“Cutest Murphy Bed Ever”

Ranked #91 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Cutest Murphy Bed Ever”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

Our family of five stayed six nights at the Port Orleans Riverside. The room was somewhat oversized compared to an average hotel room, but what really helped accommodate our family was the separate shower/toilet area and curtain to close off sink/dressing area. This really created three separate spaces - a big plus with five people. The Princess and the Frog decorating theme was very cute, and our 9-year-old daughter loved the murphy bed. Room, lobby, and dining areas are very clean and well maintain, and the staff always pleasant. The resort grounds are beautiful, but we found things to be too spread out. Our walk to the main lobby for meals or the big swimming pool was more than 5 minutes (particularly critical if you get caught in the rain). This is probably the biggest reason we would not stay there again, or would request a room closer to main lobby area. However, we did have a shuttle stop very close to our building which was great. Another disappointment was the food - mediocre at best, limited selections, and way overpriced (we did not do the dining plan). We have visited Disney before, so the price of the food was not a shock, but it seems as if maybe the popularity of the dining plans has had an impact on the variety of food available.

1 Thank wmaloney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,145)
  • Hebrew first
Lorain, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

This moderate hotel is what it is and that is moderate according to WDW's standards. Do your homework when choosing a place on Disney property and you wont be disappointed. It is the only resort in the moderate range that sleeps 5 from what I learned, so it was ideal for my family. Though the room was a bit small, who stays in their room when your at WDW? We stayed six nights and my wife and I enjoyed our morning walks to the quick service dining hall for coffee every morning. The kids enjoyed the quiet pool near our room and enjoyed both the pool on ol' man island as well as the main pool at the French Quarters which which is just a boat ride away and open to riverside guest.

The food in the quick service hall is typical cafeteria fare with a few surprises. The Mahi sandwich was a hit with my teens as well as the pizza. If your staying more than three days and not on a meal plan it would be a wise to purchase the refillable mugs ($16.95) that can be used between riverside and french quarters. For smaller children meals include milk, juice, or water.

The boat ride to Down Town Disney from the resort is nice maybe once or twice but can be a very hot and humid ride in the summer time and when crowded. If you do opt for the bus service understand that there are a few stops in between DTD and The resort. At times there may be only standing room on the busses after they stop at Typhoon Lagoon and the other stops.

The grounds are well maintained and the staff is friendly for the most part. Did meet a few of the servers in the dining hall that were a bit unfriendly but that is understandable when you consider that the hall is open from 6am to midnight. I suggest just smiling and not letting it bother you, besides your on vacation.

Avoid the fishing hole since the fish are too smart to be hooked. Its a waste of time and money unless you like just standing on a dock with a bamboo pole a cup of worms and time on your hands.

I enjoyed staying at riverside and would stay there again. It's not for everyone and if your expecting deluxe accommodations look elsewhere and expect to pay a lot more.

Room Tip: If your driving to the resort and don't mind the view get a room near the parking lots.
1 Thank Angel S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

The resort was nice with many amenities. We liked the pool, restaurants, and easy transportation around Disney World. Our room was nice. It was fairly clean (other than the baseboard in the bathroom. There was dirt in the corners that had not been cleaned before we came or during our trip. Everything else seemed very clean and pleasant. I was surprised that with Disney's high standards that the floor wouldn't have been washed more thoroughly. It was very nice that the room could hold 5 people. We stayed in the Alligator Bayou section, and there is a small murphy bed for a child. Not many Disney resorts hold 5 people. Our building was one of the furthest ones from the main resort. That was a bit of a drawback. It was a 5-10 minute walk to the main lodge, and we didn't take full advantage of the refillable mugs that you get due to the long walk. There was a bus stop not too far from our building, which was very helpful (much closer than catching the bus at the main lodge). My children enjoyed the main pool. It has a waterslide and activities near the pool. There are lifeguards there as well. Overall I'd recommend Port Orleans Riverside.

West Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

There was nothing "magical" about this stay. We checked in to the resort early in the evening on a Wednesday. We waited in line for an hour just to speak with someone at the check-in counter and we had done the online check-in the night before. We soon learned their computers were down and this was causing the confusion. The Disney solution for this was to give us a voucher to the restaurant on site. However, if we used the voucher our bill would be charged to the room. I fail to understand how asking us to go spend money in their restaurant is a solution. During this, the workers were obviously frustrated and it definitely showed in the lack of customer service and friendliness.

When I questioned this solution we were offered park tickets for the night. However, they would also count against our purchased park days. Did they really think we would run to the parks at 5:30 at night waste the full day we paid for? Really?!

After an hour or two, the system was up and we went to check in. When I got to the counter I was informed that we had been given an upgrade. I questioned the location of the upgrade. I had paid for a preferred room as I wanted to be in a location close to the rood court and bus stop. I specifically called to request building 14. I was told that was full. (I understand they don't guarantee requests, but the two people in front of me in line made no request and got building 14 so how hard did they try for me?) I was assured that nobody turns down this upgrade and it is about the same distance. I reluctantly took it as when I hesitated they told me the resort was full and it would take some work to find a preferred room. Let me say the room was nice, but it was not upgrade. The headboard had fireworks. That is it! While the kids thought it was neat, the walk to the food court was far! We felt duped!

Later in the stay we were rained out of fireworks at Hollywood Studios, we went to the bus stop and found a huge line. There were at least 300 people who stood in line for at least 2 hours. This resort is huge and they were not getting enough buses. Other resorts had 25 or less people in were fine. After talking to people in line, the same thing happened the night before with Magic Kingdom. This is obviously an ongoing problem.

I stopped up to the front desk to share some of our ongoing issues asking if there was anyway we could have our park ticket for our last day changed to a park hopper so that we could get back to the fireworks at Hollywood Studios. I was told that is not how Disney works.

I understand that even good resorts sometimes have bad stretches. I am hoping I was one and the normal stays are great and that people are not just blinded by the fact that they are at Disney. I expected more from them.

The resort was beautiful and the housecleaners were outstanding. That is the only reason I did not give them a 1.

6 Thank TLH74
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

This was our first stay at Port Orleans. The rooms, although rather small, were clean and comfortable. The grounds were beautiful and well maintained. Although other reviewers reported problems with adjusting the temperature of the room, this was not a problem for us as the thermostat worked without a hitch.
The Food Court area was noisy and crowded but this is to be expected at a place that caters to families and lots of children. The variety and quality of the food was surprisingly pleasing. Our grand kids particularly enjoyed the "yogurt bar" for breakfast.
To sum it all up, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Port Orleans and would not hesitate to return when the family is ready for another Disney adventure.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AnnCampbell
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

Spent 8 days in POR a few weeks ago, and I love the new rooms! 2 Queen beds and a larger trundle bed makes for a great stay. The added coffee pot and refridgerator makes a huge difference when you are a 5-10 min walk from the Lobby and food court.

1 Thank Matt B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
1.8 km away
7.5 km away
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
3.9 km away
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!