“Typical large resort hotel”

Ranked #27 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Typical large resort hotel”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Recently stayed here for 2 nights for business meeting. Attractive property, wish I had opportunity to use the very impressive pool area. Location convenient to all the Disney attractions. Facilities were attractive and well maintained. Be very careful when booking: I had a lot of trouble with booking the room due to a mixup with my corporate travel service and it took an act of god to get things straightened out due to inflexible hotel staff...had I been an individual traveler I would have been screwed (though also would not have made the same error if I had been booking directly with the hotel instead of having to navigate our corporate site). They also have a "resort fee"...not uncommon but it still irks me and wish they would just build this into the rate instead of pulling this 'bait & switch' game of charging extra fees once you arrive. On top of that, the resort fee was supposed to include wireless internet, but the service crashed almost every time I signed on over 3 days. Don't charge me a resort fee and promise me a service and then have it be unreliable.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (968)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 18 February 2012

My wife and I just returned from a great stay at the Hyatt although it was almost over before it started. My wife has back problems and had surgery a few years ago. She needs a bed that is firm and the bed at the Hyatt Grand Cypress was not a good fit for her. Not that the beds are bad, they are very comfortable but she can't sleep on a mattress that has the pillow top on it. I informed the front desk and the head housekeeper George got in touch with me right away. To make a long story short, George was able to find an old mattress in the warehouse that was firm and did not have the pillow cover and they set up a whole new bed for my wife. We were both very appreciative. Now I'm concerned when we go back, we might have the same issue and won't be lucky enough for that mattress to appear again. If it wasn't for George, we would have had to check out after the first night.

The hotel itself is beautiful and although the weather wasn't great during our stay, my wife and I still had a great time. I used my points to upgrade to the Regency Club and most nights we just ate dinner there. I do not feel it's worth the extra charge for the Regency Club to be honest but if you have points, I would suggest you use them because it was nice to have breakfast and a light dinner there every day. Years ago, before they moved the Regency Club, I feel it was much better. Not that the staff isn't nice, they were great. Just the club itself was more cozy and the drinks were also included which they are not anymore. There is a small fee for alcoholic drinks which is not expensive (soda and coffee drinks are free) but to me charging for drinks kind of cheapens the experience. I do think they need to redesign the lounge because it has a cold feel to it and is nothing like it used to be.

They do charge for parking now which has been noted many times on these boards which I wasn't happy about and add that to the $22 resort fee, your bill adds up very fast. I just wish they would take out the resort fee (and I know what it includes) but just put in into the price of the room upfront. The parking plus resort fee added over $132 to my bill at the end which is a lot. It's just easier to budget when it's all included.

Regardless, my wife and I did have a great time at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress and hopefully we'll be able to return in the future (if I can work out ahead of time the bed issue due to my wife's back).

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
HeeBee4, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
It is always nice to read about our employees going above and beyond to make certain that our guest's needs are well taken care of. Each guest is different and in your case, George made certain that you and your wife were comfortable. We appreciate you letting the Trip Advisor readers know that when Orlando is the destination, the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress is the hotel of choice.

St. Paul, MN
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I have not stayed at Hyatt hotels much, but attending a conference, it was the hotel of choice as it was also the conference center. I usually do not enjoy big chain corporate hotels, but I was very very pleased with this experience. The facilities were wonderful (design, colors, textures), the staff was extremely personable, professional, friendly, competent. The room was wonderfully comfortable. The bathroom was FABULOUS - lighting, toiletries, rain shower. The gym was fine - seemed a bit small for the size of the hotel. Overall I very much enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: 18th floor east facing was a wonderful location.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our resort hotel. We take great pride in our well seasoned professional staff. We like to treat our guests as we would like to be treated ourselves. Our recently renovated rooms are quite welcoming and that rain head shower is certainly a nice change to a typical shower. We hope you return soon and please recommend us to your family and friends.

London
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Staying here for a conference and some sight seeing. Very good hotel. Not the best I have stayed at but definately up there since recent re-furbish. Lot's to do for kids and adults and good location.

Room Tip: Higher floor- good views..
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you liked the new refreshing look. We hope you return soon and that you recommend us to your family and friends.

Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed here from 2/11-2/15. Here are my reviews in a nutshell.

Traffic on Vineland: The road as we were coming to check in at 7PM was PACKED full of cars. It took us over an hour to go probably less than 3 miles. It was our fault that we got lost, but the road this hotel is off of was very busy. We were worried about leaving the resort, but the next day and every day after- we had no problems with traffic.

The hotel: It's breathtaking! We arrived after dark, but our first impressions were impressive. The next day in the daylight, even more breathtaking. We explored the grounds, but there is so much to see and do on the resort grounds, we didn't even see half of it I bet!

Construction: When we arrived we were warned that there would be construction going on from 9-5 and we wouldn't be able to open our balcony doors because of it. That was a bummer because it was beautiful weather and I would have loved to go outside at night. It was hardly noticeable though, that anything was going on.

The pool: It's so great! They have a heated one, which is the one everyone was in, since it is Feb. It was clean and so much fun! The caves with the hot tubs are PERFECT and secluded.. The bridge is amazing. The pool bar had yummy food and nice tropical drinks for a hot day. Try the Pina Colada with the dark rum. YUM! Of course, the drinks are a bit pricey, but Disney prices. The man at the Pool house from Ohio was very friendly and helpful!

The room: The bed was comfy, down comforter and comfy perfect pillows. The air works great! We kept it 64 in the room all day. It was clean and the shower is really nice with a dual head/rain head faucet.

The atrium" It's so beautiful! The ceilings, the parrots, the statues and art. All amazing.

The morning Espresso bar: yummy drinks! They brew Starbucks there. The Caramel Macchiato is great and not overly priced at $5.

The Cascades restaurant: It was packed the night we ate there so the manager comped us a couple of things. The waiters were friendly and helpful. its a bit pricey and upscale. Get the dessert! The chocolate peanut butter lava cake is SOOO good. Share it though, it is RICH!

Check in was a breeze! Every one of the staff was super friendly! I'm looking forward to coming back!!

The only down sides were the resort fee and the parking fee.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our resort. It is always nice to hear when our guests enjoy our amenities and that our staff was great. Our grounds are always meticulously manicured. We hope that the next time you choose Orlando as a destination, The Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress is your resort hotel of choice. Please recommend us to your family and friends.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

Just returned from a 4 day business trip to Orlando. Usually stay at the Peabody but booked the Hyatt Grand Cypress this time out due to location of the conference. Not easy finding a hotel that caters to adults in this town but this one fit the bill. The lobby is gorgeous with beautiful fountains and soaring heights. Same for the multiple pool areas which have a lovely grotto design with waterfalls, caves, and private quiet areas for those who just want to sun, relax, and read. Included in the resort fee are the bikes for touring the resort, various types of boats for the "lake", pitch and putt, and internet service. Not bad for those who want to take advantage. In addition there are 3 jogging trails and a beautiful golf course for those who play (I don't). Room was comfortable but could have used additional lighting and perhaps a printer since this is a business hotel. Very nice amenities. Service was very good all around. Only complaint would have to be the restaurants. Never tried the sports bar but did eat at the Cascade Cafe for lunch and dinner. Food was average at best and pricey for what it was. Also, menu was somewhat limited. There was a sushi option but this was also pricey for very average selections. Ate at Hemingways for 2 dinners which was the higher priced restaurant. Food was a step up but menu could also have used a few additional choices. All in all, a very nice stay in Orlando. If you do bring the kids, it's close to Disney and they have a Camp Hyatt to keep them entertained if you should so wish.

1 Thank lulumommy
Florida
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Date of Stay: Friday, February 3, 2011
Length of Stay: 1 Night

In a nutshell, this is a truly AMAZING Hyatt in Orlando, Florida, just down the road from Walt Disney World and all the other Orlando theme parks -- nothing but the best in customer service, and a truly beautiful property!

Now, for my detailed review:

First, I must say that this review builds upon prior two review of this property -- for further information and some more details on this property, please see my prior review:

-February 2011, entitled: “A truly AMAZING 4th of July Weekend!” (posted July 6, 2010)

My wife and I always love staying at this Hyatt property when we are in the Disney area, as it is often less expensive than the Disney Resorts, and it has far better pools and customer service! If you are headed to Disney World, this property is in the perfect location and should not be missed!

Upon arrival, check-in was extremely quick and easy.

We we met by the valet, who quickly took our car and assisted with our bags. A quick word on parking -- if you have not stayed at this property in a while, be aware that parking is now an additional cost, but, that takes this property in line with all others in the area, so that is to be expected. And, the cost is quite reasonable, with self-parking at $11 per day, or Valet at $23 per day. The Valet Service is so quick and efficient, I highly recommend spending the extra money for the Valet.

Upon entry into the beautiful lobby, we were immediately greeted by another staff member by name, and directed to the front desk. This property truly excels at customer service -- from the moment you pull through the front guard gate, you are always greeted by name, as the valet and the front desk staff appears to be radio'ed ahead with your name and to expect you. The main lobby continues to amaze, as the property continues to change the lighting and the current blue lighting scene is absolutely beautiful!

At the front desk, we were again greeting by name, and check-in was extremely quick and pleasant. We were greeted by name, and we were each given a glass of excellent champagne. The agent told us that we were in a beautiful Lake View Junior Suite, as we had used a Diamond Upgrade Certificate. Having stayed in basically every room class, I was truly excited to see a Suite -- and, let me tell you, if you are coming in for a longer stay, definitely splurge for a Suite, as the Suites at this property are excellent!

After our quick and efficient check-in experience, we hopped onto the elevator and quickly traveled up to our Suite on the 12th Floor. We were in Room 1207, a "Junior Suite" with a Lake View. The room was perfect for us! You walk in and enter into a Parlor area with a half-kitchen area. To the right is the kitchen, with a wet-bar, ample cabinet space for entertaining, and a wine chiller. Then, as you proceed in, you enter the parlor seating area which has an extremely comfortable couch and chair. The parlor also has a large flat-screen HD-television with a DVD player and a surround sound system. On either side of the television unit is a set of sliding doors that lead into the bedroom area. The bedroom is a very nice sized room, with an excellent King Size Hyatt Grand Bed, along with another HD-television. Then, if you continue into the room and to the right, you enter the bathroom area, equipped with excellent upgraded bath amenities and a large shower/tub. Finally, both the parlor and the bedroom have large balconies with truly excellent views of the Lake. All-in-all, a truly wonderful suite -- again, fully worth spending the extra money!

Our main goal of the weekend was to have a fun pool day, and this property always allows for that. The pool has recently undergone an extremely pricey renovation, and it looks AMAZING! The pool now has ample plush double loungers, each with a push-button for poolside service. Also, large shade umbrellas have been installed for those who wish to have shade; these new additions provide for ample shade for those who want it, as well as plenty of open spaces to take in the beautiful Florida sun. The pools here are truly amazing, and some of the best in Central Florida -- if you just want a relaxing pool day, this is definitely the property for you!

In addition to all of that, do not forget the food -- this property offers truly excellent food!

First, for those staying in Regency Club Rooms, this is one of the nicest Hyatt Regency Clubs in the continental United States, offering beautiful views of all of the Disney Theme Parks -- including beautiful fireworks views! And, in addition to the amazing foods, the food offerings are top-notch for a Regency Club. In the morning, there is an ample Continental Selection, with a few hot items -- make sure to try the french toast! In the evening, there are also ample hot foot options. Definitely do not miss the Regency Club at this property.

Also, the pool-side food service is wonderful! Extremely quick and efficient service, strong and tasty pool-side drinks, and very well cooked food. I highly recommend the poolside hot dog for a quick and yummy poolside meal!

But, the best of the best is at this property when it comes to food -- whatever you do, do not miss Hemingway's! This is, by far, one of the best restaurants in the Disney area -- the food is EXCELLENT, and the service is to die for! I do not think that there is anything on this menu that is not truly tasty -- I highly recommend any of the fish items, as they are always extremely fresh and succulent!

All-in-all, the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress is one of the nicest hotels in the Disney area, and I would highly recommend it over any Disney Resort! Make sure to stay at this property your next visit to Walt Disney World, the Orlando theme parks, or for just a relaxing pool day!

Room Tip: Ask for a high-floor fireworks view room!
1 Thank AttorneyVin
HeeBee4, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Thank you very much for your first hand amazing experience here at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. Looks like we hit on all cylinders during your visit. It's truly appreciated when our guests have great experiences and let the Trip Advisor readers know that we are truly a world class family friendly resort. Our recently renovated rooms are welcoming and the pool and lush grounds are a great way to relax and enjoy the Florida sunshine. Dining here at the Hyatt is also special. From our new and exciting menus at Hemingway's and Cascades to the over the top experience of our world renowned Sunday brunch at La Coquina, our guests have the opportunity to dine in unique settings and being served by our seasoned professional staff. Thank you again for staying with us and please recommend us to your family and friends.