“Ugggggggggggggg”

Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Whispering Canyon Cafe in Disney's Wilderness Lodge smokes up pulled pork, ribs, chicken, baked beans, corn bread and more that will satisfy any cowboy or cowgirl in the family.In this rowdy, family-style restaurant right out of the Old West, start your morning with a bang-up breakfast of favorites such as buttermilk pancakes, omelets or an all-you-care-to-enjoy Canyon Skillet.Later in the day, bring your posse by for lunch when we're serving up burgers, salads and sandwiches, or stop in for dinner and be tempted by steak, fish or salads. And we can wrangle the heartiest appetites, 'cause we've got lunch and dinner Canyon Skillets, too. Be sure to save room for the Canyon Apple Pie!
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We were seated 40(!!!!!!!!!) mins late. Not fun with 3 hungry kids in tow. The place is so loud it's unbearable. I found the waitress to be rude and annoying and not very tuned in to our non-verbal cues which had to be screaming out "hungry parents with whiney kids who just want to eat without being harassed." The food was decent but the atmosphere was just too much. I would not return. Least favorite meal of the trip.

3  Thank worleygirl
Write a ReviewReviews (2,162)

Reviewed 9 May 2013

Entertaining and very good. My son had ribs and loved it! My husband had an array of dishes and loved it. I had a salad with grilled shrimp, it was good. The wait staff will sass you, its all in good fun, and when you ask for ketchup be prepared more than one bottle will come your way!

1  Thank amsolu
Reviewed 9 May 2013

My husband and I ate here the last Monday night in April, which is also the day before his birthday. We had reservations and were seated a few minutes before our reservation time. We were just able to sit right before they have the kids ride around the restaurant on the stick horses. Our server definitely loves her job. She played right into the atmosphere. We were on Disney Dining Plan, but we ordered adult beverages, which were served promptly. My husband got served the humongous drink (it's like 64oz!) of the Pomegranate Lemonade. Yes, he finished it and our waitress announced it. Our food also came promptly. We ordered the fish, beef, and sausage. Later on we asked for some chicken as well. My husband could make a meal out of the baked beans alone. Our food was hot and very good. We never, ever leave this place hungry!!! For dessert, the server brought over a cupcake and got everyone singing happy birthday except she ate the cupcake (it's part of the fun, she brought my husband a new one to eat) and she brought our real desserts over. The Apple-Caramel Pie is to die for! This place, even when it's just the two of us, always is a great place to eat and always makes us laugh. We eat here every single time we do to Disney.

2  Thank LKNnurse
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Not a cheap meal if you aren't on the dining plan...but so worth it! My 4 year old had a ball yelling for ketchup, parading on a wooden horse and watching all men perform I'm a little tea pot. My husbands favorite food of our vacation...and I'm super picky and ordered nachos from the appetizer menu instead of the $40 family style buffet. Kids had several choices for the kids menu. We laughed so much and such a great time. Will say I reserved 180 days out for a party of 10 and they still split our table till I complained to a manager. That was ridiculous and the hostess totally gave attitude that the cheering group of 50 took all the big tables and said they came first by priority...?.. Kids loved it so I would def go back again!

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Let me preface this by saying that my family & I have been going to this restaurant for over a dozen years so this wasn't my first time here. I will try to keep this review based on only this visit.

I checked my family if four (two adults & 2 kids aged 7 & 11) five minutes before our ADR (Advanced Dining Reservation) time. The dining room was approximately 80% full & we waited 15-20 minutes to be seated. Our server took our drink orders & let us figure our what we wanted to eat. I ordered the "Western Omelette", hubby ordered the AYCE Platter, & we ordered the adult pancakes for the kids to share (3 pancakes & sausage or bacon). Our food arrived within 20 minutes & was all warm & fresh looking.

Here is where I have to compare this visit to past visits. My omelette, which I always get, looked about half the size of what it used to be but had more of the potatoes next to it. The pancakes were maybe six inches in diameter & I seriously doubt if three would fill up an average adult. The pancake plate for the kids is two of the same sized pancakes. They used to serve one large pancake, approx. 8-9 inches in diameter with two smaller ones (in a Mickey head formation) but now kids only get the ears & adults get three ears. The kids said they tasted great so that was good. And Hubby always enjoys his platter.

For drinks we ordered one coffee, one Dt. Coke, one unsweetened ice tea & one chocolate milk. My youngest drank his milk before the meal arrived & our server asked if he should bring out some water for him. I told the server that he could bring out some more milk & that was the end of that conversation.

When we got our bill we noticed that drinks are now up to $2.95 each & we were being charged for 2 milks. We asked the server about it & he told us that refills are not free on juice & milk. We to him that all of the other times that we have dined there that we have never been charged for milk refills. He told us that in the 13 yrs that he has worked there that there have never been free refills on milk or juice. Funny how we had even had him as a server before when we had gotten a free refill on milk. Whispering Canyon Cafe does offer a 10% discount for Disney Annual Passholders & DVC members & a 20% discount for Tables In Wonderland members. Our breakfast, with the discount, was $51 before the tip.

Was it worth $51 (plus tip)? Not really. In previous visits I would leave comfortably full & so would the entire family. On this visit I left wondering what was going to be for snack in a couple of hours. The pancakes have gotten very small and are almost $11. If the Western Omelette is still a 3 egg omelette they are either using eggs from a Cornish hen or get their eggs from super dainty/small chickens.

Was it tasty? Yes, but I felt that for $51 the breakfast should have left me full & not wondering why it cost so much. Unfortunately this last visit may have been our last for a long time.