“AMAZING!!!!”

Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: African
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Jiko – The Cooking Place fuses the bold flavors of traditional African, Indian and Mediterranean cuisine at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.Twin wood-burning ovens roar and the soothing, warm colors of an African sunset bring energy to this remarkable restaurant. The menu features modern cuisine with an African flair. Delight your palate with dishes that change seasonally, such as braised short ribs, Chermoula-roasted prawns, and Peri Peri roasted chicken, along with conventional favorites. Take a culinary tour of Africa with tantalizing appetizers such as grilled wild boar tenderloin, crispy beef bobotie roll and brick oven-fired flatbreads. Watch the chefs prepare each meal in The Cooking Place, a show kitchen with a rich atmosphere befitting the beauty of this unique restaurant. Jiko also offers 2 tantalizing wine-and-dine experiences: Jiko Wine Dinner Series: Four times a year, Jiko partners with renowned winemakers from South Africa to take you on a culinary journey. The chefs prepare a 6- to 8-course meal carefully designed to complement the unique characteristics of the African terroir. As you dine, the winemakers paint a picture of their vineyards through the taste of their wines—and Jiko's Wine Room transforms into a mixture of flavors, friends, aromas and conversations that go into the night.Jiko Wine Tastings: Every Wednesday, explore the South African wine regions as you taste unique wines paired with artisanal cheese.Whether you're seeking a decadent wine dinner or a vibrant accompaniment to your meal, Jiko offers wine options to suit your style.
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I had dinner here a few months ago, and it was so amazing that I can't believe it took me so long to review. The food was some of the best I've ever had. I ordered the Jiko salad, Inguday Tibs, and a flatbread with wild boar sausage. I'm not normally a big sausage fan but it was sooooo good. Everything was super fresh, had tons of flavor, and was cooked perfectly. The flavors were just so great-everything was perfectly balanced. The service was great too. The wait staff were very friendly and helpful. The wine selection is very impressive. This is definitely one of my favorite restaurants of all time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,813)

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Overall, our party of 8 were disappointed. The signature status of the menu was not accurate in my humble opinion. If greater effort was tested for actual flavor combinations rather than infusions, this restaurant could be tip top. Service was great, atmosphere good too but the entree menu needs softer spice blends, greater detail to initial taste bud reaction and duck meat not red-rare...even plate appearance was off-putting. Improvement needed with the sauce flavors. Good coffee and tea selections. Didn't try any desserts, went elsewhere.

1  Thank Deborah J
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This is one of Disney's 'signature dining' options, which they try to sell as a unique, very special experience. We enjoyed our meal here, but to be honest it really wasn't anything special and I simply cannot understand the hype.

My sister had a steak which was over $40...she described it as "nice but not $40 nice". I had a vegetarian durban curry...again enjoyable but nothing I haven't seen before and probably not worth the money. This is supposed to be a fine dining experience an yet they serve draught drinks...in a restaurant which is even semi formal, glass bottles of coke, sprite etc should be served, not cheap stuff from a tap.

Our waitress was very nice but I get the impression that the staff at Jiko are pushed too hard to act in a formal fashion. There was too much effort to create a formal experience and this came across as awkward and unnatural. She was very helpful and attentive though!!

On the plus side the decor is really lovely! It's also a good place to go if you want to get away from the usual Disney meals...it's easy to get sick of the sight of burgers, pizza, fries etc during a stay at Disney World!!

To conclude...there was nothing wrong with our meal at Jiko and if you like the look of the menu you should have dinner here. However don't expect to have the best meal of your life here...you will feel a bit disappointed if you get your hopes up too much!!

1  Thank CharryM
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We did the safari at the animal kingdom and the dinner at Jiko was included with the safari. This was amazing! There was 7 of us and we had the best dinner ever. The chef came out and explained each course, and wow was it the best food the I had in such a long time. My youngest son age 15 even tried everything, and he LOVED it all! They even included wine with dinner! The courses had some African flare, excellent! The whole experience was well worth it. Like I said we went to Jiko because we did the safari and dinner was included. On our next trip back to Disney I will be sure to make a visit to Jiko!

Reviewed 1 April 2012

One of the best meals I've ever had. The chef's specials were especially good. The atmosphere is fun and lively.