“Consideration, appreciation and general care” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa

Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa
Ranked #198 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Consideration, appreciation and general care”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

My wife and i have just spent a memorable 2 weeks holiday at the Westgate Resort and Spa in Orlando.
All the staff were fantastic. Everything was 1st class and I cannot praise the employees enough for all their help and consideration.

There is only one downside to this resort, that is, there is no enterainment at night on site.
I am writing to Mr. David Seigel to suggest this issue and as I am an Opera singer and entertainer to offer him my sevices at the westgate resort.
We would like to thank you all most sincerely for a wonderful holiday and hope to see you later on in the year.

Harvey & Angela Miller

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cantorharv
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Thank you for your review Mr. and Mrs. Miller. We are so glad that you both had a “memorable 2 weeks holiday” at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. We work hard to accommodate everyone’s needs as much as we can, so we are so glad to hear you say that our staff was “fantastic” and that you cannot “praise the employees enough.” We will share your comments with all of our staff and we will also share your comments about entertainment with our activities director. Thank you again for your kind words. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and we look forward to exceeding your expectations again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,025)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We arrived just as a severe thunderstorm swept into the area. As we started the check in process the electricity went out with a dramatic flair. Although this event was scary to some and entertaining to others, the hotel staff completed our check in without fault and everyone was absolutely professional and friendly.
After checking in we went to the resort restaurant, "Westgate Smokehouse Grill". This restaurant does not take reservations and we understood that when we called before arriving. We were told that the wait would be fifteen to twenty minutes and that is exactly what it was. The staff was very friendly and courteous. Everything that we were served was excellent!
p.s. We just returned from our dinner on the second night . . . I normally don't order Top Sirloin
because I never like the flavor or texture but this time I did because it was the smallest steak they offered . . . it was one of the best Top Sirloin steaks I've ever had!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2016
Thank you for your feedback. We have been making some great updates to our resort and hope you come back soon to see what we have to offer!

Best regards,
Ariel
Huntington, WV
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I booked this hotel along with our car rental for our weeklong vacation to Orlando. We were attending MegaCon and also going to Disney, etc. After booking the room, I read more reviews online and was nervous about the high-pressure sales, etc.

We arrived at 10:30 p.m. and I had just started getting a bad cold the day we left, so we were ready to go to our room. When we checked in, they immediately tried to get us to meet with a sales rep to get the "free" things they offered. I refused repeatedly and the rep was incredibly rude and refused to even give me a property map.

We got to our room, which was a decent size with a good size bathroom. The rooms however have no overhead light or lamps, so the only light was above the beds. The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything that goes on around you. The beds were at least comfortable, although we could hear so much noise, it was hard to sleep.

I immediately unplugged the room phone to avoid any further harassing sales calls, which I'm sure they were tons of them since the message light was blinking when we entered the room.

Parking was a nightmare on a couple of nights. On Saturday, we got back around 11 and we drove around for 40 minutes trying to find a spot at any of the buildings. We ended up having to park at the main building where you check in and walked to our building (#2200).

Housekeeping didn't come to our room everyday, when they did, they did bring us fresh towels and made the bed a few times. They never did vacuum the room.

You have to pay a $9.95 a day resort fee which includes Wi-Fi, although you can only connect one device at a time to it, which was a big pain.

The location of the resort was its one saving grace. It is close to International Drive, Universal and a short hop on I-4 to Disney. It is also really close to a Wal-mart.

I wish we had stayed anywhere else. We stayed at Enclave Suites last year and had a much better stay for a cheaper price.

Westgate is primarily concerned with selling timeshares and it shows. Keep looking!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SexySadie82
Thank you for your feedback. We have been making some great updates to our resort and hope you change your mind and come back soon to see what we have to offer.

Best regards,
Ariel
Okemos, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

t's the little things that count when traveling and make a stay enjoyable. You won't find them here! Service at this hotel was abysmal. If you are going to Orlando for an event at the Convention Center DO NOT STAY HERE. The hotel is located across the highway and not accessible to I-Drive except by taxi ($15+ one way). International Drive is the major tourist area featuring most hotels, restaurants, shopping, convention center, Sea World, with an excellent trolley system than runs the length of the road daily.. Westgate does not offer shuttles to the I-Drive area so you must take a cab. Shuttles leave only 2 times a day to Universal and Disney and at odd times. Convention transportation offered by most other hotels was only offered 2 of the 4 days of our convention. Airport shuttles do not run to this hotel so again a cab ($40-50) There are no car rental companies located at this hotel like most other hotels in the area. Shuttles regularly did not appear when expected and drivers were not clear on pick up spots. Shuttles within the property were also slow and unpredictable. Internet is sporadic and unreliable dropping my connectivity 4 or 5 times during an hour online. ONLY ONE DEVICE per room can be online at a time without paying a $10 extra fee. All lighting in the room is overhead with CFL's and impossible to moderate. Overhead reading lights were so bright it was impossible sleep if one partner wanted to sleep while the other read. Our room had lights only on one side so the desk and dinette were not lit at all. Shower pressure was weak along with a low flow non adjustable shower head that delivered a halo of water. Coffee is not provided in the room. You must ask for a coupon from the front desk daily and then take that coupon to the marketplace to exchange it for 1 coffee set up. You will pay a resort fee when you arrive and you'll be strong armed into one of those "tour" deals with the promise of vouchers and discounts. Language barriers with staff

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Janefal
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Thank you for your review. To provide clarification, we are a condo rental resort, not a hotel. Our maintenance staff is prompt and professional and would have fixed your shower head upon notification of the issue. Our front desk team would have also been happy to assist you with local transportation options. You are right, we do offer free, scheduled shuttle rides to local theme parks and attractions only. Our shuttle schedule is available to all resort guests. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and we apologize for not exceeding your expectations. If you would like to address your concerns with management, please give us a call at: (407) 345-0000.
Sedona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I traded into this resort via Interval International, but I understand they also book rooms as a "hotel." Either way, I would never stay here again. If you are booking this as a hotel guest or you are exchanging into this "resort," you will be treated as a 2nd class citizen. The rooms the resort assigns for hotel and exchanging guests are old and look like they have not been updated since the 1980's. Sparse and dated decor and cheap finishes. The bedding is not the caliber of a high-end resort - more like what you would expect at a Motel 6. The buildings used for "non-owners" are the ones that are right up against the busy highway - very noisy!
To use any of the amenities of this resort there is an extra fee. You are nickel and dimed to death. They even charge for Wi-Fi access! Who does that?
When we checked in, we were quickly shuflled into a time-share tour, in order to get some supposed theme park "discounts" which were only good if you were doing multi-day passes, and you can get the same discount by buying tickets online. The other "awards" for this tour were weak - the only one we used was a $25 certificate for the restaurant. Don't fall for it!
I was really annoyed at being talked in to exchanging for this resort, as I had my eye on a Marriott - which I know would have been better by far. Never again!

Room Tip: If you are able to get in one of the "Owners' Buildings" (good luck) the room might be...
2 Thank RedRoxy
Thank you for your review. We apologize for the issues you experienced while staying with us. We treat all of our guests and owners with the highest respect and professionalism. We are in the process of renovating a lot of our villas to make sure we provide all of our guests with comfortable, upgraded rooms. Had we known that you were not comfortable in your room, we could have moved you to another room. Guest satisfaction is our top priority so we would have made sure you were comfortable and satisfied. Right now, wi-fi is free only to our owners, but we will take your comments into consideration. If you would like to address your concerns with management, please give us a call at: (407) 345-0000. Thank you again and we do hope that you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations.
Camden, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I really wish I had seen this before I would not have made the mistake of going to this place.
called the property before booking was told they provide shuttle to theme park- lies, was sent to 2nd property- no different. Motel 6 and 8 are cleaner and someone at least comes and cleans those places daily, picks up garbage. Manager, conceirge service, bell boys, security- all workers do not care - they seem to be gov employees. STAY AWAY FROM THESE WESTGATE PROPERTIES IF YOU WANT GOOD MEMORIES... or YOUR VACATION WILL BE LIKE ONE OF 'THE DISASTER MOVIES' AT THE UNIVERSAL STUDIO THEME PARKS

Room Tip: JUST STAY AWAY FROM HERE. ... do not go for dump on vacation... stay at home.. not worth throwing yo...
3 Thank moni g
Thank you for your review. First, we would like to apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and we pride ourselves on providing outstanding customer service. Our resort is currently being renovated to ensure our guests enjoy their vacations in fully furnished, upgraded villas. We currently offer fully furnished kitchens, whirlpool tubs, seven outdoor heated pools, activities center, and more! We do provide free, scheduled theme park transportation to Disney, Universal, and the Premium Outlet Shopping mall, but it is on a first come, first serve basis. Full details are provided upon check-in, and the shuttles are usually reserved the day before to ensure the guest’s spot. We would like to address your concerns, please call: (407) 345-0000.
Cocoa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have actually stayed here before and was quite happy. That's one of the reasons we chose to stay here again. I cannot complain about the room. The bed was fantastic, the room was clean and well maintained.

The parking situation, however, was ridiculous. We stayed for 2 nights. Upon our arrival around 4 pm, after standing in line for about 30 minutes just to register, we were lucky enough to find a spot in front of our building. We went upstairs, unloaded our baggage and then proceeded to go out for the evening. When we got back around 10:30 the closest parking was actually about 1 building away, in front of the pool. Not too bad but still inconvenient.

The second night we stayed though was a different story. We went out to a club and had a wonderful evening but when we returned back to the hotel at 2 am there were lots of people driving around. You would think it was the middle of the day. After three laps around the parking lot, looking in all kinds of places, we finally drove back to the lobby and my Husband went inside to inquire about parking. They told us that we would have to park at their restaurant (which is about a half mild down Turkey Lake Road). They were nice enough to provide security golf carts to drive you to your unit; but what a pain! Then of course in the morning I had to call for a ride back to my car. And I was not the only one. The entire restaurant parking lot was full.

Now I take my car back to my room, where there was finally an open space, and load up my bags, only to have to wait in traffic for 15 minutes (in side the property mind you) just to get to the security gate for "express checkout". What a joke and a pain in my butt!

Don't think Ill be staying here again!

Room Tip: higher rooms obvious come will less noise and you can ask for a "firework view". You can...
2 Thank Kathy P
Hi Kathy, thank you for your review. We apologize for the parking issues you and your husband experienced here. We have been experiencing higher than normal occupancy so parking has become a little scarce lately. We know this is a huge inconvenience and that is why we provided the ride back to the resort when we asked you to park at the restaurant. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention so that we can work even harder to correct this issue. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
1.4 km away
1.6 km away
Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld
7.8 km away
Caribe Royale All Suite Hotel & Convention Center

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!