“Slightly less than perfect”

Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #79 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Birmingham, Alabama
“Slightly less than perfect”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We have stayed at many of the Disney properties and I absolutely LOVE the Wilderness Lodge - The ONLY reason I did not give this property a perfect 5 is because the beds were SO uncomfortable! I did not mention my discomfort to my family but after a couple of days, they also commented on it and we compared notes.... The problem is the bedding. The beds have the most uncomfortable bedspreads on the beds. STIFF polyester, and scratchy.... I would fold down the bedspread and it would practically stand on its own! If it happened to brush against my skin while I was sleeping it woke me up! My kids had the same problem and said that was their only complaint. It is my only complaint as well. Everything else about the Wilderness Lodge and the Villas is wonderful! Breathtaking lobby, cozy, warm and beautiful! The staff is outstanding! I would stay here again, but I would bring our own blankets! It would be a great place to stay in the colder months because of the warmth, the fireplaces, etc.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank travelmom71717

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We stayed here in December and loved everything about our visit.
We stayed in the DVC 1 bedroom for 2 nights and the studio for 1 night.
We prefer the 1 bedroom with a kitchen because we can cook our food and save money.
The lobby in the hotel is decorated so beautifully and we were able to take a lot of great family photos. The restaraunts also have great food and atmosphere.
The only con I can stay about the DVC area is that the units are very far removed from the main lobby hotel and it is a hike ith a 2 & 4 year old every day.
There is a great little boat that docks at the hotel and will take you to the Magic Kingdom too.

Room Tip: There is a WInn Dixie and Publix near by to buy groceries if you are staying in a unit with a kitch...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank JAXTRAVELLINGMOM
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 March 2012

This was our first time staying at the villas. it was rustic and very beautiful. We took the magical express from the airport and loved not having to rent a vehicle or do any driving. We had a two bedroom, two bath, living room and kitchen. Everything was clean and very comfortable. We all slept like logs every night. It was so quiet and it was amazing to know that this place was booked solid yet didn't feel jammed packed. There were two pools, three hot tubs/jacuzzis, and a one foot pool for the little ones. There were two restaurants, a bar, and a cafe. The staff was just wonderful and always had a big smile and good wishes for the day. Transportation was right outside the hotel whether by bus or boat. Absolutlely a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Freckles2212
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This was our first time staying at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. I love the decor; if you like staying in a national park, this is perfect atmosphere. The staff was great and friendly. I had done online check in before arrival and after we went through the guard gate, we were actually greeted by someone who had our keys and welcome packet in hand. Pretty convenient! We drove most places but did use the Disney bus to get to Fort Wilderness for the Hoop de Doo show. It's the first stop so it was quick and easy. My only complaint is the lighting; things are pretty dim over the mirrors so a bit challenging to put make up on. I'd definitely stay there again though.

Room Tip: We were in 1516 - the closest room to the entrance of the Villas - which was great. We had asked f...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank QTandToots
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 11 March 2012

This was our 4th time staying here, obviously one of our favorite Disney resorts. We had a great stay, the service was typical Disney quality..Awesome! The resort is in a great location, just a boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom. The themeing is excellent! The Whispering Canyon Cafe is a fun place to eat, the food is very good. It is themed so well, you wouldn't think you're in Florida. It feels just what it was themed for..like you're staying at a lodge in one of our national parks out west!
Only drawback with this resort is the main pool. It just isn't on par with other Deluxe resort pools. A better water slide would definitly change my opinion. If the waterslide dosen't bother you then the pool is fine.
I'd advise against accepting the handicaped room...unless you need it. We were given this room becuse it was the only one ready when we checked in, I was tired from driving , I just wanted to sleep, so I accepted it. You lose a lot of counter space, plus no eating counter and you need to put a towel in front of shower or your bathroom floor gets wet.
These items will not prevent me from staying here again, this resort is a favorite! If it weren't for the handicap room I would've rated this excellent!

Room Tip: Don't accept handicap room unless you need it! You lose valuable counter space. Request no serv...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank john m
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My wife, two daughters (ages 7 & 9), and I recently made our annual winter school vacation trip to Walt Disney World. Since we are Disney Vacation Club owners, we generally stay on property at DVC resorts. For this trip, we decided to stay at the Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge due to it's proximity to the Magic Kingdom. We were very happy with our choice! When we arrived at 11:30 AM our room was already ready. Normal check-in for Disney resorts is 3:00 PM, so we were extremely happy to be able to check-in early.
We stayed in a studio room which comes equipped with a queen bed, double sleeper sofa, flat screen TV, dvd player, coffee maker, refrigerator, and microwave. We typically have a light breakfast in the room each morning, so the kitchen area made things easy.
The resort has a great lobby and the grounds are beautifully maintained. Overall, you really get the feeling of being in the Northwest wilderness. In addition to the pools, the resort offers an arcade, a children's activity center, bike rentals, boat rentals, nightly marshmellow roasting and movies on the beach. We enjoyed a great dinner at the resort's signature restaurant, Artist Point, and the counter service restaurant, Roaring Forks, had lots of quick and tasty options as well.
The location of the resort was terrific! The boat ride to the Magic Kingdom took less than 10 minutes. There is also a boat that will take you to the Contemporary Resort, which is convenient if you have reservations at the California Grill or Chef Mickey's. Buses are available to take you to the other parks and Downtown Disney.
Overall, we were extremely happy with our decision to stay at the Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Greg R
Rhode Island
Reviewed 7 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights following a Disney Cruise (March 1st and 2nd).
I have stayed here before and love the atmosphere. The lobby is beautiful and I can sit in there for hours just relaxing. The pool is great but can get noisy at times with all of the kids.

The room were very rustic looking but is what you would expect of "a lodge". The closet smelled a little musty and I hated the location of the safe, at the back of the closet. You literally had to go in the closet and walk a few feet to use it. We had a first floor room, try and get a higher floor. Management couldn't accomodate the room change request so I was disappointed.

The room had a fridge but it seemed to be off or not working. Also a microwave and coffee pot, both of which we didnt use.

We ate our first night at the whispering canyon cafe right in the hotel. I have been to disney 40 times and had never eaten there so we were excited! Instant mood killer: HAIR in our food!!! It still grosses me out thinking about it and we will never eat there again!

Otherwise a fun place and end to our week on the Disney Dream! <3

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and choose pool view if budget allows.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple