New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Orlando Metropolitan Resort

Orlando Metropolitan Resort
Ranked #314 of 333 Hotels in Orlando
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“BUGS, dirty,and bad service!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

This place does not offer continental breakfast or vouchers as it states, and when i confronted the front desk about this they had no idea what i was talking about, even though i had proof printed from their website. They offered no apology or reimbursement. We had to wait an hour to get checked in. Two of our three rooms had bugs in the beds. One room had a broken fridge and air conditioner. Also, the were getting the keys mixed up with different rooms. Someone had entered our friends room while they were in it. Not apeeny has been put into the upkeep of this place. It is old, dusty and dirty. The mat in my shower looked like it wasnt taken out to be cleaned since 1985. This place doesnt care once they have your money. No apologies or reimbursement was made. Just rudeness from the front desk. Not worth saving a couple bucks. I was afraid i was going to bring home bedbugs. And pay no attention to the photo, that probably was taken in 1985.

2 Thank Andrea B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

I am shocked that this hotel could receive ratings between 2.5 and 3. The room was dirty, dripping tub all night, broken chair that when I sat in fell over, electrical wiring from the airconditioner exposed on the floor, looked like mold growing out of airconditioner, elevator lights not working, hallway to room garbage can overflowing, bathroom door, falling apart. Be ready for credit card fraud. They take an imprint of your card and put it in a shoe box on the counter that any could reach over and take. One Star!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank 668Willamb

Travellers are raving about these Orlando hotels

Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

This place is nice and clean. It has free parking in front of the room, free WiFi, free tennis courts, a pool area and its location right on international drive which is great!
The prices are pretty amazing for what you get.

Honestly I dont understand all these bad ratings...maybe the hotel changed since they saw the ratings but i have to say its worth to stay for a short period of time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank schumpi
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

You get exactly what you pay for here. We got the room at an extremely good price and yes, the rooms were basic, but they were clean. If you are planning on doing all the theme parks etc this place is ideal as it is centrally located and to be honest, you will not spend too much time in your room anyway!
The pool could be cleaner but again it was ok.
Staff were friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank MarieJM84
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

Did the holidays with the family in Orlando. Purpose was to enjoy the parks. Didn't need a hotel with lots of fluff at a high price. Found it. Metroplitan was reasonably priced and comfortable with a friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank Marjorie S
Fort Lauderdale
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

The place was aceptable if you are concern about your budget this is the place to be. Comfortable. there is definetly room for improvement they need to work on their cleanliness a little. My experience was not bad at all of course for the price it was aceptable. i went there to visit with family and I took a room near theirs so like I said it was aceptable. Their safety was reassuring.

Room Tip: If your budget is low this is the place to be. Its also very safe.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank james v
Summerville, SC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

Housekeeping disastrous!
Room undesirable.
Constant disruptions all night.
No wi-fi or cell reception in room.

I wish I had read previous reviews before booking. We were in town for three nights & four days for the Capital One Bowl held Jan 2, 2012, as well as a two-day trip to Universal. When we arrived to this "resort" I should have known to cut our losses and go next door to the Radisson or Marriott because there were several people sitting on the floor of the lobby giving it the appearance of a bus station than a resort. We checked in with ease by the very nice and generous clerks but had to wait for them to sort out their dinner delivery order before being helped. Yes, we all have to eat, but as customer, I wished to be a higher priority than their sandwiches.

We opened our room and our young son noticed a half-full water bottle and change on the AC unit. The only hint the room had been cleaned was the overpowering smell of room deodorizer. We reluctantly brought in our bags and decided to freshen up before going to dinner since we had driven seven hours. We had towels and hand towels but no wash cloths, soap, shampoo, or conditioner. There was also a light bulb out in the bathroom. I went to the front desk to get a lightbulb, wash linens, nd soaps. The desk clerk was very apologetic and gave me soaps and linens and then emptied their dinner delivery bag and put everything in that so I could carry it back. I was too appalled to even say anything and I am not a "nice nasty" person who is offended easily. I overheard a couple at the desk saying someone was already in the room they had just checked in. They looked as travel weary as I.

I resolved to chalk the mishaps up to a busy evening with two bowl games in town and it being the weekend of New Years. He promised to send someone "right away" to change the bulb; this was roughly 8:30pm. At 11:15pm someone knocked on the door and asked if we were the ones with the burned out light. We had just gotten in bed but had not been able to sleep since the guests next door had several children running up and down the walk and screaming. It sounded like a carnival was in town. Needless to say, this ruckus did not stop until well into the morning so there was no sleep going on in our room. Of the three nights of our stay, we only slept one of those and it was a combination of exhaustion and Benadryl, for fear the next door guests' children would be playing again. The last night sounded like a construction crew was driving steel beams. Loud bangs and drilling did not lend to a restful night.

I planned to do some work on the laptop and since the hotel didn't offer wi-fi in guest rooms, I brought our wi-fi hot spot. This would have been a great idea but there was no cell reception in the room so even with the hot spot in the window there was no signal. This cut us off from any other friends we had intentions to meet because we could not communicate with them while in the room. This was an inconvenience but one I was able to overlook since the facilities were so old it would probably require major renovations to compete with other more advanced hotels.

The AC was the most inefficient in any room I have ever stayed. It was comfortable while it was on but the second the "auto" kicked in and the air stopped, the room was warm and muggy.

We knew we would not be spending much time in the room so left for our first day at Universal. We had a blast and returned to a clean room with plenty of linens. Things were looking much better.

The next day was New Years Day and we headed back to Universal. We stayed all day and closed the park knowing it would be a while before we would have another vacation like this. When we returned to the hotel around 11:30pm, we walked into the room exactly the way we left it. I was not as bothered by the unmade beds as I was the absence of any clean bath linens and soaps. Thinking it was a mistake and somehow our room was missed, I returned to the front desk to let them know. I was shocked when I was told there was no housekeeping or maintenance that day because it was New Years Day and crews were off that day. I found this hard to believe since I knew they must have had people check out and more guests arrive that day. He also said he could give me the linens I needed but they were all out of soap, shampoo, & conditioner.

This was the last straw. I don't typically complain or write negative reviews because I know we all have good days and bad days and I like to find the positive qualities. I found none at this hotel. How it can even remotely be considered a resort is beyond me; other than it wants a reason to charge a resort fee. This place was a waste of money and a very unclean, out-dated facility. If I owned this establishment, I would want to know the opinion of my patrons on a one-on-one basis before seeing it on a public forum. I searched the site and found no information relevant to my needs. Hopefully, others will be warned and can book a nicer hotel at the same price or lower. The area is extremely convenient and there are many other hotels to choose from. I did not choose wisely, I hope others will.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel and NOT a room at this establishment.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles