“A bit grotty, but well located”

Travelodge Orlando Downtown Centroplex
Ranked #305 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
London, United Kingdom
“A bit grotty, but well located”
Reviewed 26 October 2011

The non-smoking room I booked reeked of smoke so I notified the desk of this. They had no other rooms so I said I would stay but didn't want to be fined for 'smoking'.

It's well located for downtown (10-15 minutes walk to pubs and clubs).

Beware the one way streets and level crossings that surround the area, it took me a while to get onsite and I went the wrong way down a few streets to do so...

There is a small carpark out front and a bigger one in the back, but again watch out for the one-ways.

Room was reasonably clean. TV was very static-y.

There is no breakfast, you can use your key to get 10% off at the diner next door but that place made me feel ill... it wasn't very nice.

Room Tip: Arrive with no expectations and you'll get better than a motel.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Saint John, New Brunswick
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I had booked 2 nights at this Travelodge due to it's location and low price. I only stayed 1 night, and left to stay elsewhere the second night. The room was overall very rundown, and the shower was a laughable disaster. I regret not taking any photos, but it was in such bad shape it had to be seen to be believed. Holes in the walls, taps and faucets in awful shape, years of grime buildup on walls and floor.. and cracks in the shower floor as well.

All this being said, I am not a picky traveller.. I would have made it work for the second night, but the WiFi wouldn't stay connected more than 2 minutes at a time, and when it was connected, it was very, very slow. The front desk had no interest in helping me with the issue (reboot the router, change my room closer to the router), instead she made it sound like it was my error that the connection was poor. I needed the internet on this trip, so I cancelled my second night and moved elsewhere.

Downtown is very close, and there's also a 7-11 within a very short drive, or about a 3 minute walk. Those are plus sides, but neither have anything to do with the hotel itself.

To sum up my review, the hotel was NOT terrible, but it was rundown and overall the rooms are not well maintained. If you are only looking for a place to sleep at night, then it would be acceptable. But I don't recommend their internet connection, nor do I recommend friendliness of the staff.

Room Tip: If you want Wifi, be sure to ask at checkin for a room close to the router. I could not get a room c...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Orlando hotels

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I met my father in Orlando and he had booked this hotel as he was running out the door to the airport because it was cheap. Well, even my frugal (retired) father decided that it was not worth it and we moved to a different hotel after one night. My father commented that it was so bad that he wouldn't stay here again if it was free.

The place is just dingy. It appears to be about two decades overdue for a remodel. Unfortunately, the low price and location (it is directly across the street from the county court house) tend to attract some questionable characters as well. I would have been very uncomfortable if my wife had been staying at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
Hallandale Beach, Florida
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Pros:
Price
Comfortable beds
Large bathroom
Balcony
Service staff

Cons:
Lack of electrical outlets
Thin walls
Restaurants slip ads under door
No mini fridge

I'll be honest, the reason we chose this hotel was because it was the cheapest we could find in Orlando and we had 3 months to research it. $66 per night including tax was an excellent deal. My sister and I came to Orlando to see the New Kids on the Block / Backstreet Boys concert and were going to visit Islands of Adventure while we were in town.

We got a two queen sized bed, non-smoking room. We were surprised to find that we had a balcony. The beds were ultra comfortable which were helpful after our 5-hour journey to get to Orlando. We realized immediately when we went to try to charge our cell phones that our room was shockingly devoid of power outlets. Thankfully we found a couple so all was good but they really should have more outlets in the rooms since people are obviously traveling and most likely are carrying a lot of electronics.

The best part of our hotel stay was the woman who is at the front desk in the evenings and mornings. She was the most helpful person we encountered during our trip and was very friendly. She made our stay that much more pleasant.

The only real complaint we had was the thin walls. We were woken up a couple times by voices in the hallway and activity in the room next to ours. This would not keep us from staying here again because we definitely will if we ever find ourselves in Orlando again.

Room Tip: Even if you smoke, ask for a non-smoking room as they all have balconies.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Cochran, GA
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We didn't even make it to our rooms before deciding to stay somewhere else. The staff were not courteous at all. I had my husband's credit card but not his ID (he was not with us). They would not let him simply fax a copy of his ID but insisted they must have him a form to fill out. Since we cannot receive a fax at home, this was a problem... they didn't even try to help. I had to use another card I did not want to use.
While on the way I called to confirm our reservation. The desk clerk was very curt, almost rude. Two hours later he called me to ask if I still intended to come... sounding almost accusatory. Then he told me the card I'd used to make the reservation had expired. I was in a gas station at the time so did not want to read out my card number there... rather than being understanding or courteous, he told me in an impatient and annoyed tone that if I wanted to stay he would need another card number right then or he would not hold my room.
When we did get there, there was no place to park, and there were people hanging around cars in the parking lot... at 1AM. It all felt weird to me, and we left. I would not have been comfortable staying there.

• Stayed May 2011
Manchester
Reviewed 14 May 2011

Wasn't expecting much but was still disappointed! The best thing I can say about this place is that it's cheap and you can walk to the main downtown area in about 15mins.

Waited for ages to be served at reception and when someone did finally turn up they weren't very polite or welcoming, got the feeling they wanted to be anywhere but there (a feeling I began to share shortly afterwards). Walked into the first room and could hear gushing water. Turned out the shower was broken and constantly spurted water. Went downstairs and explained the problem, asked to swap rooms. The attendant was not at all apologetic, didn't think they had any other rooms and demanded to know if I had touched anything in the room that would mean the maid would have to be sent back in to clean it for the next guest!

Eventually gave me a smaller room (no refund) which I stupidly just settled for as I couldn't afford to go to another hotel. The air con unit in here was in pieces on the floor (though still seemed to be working fortunately), lightbulbs were missing and there was a piece of cooked tomato squashed into the carpet. Checked the sheets and wished I hadn't, definitely didn't look like they had been washed. Towels, though clean, were old, worn and stained. Basically I didn't want to touch anything as it seemed so grubby!

Have stayed in lots of different places including hostels, always at the cheap end of the scale so am used to roughing it a bit however I think there is a basic standard of cleanliness/sanitation that needs to be met and this Travelodge doesn't even come close. Stay here again? Hell no.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank roxyheartsus
Key West, Conch Republic
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I booked this motel because of its proximity to my meetings (1 mile) and the price.

I arrived early and was easily accommodated. My room was immaculately clean and well laid-out. The bathroom was older and small, but more than adequate; the shower head was newer and coupled with outstanding water pressure provided a delightful shower experience. And the layout of the shower meant no spray-over into the rest of the room.

The large TV with surround-sound had a good variety of channel and an amazingly good picture. The WIFI was adequate but on the slow end, and I suspect the system had limited bandwidth.

The bed was not too soft, not too hard, but just right, and had ample pillows of varying comfort levels.

The only downside was one loud conversation middle-night from somewhere near my room -- but otherwise the soundproofing was excellent. The picture window offered both an beautiful view and light-blocking drapes.

I worried about the area before I arrived, but always felt safe and sound. While the courthouse area is busier in the day than the night, the nightlife areas of Orlando are less than a mile away.

Would I stay here again -- you bet!

O, and did I mention that I booked this prepaid at $41 a night + tax, compared with over $100 for other accommodations in the general area.

Room Tip: 2nd floor, rooms 215-220
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business