6 1 to 2 min to walk to pool or giftshop
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We have stayed here three times and love, love, love it! Love the fact that you can still have the Disney Magic, but feel like you are in a little hide-away with the lush greenery and grounds. We've always had clean rooms that have been quiet in all three different buildings and floors. We love the choice of food at the food court...it has always fit needs/likes of DH, DD, and myself. Never had an issue with the bus service, love the boat transportation to Downtown Disney, and like the short walk to Riverside as an option for food/pool. Our DD loves the pool and we always spend several afternoons/evenings poolside. The front desk has always been very accommodating and helpful. One year our flight got in early and our room wasn't ready. Upon hearing we had an 8 month old, the cast member switched our room to a first-floor room close to the food court/busses to help us out. We were also able to get ground floor rooms near the bus pick up/drop off when my mom came with us and had knee issues. I've stayed at 5 other Disney resorts from value to deluxe and French Quarter will always bee my fav!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank kjb1976
Nevada
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We just returned from PO-FQ and it was so awesome. We stayed in BLDG 2 garden view room. It was across the "street" from the check-in/arcade/gift shop/cafeteria on one side and the pool on the other. The rooms were clean and quiet. Our mousekeeping person left surprises each day ( arranging stuffed animals, making towel animals, hanging up clothing) and the kids LOVED the pool. The cafeteria met our needs and was accessible until midnight. I would return in a heartbeat.

1 Thank egp0428
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My son and I stayed here April 11-20th. We stayed in building 4, on the top floor. The rooms are small, equivalent to the all- stars. Bathroom was extremely small, and my son who is 6ft, barely fit, and it was uncomfortably tight for him. We arrived late on the 11th, after midnight, and the front desk person was very unfriendly, and we had even done the online check in, so he had minimal to do. Besides the size of the bathroom, you hear every time someone in the building flushes a toilet, it is very LOUD! The rest of the stay was good, room location was convenient, and we were really only there to sleep at night. Bus ride waits weren't too bad, has been worse in the past, and we have no complaints about the food, ate breakfast there only pretty much, and dinners in the parks. If you want the disney scene everywhere you turn, you will not find it here, except in gift shop.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We've stayed at several of the Disney resorts (including Riverside, All Star Music, and Caribbean Beach) and this is definitely our favorite when it comes to value and moderates. Unlike PORiverside, FQ is quaint and everything is a very short walk away. We were in building 6 and the pool, food court, and store were only about a 1-2 minute walk. We could also cut through the gardens and be at the bus stop in just as little time. Another nice feature is the river taxi that's available to transport guests to downtown Disney. You get a great view of some of the other resorts and a break from the buses. Speaking of buses, we never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus. Since POFQ is picked up first, often the bus would fill up and we didn't even have to stop at POR. When we did stop at Riverside, it only took around 10 minutes. Also, POFQ is dropped off first, so we never had to go though all the stops at POR.

We chose a standard view room, but we had a nice view of some gardens and a fountain. The rooms are nothing special, but they are clean and convenient, which is what you are paying for. Our family always likes that the tub/toilet and sinks are seperate. In addition, the curtain that seperates sleeping quarters is nice early in the morning. When we asked for extra towels, we were accomodated. We were also accomodated when we asked for connecting staterooms, but we did book several months in advance.

Almost everyone we encountered on the property was fantastic. We only had a problem with one night shift desk clerk who refused to remove a tip from our room charge. We had paid the tip in cash, but she said without a receipt she would not remove the charge. Even though we were a party of 8 or more, technically tips are still optional, even though they are added to the bill automatically. Even if she did not trust that we paid the tip in cash, which we did, she still should have removed the charge.

Overall, POFQ was great. We plan to go back. If your family is like ours, you are in the room very little and when you are, you are sleeping. I say, splurge and go for deluxe dining like we did and go moderate on the room. I'm not a fan of the value resorts and though I love the deluxe resorts, they are not much better when it comes to the room. We found it better to spend the extra money so we could dine in the castle and see dinner shows. It just depends on your preference. Also, for us, we like the PO resorts because they are the closest moderates to Magic Kingdom, the park we spend most of our time in.

If you are looking for a moderate resort, definitely try French Quarter. Riverside's new royal guest rooms are tempting, but I'm not sure that they outweigh the convenience and quaintness of POFQ.

Room Tip: Any room here is very close to the action, but if you want a pretty view, go for a river view. Reme...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank kelhoney
Boston
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed just two nights at French Quarter to make a one-day park-hopping excursion easier; that way we could get an early start and stay till closing without having to drive anywhere.

The hotel, in my opinion like all Disney resorts, is overpriced for what you get. You pay a premium for being on property, and I understand the concept. For $180 a night, we had a room with two queen beds that had okay mattresses, average linens, and horrible, puny little pillows (and no extras offered in the closet area like many other hotels have) -- the bed quality is what I'd expect at a Hampton Inn (actually, Hampton Inn offers much nicer pillows, but I digress). On par for its price, French Quarter offers a nice vanity area with two sinks separate from the toilet and shower. The shower is a basic motel shower/tub combo with fabric curtain, but ours was clean and had spotless grout. Another "premium" item is the mini-fridge. A sub-par offering is the lack of TV stations; while roadside motels boast "HBO" on their signs, Disney properties offer only Disney channels and the basic networks. I know, I know, you don't come to Disney to watch TV, but for $180 a night, it would be nice to watch cable TV before falling asleep.

The food court is horrible but on par with all the other "quick service" Disney dining "experiences." Coffee is Nescafe, and only non-dairy creamer is offered. The food is a cut above what I imagine prison food to be -- everything fried, institutional food service fare. Fortunately we were there only a short time; I can't imagine spending a week and subsisting on that bad food.

As I mentioned before, we stayed on Disney property in order to wake up early and hit the parks. At 11:30 pm the night before our big park outing day, we were awoken to the sound of a loud engine that caused our room to vibrate. At first I thought it was some sort of emergency maintenance vehicle, but it went on. My husband dressed and went outside our room, only to see that a construction worker was operating some sort of concrete cutter on a section of the main lobby building that was right next to our room (Building 3). I called the front desk to inquire about the noise, and the polite woman told me that "they only do the construction at night." Thinking I was perhaps just groggy from being awaken, I asked her what exactly she meant. Her reply was, "So you can hear it?" Again, she was polite, and she put me on hold to speak to her supervisor. She returned to the line and said she couldn't locate the supervisor but would get back to me ASAP.

Did I mention we were planning on getting up early the next day to hit the parks on the one and only day we were visiting Disney?

About 10 minutes later, I got a call back from the supervisor. The noise had ceased at that point. The supervisor apologized and told me they told the construction workers to stop.

We managed to fall back asleep, and the noise indeed ceased for the night. But the question begs, who in the world thought it would be a good idea to put people in rooms near a noisy construction area with loud noise going on IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT?

At checkout I mentioned the incident to the "cast member" at the front desk. She wanted to know if the situation had been dealt with; I assured her it had ceased, but I wanted to know why it happened in the first place. She was courteous and apologized and said the front desk doesn't always realize when guests can hear construction noise in their rooms. I told her I wouldn't be back and couldn't recommend the property -- I was nice about it, but I still could not fathom why this would have happened at all and how a family resort would think it was OK to run equipment at OSHA-breaking decibel levels in the middle of the night. Upon hearing this, she summoned her manager, who credited me 50% off one night's fare. That seemed fair.

Given how the hotel handled the situation, I can't say I won't recommend this hotel. My review stands -- don't expect luxury or even above-average amenities, and don't expect healthy food ... and certainly don't expect a decent cup of coffee, because you won't get one! ;-) I will recommend this: Upon check-in, ask where and when construction will be taking place during your stay. Insist on a room that is far away from construction. You deserve a night's sleep that is uninterrupted by construction noise.

Room Tip: Upon check-in, ask where and when construction will be taking place during your stay. Insist on a r...
1 Thank gem21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
1.4 km away
4.4 km away
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
3.4 km away
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter? Share your experiences!