“Great Value For Larger Families or for Those Looking for a Nice Place on a Budget!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Orlando-Nearest to Univ Studios
Ranked #59 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We just returned from a Disney/Legoland vacation from March 15-21. I chose Homewood Suites mainly because our trip was somewhat last minute and it was the best rate I could find that could accommodate a family of our size (2 adults, 4 small children, 1 infant). I was a little apprehensive at booking because the last few times we've stayed in the Disney resorts or at the Marriott time share resorts in the area and were just overwhelmed each time with how awesome they were. This year we were on a tighter budget so our options were limited. Also, I know the area well and was a little concerned about the area as I-Drive isn't what it used to be and having a Motel 6 and Super 8 so close by can never be a good sign. But I have to say, I could not have been more pleased with this hotel and I would come back again. It far exceeded my expectations. We had a suite with 2 queen beds and the living room had a sofa bed. The suite was clean, spacious and the bedroom had plenty of space for the pack & play the hotel provided for our infant son. Kitchen area was small but it was great having access to a full kitchen to keep milk cold, prepare bottles, etc. Living room also wasn't huge but honestly, we didn't do anything more than sleep in the room so never actually had to use the living room 'AS' a living room. It was just extra sleeping space. It was nice to be able to spread out a little.

Breakfast was always busy and depending on what time you went down there, tables were at a premium. We always got one, but it wasn't easy. They have a few high chairs available for little ones. There was a nice patio near the pool that had a few more tables if the inside got too crazy. The food selection was good. Eggs everyday, a waffle station, fruit, cereal, breads, coffee, juice, and varying selection from day to day of breakfast meats, or biscuits & gravy, or potato pancakes. Each day was different. Staff was overwhelmed from time to time just keeping up with it all and ensuring all stations were stocked, but they were friendly and hard working. An added hand wouldn't hurt them. They offer a light dinner on weeknights, but we did not take advantage of it as we were never back from the parks in time. They post a dinner menu on your refrigerator in the suite.

Housekeeping did a good job keeping the suite clean and we didn't have any issues. The staff was very friendly and all the staff members we encountered said hello and were friendly. At check-in it was a breeze (late at night) I was advised of all the hotel had to offer, breakfast times, etc. Never had an issue finding parking during our stay but it was apparent that Homewood and their sister property HGI next door were close to capacity. If you stay on an upper floor the elevator closest to the lobby was a little slow so if your room is in the middle of the hallway, recommend the rear elevator. It was a little faster - and you can get good parking right near the door. Lobby isn't huge but its welcoming and they have a nice little waterfall/water wall that separates the check in area from the breakfast area. There is also a Universal ticket office in the lobby to buy tix to the parks. Laundry rooms had 2 washers and 1 dryer; found that a little odd. I ended up having to dry clothes on separate floors just to get the 2 loads dried with out draining $$'s on the single dryer. Used the Business Center to print our discounted tix to Legoland (buy online and save and don't wait in line). Biz center was small but had 2 computers and 2 printers available. Hotel also has a game room for the kids and nice fitness center. Not huge but has all the necessary equipment. Wi-fi in the room worked well and never had any problems with it.

Hotel location is good That was one of my apprehensions prior to coming, but it really is a super quiet area and I felt safe. Back entrances required a key swipe to get in and there was an evening security guard (only saw the night I arrived but apparently they are there all the time). Hotel is walking distance to Wet & Wild and plenty of restaurants nearby. But to be practical, you need to rent a car if you stay here. Universal is close and they offer a shuttle but times seemed inconvenient. Disney is about a 15 minute drive, Universal about 2 mins, Airport about 15 mins. Stay away from I-Drive/Sand Lake intersection. That light has always been a disaster and 20 years later, it still is. Use the roads near Universal to get on/off I-4. WAY easier. There is a 24 hour Walgreens around the corner. Beware, its very understaffed and overwhelmed with late night foreign customers who slow the one line down trying to figure out American currency. It has all you need and is convenient but try to avoid the 11pm - Midnight hour. There is a Super Walmart about 5 mins away as well.

The last day we enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi (pretty much had it to ourselves). The water temperature was comfortable, it was clean, and kids had a blast. Plenty of towels and chairs, as well as some 'cabanas' - they are not really cabanas, more like stylish tents, but they do provide shade if that is your thing. There is also a basketball court which is a nice addition if you have older children. Each night there were teens playing, but it never got too loud (occasional sound of ball bouncing heard from the 4th floor but court lights go out by 10pm I think so it isn't a big deal). Our room faced towards I-Drive. Other reviews say these are a little quieter than the ones facing I-4, but I don't know that for sure. We never had a problem with noise. Also the patio I mentioned above has 2 fairly new Weber grills so if BBQing your own meal is your thing, this is a nice amenity.

When making your hotel selection, if you are looking for great value, good location, and clean, spacious rooms this place will fit your needs, especially if you are looking to accommodate a larger size family without breaking the bank. For $125/nt where else are you going to get that rate inclusive of free hot breakfast, free parking, free wi-fi, and all the amenities described above (WITHOUT a resort fee)? Hard to find a value like that during peak travel weeks, especially when booking somewhat last minute. This place exceeded our expectations and I recommend you give it a shot. The proximity to Universal is a big win for this hotel. We didn't do Universal this trip due to the younger ages of our children, but being so close to the park is definitely a perk of this hotel. I look forward to visiting again when the kids are ready for Universal!

Room Tip: Room facing the pool/I-Drive was quiet. If you stay further away from the lobby, the rear elevator i...
5  Thank sannicandrob
KBeears, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Orlando-Nearest to Univ Studios, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Dear Sannicandrob:
Thank you so much for your comprehensive review of our hotel. I really appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor. We especially appreciate your kind words regarding our staff and it goes a long way in letting them know how much their efforts are appreciated. I know they truly enjoy helping our guests and it was such a pleasure to have you with us. When your travels bring you back to Orlando, we do hope to see you again.

Keith Beears

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Positive aspects:
1) Very nice suite,with a kitchen and separate bed room.
2) Location,very close to several atractions.
3) Clean and comfortable.
4) Very nice staff.
5) Free parking.
6) Free internet,also into room.
7) New hotel,new furniture.
8) Very quiet room (pool view),more sound (road view).
9) Two flat TV sets,one in the living and one in the room.
10) USA today (newspaper) every day in the door.
11) Free breakfast.
12) Swimming pool,basketball field,game room,gym room,etc.
13) Extra snacks every night (monday>thursday)

Negative aspects:
1) Breakfast,poor with few options of breads,iogourts,fruits and others (weak point of this nice hotel).
2) USD 5.00 per each packaging delivered for guests.

Room Tip: Choose view pool rooms.
2  Thank limasboy
Reviewed 25 March 2012

just got back from a wedding in Tampa. the Homewood suites was great! for its price with the breakfast included. it was great. very relaxing place.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

It was good but honestly wasn't "impressed" although we were only there one night and did not arrive until 9:30. Did not do much there but the free breakfast was just the normal and was ok. Rooms were clean but just nothing to them so a good place to stay just for a bit.

1  Thank Carmen M
Reviewed 23 March 2012

My daughter and I stayed at Homewood Suites March 17-22, 2012 for a spring break trip to Universal Studios. The hotel and rooms are very clean, and the service was excellent. A few thoughts on our stay....
- We used the free shuttle service to the Universal parks once. It's faster to walk. A cab ride home from the parks was $7, so with a tip $10. Its worth it when you're tired.
-The walk to Wet and Wild is about 10 minutes. If you don't have a towel, buy a cheap one from the souvenir store across the street before going to the park. Towel rental is $7 or you can buy the cheap Wet & Wild one for $10.
-Breakfast was decent. The employees in charge of breakfast were trying hard to keep up, but they need to add an extra staff member. Juice needed to be replenished, tables cleaned, and some of the food items needed to be replenished as well.

Would I stay again? Yes, if I wanted to stay in this price range. In hindsight, I probably would have paid quite a bit more to stay at one of the universal properties. They are closer to the universal parks, and by staying there, you get Express Pass privileges. This saves you a lot of time waiting in line.

2  Thank adavis_STL
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We just returned from a 7 night stay at the Homewood Suites nearest Universal and I would defintely recommend this Hotel. The location was perfect for park visits to Universal Studios. Its located right off International Drive with all the tourist attractions, restaurants and shopping you could want. The (price included)breakfast was a great money and time saver every morning. We didn't have time to sample the complimentary dinner from Mon to Thurs. The staff were very friendly and the housekeeping service was impeccable. The only complaint I can think of is the slow elevator (a minor annoyance). Keep up the good work.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

Three adults just back from staying at the Homewood Suite nearest Universal Studios. We had a suite with a pull out bed in the living room. The room was very nice and very clean. Was very comfortable.

Service/staff were very helpful and satisfied our every request. We had a few extra requests (extra night being one of them) and they accomidated without a problem.

Was very convenient to have breakfast served every morning.

The only thing I would warn about is that if you don't have a rental car it may be a little costly getting to all the parks. Shuttle only runs to Universal and only in the morning.

High recommend staying at Homewood Suites.

2  Thank Fly2ofus