“Another home run for Country Inn”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Orlando
Ranked #230 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Another home run for Country Inn”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Great hotel, close to all attractions, free shuttle to them! very accommodating.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Kelly C, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Orlando, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. We pride ourselves on being able to satisfy our guests needs during their stay and helping to make this their home away from home, whether they are visiting the area for business or pleasure. We do hope that the next time you are in our area, you will return to say Hi! and stay with us again. We look forward to seeing you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I have always found this grade of hotels to be much the same, where ever you go in America.
As always there are always two double beds, complimentary high-speed Internet access, an in-room coffee maker, iron & ironing board, cable TV. So I have never been too fussy when booking hotels in this part of Florida.

Upon arrival at the hotel I was quite impressed with the layout, in reception there was a feature wooden staircase which broke up the area.

When I booked the hotel I requested a top floor and non-smoking room if possible. We checked in to our room and were given a room on the second floor. I would have preferred to have been higher up but appreciated that this might not have been possible.

When we arrived at the room, it was pretty standard and next to the elevator. Within a few moments someone had called the lift and you could hear the droning of elevator in action
The lift was so loud that if it was used in the night, I’m sure it would wake me up.

I returned to reception and spoke with Joey, stating that I when I booked I asked to be accommodated on one of the top floors and also I would like a room away from the lifts. I was advised that because I had booked a standard room the ones left available were all in close proximity to the lift.

Joey paused for a moment and said “I know what I will do” with the he walked off into the manager’s office. He came back a minute or so later and informed me that he had upgraded my room to a suite.

The new room was on a better floor, was larger than the room we previously had been given. We had a lounge area, which also had a fridge, microwave and a separate TV.

The accommodation it’s self was clean; there was daily maid service who changed the towels every day and the bed every other day.

The hotel provided a complimentary continental breakfast which was ok, but I found the choice quite limited which resulted in having the same thing for breakfast every day.

The hotel is situated in a good location, just a few minutes drive from Universal and within walking distance of Wet and Wild.

I would stay in this hotel again. Considering that we had a free upgrade and the money that we had paid for the room, this was extremely good value for money.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NJA_7
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed yourself and do hope that the next time you are in the Central Florida area, that you will return to visit us again! It's loyal customers who keep coming back that make our jobs great!! Thank you again!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I recently returned from a 3-night stay in Orlando as part of a longer trip through Florida. I don't require deluxe accomodations, but I do appreciate quality service, and this hotel missed the mark on a couple of measures. We didn't let this ruin our vacation, but for our next trip to Orlando I will look for an alternate hotel.

The hotel itself itself is like any other Country Inn & Suites properties. There are five floors of guestrooms. I'd ask for a low room if possible so you can rely on the stairs as the elevator was slower than molasses. Our room on the fifth floor was a non-smoking room, but only steps away from a smoking away so the smell lingered quite significantly in the hallway. This would, I imagine, be an issue for anyone who may have respiratory problems. A little extra cleaning and/or ventilation would go a long way.

The interior of the room was exactly as expected, with two queen beds, a small breakfast table, dresser, nightstand, TV, phone, and private bathroom. I have no complaints for the room itself. A fridge and microwave were not available. The bed was relatively comfortable, certainly good enough for some rest after a long day in the parks.

The location is great, as it is only a mile or two away from Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure, along with their CityWalk nightlife district. There are tons of restaurants within a short drive, including just about every chain restaurant imaginable on International Drive. There were also a few delivery menus in our room (pizza and Chinese food) if you'd rather stay in for the night. We also visited Sea World, Aquatica, and Discovery Cove which were an easy 15-20 minute drive away. The airport was also convenient and easy to reach.

Breakfast was a fairly large variety of foods, including hot foods that varied daily such as eggs, sausage, french toast, and make-your-own waffles. There was also a traditional assortment of breads, pastries, and cereals. There was some canned fruit available, but not much in the way of fresh produce, and juices were more of the cocktail variety than something I'd drink at home. Unfortunately, despite the selection, breakfast was a downside for us. Breakfast is BUSY with lots of guests, so it takes a while just to get your food. They were out of coffee one morning, and two out of three mornings there were no empty tables to sit at due to the volume of guests dining. Luckily, we were able to take our meal to the room and brew our own coffee in the coffeemaker there. An inconvenience, surely, but not the end of the world.

Another downside was the lack of parking. Every night we were there, we saw cars parked in areas that were not marked spots, so driving in/out could be a squeeze.

Furthermore, we had been hoping to take the free shuttles to the theme parks in order to save on parking fees (~$15/day). However, the shuttle runs to the park only once a day (I believe it was twice a day to Universal), and none of the shuttles were timed early enough to make it at park opening, which was by far the quietest time at the park. I had guessed this would be the case ahead of time, but would have loved to be pleasantly surprised!

We still had a fabulous vacation, and made do with the hotel. However, hotels under $100/night are common in Orlando - at least during the low-season when we were traveling - so next time we'll stay elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank bqkali
Kelly C, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Orlando, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
I appreciate the time you took to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. I would like to sincerely apologize for the concerns you had while visiting our hotel. It is our goal that each and every guest who stays with us has a great experience while visiting us. We do hope that you will return to visit us so that we will be able to exceed your expectations on your next trip. Please feel free to contact me directly so I can assist you with your reservations.

Travellers are raving about these Orlando hotels

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Not clean
There was no refrigerator at the room
Breakfast was poor

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank PurpleLadybug_11
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review based off of your stay in April 2011. I am very disappointed to hear that we were not able to exceed your expectations. We will be adding microwaves and fridges to all the rooms in our building this year. We would like to invite you to return to visit us the next time you are in the Central Florida area. Please contact me directly to book your reservation so that I can ensure your next stay is outstanding.
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites Universal Orlando November 23rd - 26th 2011 on the 24th we had red bites all over us. We went to the front desk and asked if they ever had a bed bug problem and was told No and they would send a maintenance man up to check it out. The maintenance man showed up and confirmed there was bed bugs. We asked the hotel to have our laundry and bags washed we were told we would have to take it up with their insurance company but would not give us the insurance company’s number. We were told they would contact us and have yet to receive a call for the manager or insurance company. We had to throw way all of our luggage and put our clothes in garbage bags and spend the next 2 days of our vacation at the Wash World cleaning our clothes on our dime as well as steam cleaning our car. This had to be one of the worst experiences ever and ruined our vacation. .

Room Tip: Leave bags out in the hall way and check for bed bugs.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
11 Thank Brooke3l
cis7701, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Orlando, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
We are very sorry about the situation that you experienced while at our hotel. We try to make the experience the best we can for all of our guests and again apologize for the issues that you had. We have corrected the situation that you experienced. We value your opinion and very much take into consideration what we can do to improve our services to our visiting guests.
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Nice hotel that serves the purpose of it's location. free shuttle services available to all the parks! Rooms are fairly clean. Free full breakfast. Parking with good ilumination. Nothing fancy but if you are there to spend your day at the theme parks and just go to the hotel to sleep then this would be a good choice @ $56.00 per night. Hope this helps!

• Stayed November 2011
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Whenever my family and I take an economy vacation to Florida this is where we stay. Its like 5 minutes from Universal and less then 2 minutes from International Drive. The breakfast is a big money saver. They actually serve decent food. The staff has always been helpful every year that I have been there. The rooms have always been clean and I have no complaints about them. But keep in mind its not a resort.

There is only one downfall and only one thing about this hotel that keeps me from giving it 5 stars. DO NOT BUY YOUR TICKETS FROM THE TICKET GUY IN THE LOBBY FOR THE THEME PARKS. The sign he has sitting on his desk showing what the tickets cost with him versus what the tickets cost at the gate are NOT accurate. He charges and extra $20-$40 per ticket.

Like I said the hotel is absolutely GREAT. If it weren't for the ticket guys in the lobby scamming people with the fake prices they post I would give it 5 stars.

Room Tip: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is awesome and a must see!!!!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
cis7701, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Orlando, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. Thank you for making us aware of the situation you encountered with the ticket booth so that we are able to bring this to the attention of the manager of the company that runs it. We certainly want to be sure that our guests are getting the best value. We do hope that the next time you are in the Central Florida area, you will return to see us again. We look forward to it!! Have a wonderful holiday season and a prosperous 2012!