“Comfiest beds ever, but not the cleanest”

Wyndham Cypress Palms
Ranked #152 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
TN
“Comfiest beds ever, but not the cleanest”
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We chose this resort due to its proximity to Universal. Since we have been staying all over Orlando (and all the outlying areas) for over 14 years, we know what to expect from most "resorts". Let me start out by saying that this place had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on. A good bed goes a LONG way with me even if the location isn't particularly clean. However, there were way too many other shortcomings for me to be a repeat customer. First, this is an RCI location, so they try and give you the sales pitch no matter how tired you are even when you say no. Then, there's the matter of paper thin walls and having what sounds like a herd of buffalo above you unless you are lucky enough not to have neighbors. You can hear EVERYTHING your neighbors do from above and beside your apartment. The rooms never get a good, deep cleaning. After walking around on the visibly grungy carpet for a few minutes, you will notice that your feet are totally black. There were also all sorts of bugs in our apartment. It wasn't a total infestation, just enough to make you feel uncomfortable. The couch in our apartment was filthy and falling apart, but most of the other furniture was okay. I can't understand why they put fresh paint and new appliances in these units but then leave a trashy couch, old tile, and filthy carpet. For a short stay, this location would be adequate but for longer stays you'd be much better off renting a home.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor to avoid the most noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jagrsgirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Finnish first
Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2012

-We just returned from a 1 week stay at the Wyndham Cypress palms and it was excellent. We have stayed in the Orlando area 4 times at different resorts and this one was one of the best! Now we were just a couple so not sure if there would be alot to do with children as its a smaller resort but very close to everything. I called in advance and put a request in for top floor renovated room and that is what i got. Nice view of the little pond onsite.
-They have 2 pools but i only used 1 of them and had no issues getting a lounger in the middle of the day. We had a 1bdrm, very clean and modern. They brought in new Patio furniture when we were there.
-As for the timeshare sales people, your gonna have that anywhere you go, if your at a resort. They check you in and then they send you to a different desk to get your parking pass, which is where they try to get you on a Timeshare presentation, Just say No and your on your way! Yes they called again and i just said i was busy and that was the end of it!!
-I hope this helps anybody looking at booking into here!!

Room Tip: No restaurant on site but lots within walking distance!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LoveMickeyMouse3
Barboursville, Virginia
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Just got back from a two week stay. Great location, clean rooms, comfortable furniture, screened balcony, elevators, friendly staff, no real timeshare push. In room free internet.
This was the 4th time staying here. Hoping to stay again in the fall.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank bonnietalk
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Stayed here in 2009 also and really enjoyed the quiet location. There are 2 pools/3 inset grills on the property. The staff here is over the top awesome. Love the updated look and decor. Thank u for a lovely stay.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank mouthfromthasouth
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Stayed at the Cypress Palms for the last two weeks in April. The resort is beautiful and well kept. Pool area is immaculate. Staff very friendly and helpful. This is a wonderful resort. Very clean and well maintained. 5 minutes from Disney but hidden from the hustle and bustle of other resorts. The staff very friendly and helpful. Millisa at check-in is professional and always an absolute jewel. She made us feel special and was very accommodating to us. Thank you Millisa, we'll be back again soon.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JZDOIT
Mars, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We decided to take the grandkids to Disney this year but with the cost off air, tickets, car rental and food we were looking for something off-site. Since we are members of RCI I searched their database to find a hotel or resort in the area and chose the Cypress Palms not knowing what we would find. We were pleasantly surprised. check-in was very quick, the desk clerks were great and personable. we stayed in building 503 on the second floor. I was concerned as I took my mobility scooter with me, but I didnt need to take it to the room as parking was close and there are elevators if needed. this is definitely not a resort. We had a 2 bedroom and it had plenty of room. room 1 had a king bed and room 2 had two doubles. the room was clean but the kitchen was poorly stocked. it a couple utensils for cooking, glasses and plates a pot and pan and thats it. you need to supply everything else. luckily there is Walmart less than 10 min away as we made breakfast in daily. the pool was heated and very nice. lots of towels available but only 14 lounges for a large resort! come-on guys, invest in some lounges around the pool. the spa tub has hot and was working properly the entire stay. this resort/hotel is in a great location. although they dont have an on-site restaurant, it's just minutes from lots of food places and all the attractions. the kids enjoyed the pool more than Disney...go figure. one area they need to work on is towels in the room. you have to call the desk anytime you need more towels, however, delivery was quick but they did not supply and laundry bags to put the old towels in so we had tons laying all over the place, we finally got a walmart bag and stuffed them in it and called the desk to pick them up. there were activities daily for the kids but they never went to any of them. they have an activity center where they hold them. they also have a ping pong table and a broken fooz-ball machine in the building. thats about it for activities. Don't count on spending any time there. check-out was a breeze, drop off the room key at the desk and leave. if we went back to this area, we would probably stay here again as we know what to expect and the price was awesome. If we were not spending most of the time off the property, we would not return to this property.

Room Tip: ask for a room close to one of the pools
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Paul A
Apalachin, New York
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed at the Cypress Palms through a RCI exhange for a week (April 30-May 4, 2012). This is a nice small resort. We have been to lot of resorts and it is pushing it to say this is a resort. There are only minimal child based activities and not much effort is put into the activities. For example junk food bingo was a bingo game with about 8 people present that gave away bags of potatoe chips, snacks etc. but you had to buy a card for a $1. There is no adult oriented activites, no bars, no restaurant on grounds, not even a breakfast area. The pool areas (2) are nice but small, the chairs are uncomfortable and need cushions.

This could more be described as an apartment complex for families going the Orlando parks. During the day the place becomes empty which is good if you want to use the pool. In the evening things pick up as the families return but by 9:00 the place is dead.

We had an older 1 bedroom (not the lockout side) with a full kitchen. The kitchen needed updating but was clean and average (pictures on the web site show the newer kitchens, you can tell by the appliances if white its old, it black its new). The bathroom also needed upgrading, though again it was clean and ok. The furniture was in good condition, the bed was average. We had a problem with the water heating up and they sent someone up. We found it takes a minute or so for the hot water to arrive, so be patient. Both of the window curtains were broken, one was at a slant, the other was hard to put down. They offered us another room but we could tolerate the minor issues. The balcony is screened in and the furniture is plastic and uncomfortable and was dirty. The balcony floor paint was considerably chipped. Overall the room was average, but it was clean. The grounds are nice, well maintained. There are many restaurants within walking distance and their back parking lots meet the edge of the resort.

We are a middle age couple, our children are grown and this is not the place for couples. It really is a good base for those with children, but the resort itself is pretty boring for couples with out children/grandchildren.

Now the biggest problem, we were told that as RCI members Wyndham had purchased RCI and we could attend a "Updating" of benefits and would receive a gift card and some vacation time. We decided it would be worth seeing what the updated benefits were. Now the problems that came with that decision.

First the updating. That was not true, it really is a timeshare sales pitch though they really don't sell a timeshare (IE; base resort) but instead sell you points based on your imaginary timeshare and your current timeshare (you trade your current timeshare weeks in for points).

They told us to meet at 8 in the morning in the main building for this presentation. When we got there after about 10 minutes a sales person asked us if we wanted to drive our vehicle or she could drive. We stated we walked over to the building as we thought she was going to show us a updated demo at Cypress Palms. She stated she was driving, then left the grounds. We asked her where we were going and she said "Bonnet Creek" . We stated that we thought everything was on grounds and she stated the main office was at Bonnet Creek so we went. Big mistake.

They told us the presentation was about 90 minutes. It lasted over 7 hours. It was a comedy of errors. There were no seats in the main area, so our sales rep. walked as around the halls and then pressd a button on a TV which had a video of Bonnet Creek. She then shot the "s" with us for another 15 minutes until a table became available. She then offered us some coffee, drinks, etc. and a bathroom break another 15 minutes. She then explain the same stuff we saw in the film and got some information from us, another 15 minutes. We stated we were not interested in a new timeshare and we were still paying on the old one. Another mistake as she then stated we could convert our timeshare to points with them. Another agent came to the table and the two explained, with a lot of gaps, the points program. Bascially they assign you points for your resort, give you points for the amount of purchase you make with Wyndham and give you some one time bonus points. They then handed me a form asked for my license so that they could see my credit (the license was to verify that I was me). The form was a credit card request (I read everything). I stated that I did not want a credit card and they stated that this was they only way they could make a credit inquiry in a rapid fashion (not true) and that I would not get the credit card unless I wanted it. I again stated that I did not want the credit card and they stated that I just had to sign that I wanted a credit review and give my ss#. I did. The aftermath, when I got home they sent me a credit card even though I did not fill out the form. I cancelled it.

The male sales rep. then went to sort out our credit rating (really mine as my wife had no ID and was told she should have brought one to which she stated, no one told her) and get some offers. They said what my credit rating was and came back with a $67,000 offer and for that each year we get 350, 000 points from Wyndham and the other stuff. We said not interested. Then they said they would look at something else and while they did we could tour the site. We then were taken four buildings away and up to the14th floor and the sales rep. took us to four rooms that would not open. She then started telling a housekeeping staff that she needed a room to show us. For 15 minutes there was all kinds of discussions about where the demo room was (you would think they might have this down, but nope). People were saying there was no one in the room, there were accusations of someone locking the door by mistake, security could not open the door and finally one staff found a room. Nice room, nice resort, but we stated we would not use this resort, even thought it had a lot going on as it was full of kids, they even had a small kids water park. We stated that though we like children but on vacation we liked peace and quite which does not go hand in hand with kids.

We went back and they gave us several new deals each time saying it was the best deal we could get then would go back to the "boss" and come back with a better deal. The whole time the kept saying the RCI was "ripping us off". Finally we stated we were done, that if Wyndham owned RCI, it was poor sales to say they were ripping us off, why would we buy from someone that was the owner of a company ripping us off? That this was not the presentation we were told about.

My wife and I agreed we were fine with what we had and when the rep. came back we stated it was over. We told them that the presentation was not what we expected, that we were not interested in Bonnet Creek, that the price was too much for us. We where then told a person would have to be a "idiot" not to accept the deal as it was worth ten times the amount they wanted from us. They told us how to use credit card accounts to avoid paying interest.

They went on to state that they could come up with new figures and then wrote them on a pieced of paper. We said no again and stated that a 90 minute presentation was now over 7 hours and we were done. Then they said it took that long because of all the questions we had. At that point I lost it and stated we only had questions about why this was taking so long.

They then took us back to our resort. We told the orginal sales rep. that we were disappointed about the inneundos that we were less than intellegent because they didn't have a product we liked. We then were asked where the "blue" slip was and we stated it was given to her at the start of the presentation and that someone had taken it off the table at the sales office. She stated that she couldn't give use a reward as the slip was needed and we stated we did not care at this point. She then stated maybe she could convince Cypress Palms to give us the gift with out the form. We went into the lobby and she talked to a person at the Wyndham sales desk and they got a form and told us to go upstairs to get our certificate. Upstairs was another sales room.

We were seated and a sales person came in and stated they were processing are gift and that they had a special one time trial offer in which we could get 184,000 points for trading in our time share and another 135, 000 points for $1795 for just one time. We asked what it would cost for a time share in Hawaii and they gave us a catalog which showed prices around 250,000 points. I stated it would cost me almost all my points for 1 week at the hotel and it would cost $1800 plus my time share for a year and she stated yes and I stated "That's one of the worst offers I have every heard of. I can trade my time share now for a week in Hawaii for $199 a week and only use one side." We were then told by another sales rep. in the room that we had be given a $47,000 offer for $1800 and I did respond "Your wrong its an $1800 offer" He then said 300.000 points is worth $47,000 and I said "are you nuts, you saying that a week in Hawaii is about $40,000 as it costs 250,000 points, that just another insult from you people." At that point I said give me the gift card you can keep the 3 day vacation, its not worth it.

Had to tell eveyone of this. We are well travel, have had the timeshare for a long time and we want everyone to avoid this problem. This is a big black cloud for any stay at Wyndham.

Cypress Palms is ok if your family is going to the parks. We have been to resorts where you did not have to leave the grounds for a week. That's a resort. Cypress Palms is more of a long term stay facility with about the same ammenties as a Residence Inn, just a little larger space.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room near a pool. When booking get a full kitchen. Full kitchens are never the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank msmacher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
4.3 km away
13.9 km away
StaySky Suites I-Drive Orlando
6.4 km away
Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort

Been to Wyndham Cypress Palms? Share your experiences!