“Descent Place, Great Location”

Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel
Ranked #113 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel during Allstar weekend Feb 24th - Feb 26th 2012, and I enjoyed my stay even thought I was barely in my room as I was out shopping, hanging out, and partying.

This is no fancy luxury 5 star hotel, but it is also not a dirty roach motel either. The hallways were a little worn down looking, but my room was clean. The room was a little on the small side but it was clean had a nice flat screen TV with basic cable, a mini fridge & freezer, a iron, and a comfy bed. I did not like that fact that they do not provide complementary breakfast. The hotel is in a great location right across the street from Wet and Wild, Universal Studios, and City Walk. The Outlets, Florida Mall, and Millelia Mall is only about 5 miles away. There are also a bunch of restaurants, fast foods places, gas stations, and 2 WalMarts by the hotel, so I did not have to travel far at all during my stay at the hotel. Even thought I did not use none of the hotel's accommodations, it does have a tennis court, pool, bar & restaurant.
If you are a upscale, fancy boojie person then you probally won't like this hotel, but if you are just looking for a inexpensive descent clean room then this is the place for you. I definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
GMatBWOrlandoGateway, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

I want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. Your comments are certainly appreciated and I will pass them on to our staff. You are right, we are not a 5 star property but we do pride ourselves in providing, clean, comfortable and affordable accommodations right in the heart of all that Central Florida has to offer.

Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Within walking distance to parks, however, we drove. Room was very clean housekeeping was great you only knew they were in your room because the bed was made and you had clean linens. Buffet was average (nothing but carbs could have used a bit more fresh fruit).
There were 2 restaurants and a Walgreens located in the same parking lot, everything was within a few steps. Front desk was very friendly when cheking in and out. We will be staying again soon!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your commetns, I will ceratinly pass them on to our staff!

I am gald that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 27 March 2012

i was very surprised at how nice the hotel was because when i checked in the lobby was very noisey so thought i wouldn't enjoy my room i couldn't hear anything in the room on the tv it tells you beware of pizza places that delievers to your room that's because they sell pizza there a no soda vending machines you have to go to there store, so expect to pay $3 dallors a bottle and if they are closed oh well. go to the walgreen's around the corner. i liked the room but when you come out it's another world the staff was very friendly i will stay there again the rooms has microwaves and fridges.

Room Tip: ask for first floor trust me
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your room and that you will stay with us on your next trip to Orlando.

Just to let you know, we do have vending machines on each floor they are centrally located next to the "14" rooms on each floor. The price for a 20 oz soda is $2.50 which is that same as you would pay in Shades Deli which is located in the lobby.

Again, thanks for your comments and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We had stayed here a few years ago when it was The Clarion and it was awful, the only thing which has changed is the name. The lobby is bright and clean but when you get onto the corridors it is dark and shabby and really needs re-painting and new carpet. The room was pretty basic but the bathroom had gaps in the floor tiling which meant it was constantly dirty. There was never any hot water for the shower, and when I told them at the front desk I was told I was showering 'at the wrong time of the day' (I did try at 4am but still no hot water and despite comp). The TV had been messed with and so 3 channels were the same, not that there was much choice anyway. The hotel was noisy, there was someone in the basketball court at 10.30pm constantly banging with a ball every night we were there (14 nights) and despite complaining to the front desk nothing was done about it. I also complained twice about a nasty sticky black patch on the carpet near the bed and nothing was done about that. Will not stay here again

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Sarah F

I want to apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our bathroom tile project that has been started will alleviate the issue you had with your bathroom. I will be honest and say that we ceratinly had an issue with hot water last month and we have replaced two boilers and added circuit setter valves on each floor which controls the returning flow of the hotel water and the problem seems to have been rectified.

I appreciate that fact that you have stayed with us previously and I certainly hope that you will give us the opportunity of regaining your trust in our product in the future.

Genral Manager

Reviewed 23 March 2012

I booked a room here while my family and I were going to Disney. I chose the best western plus as opposed to the standard best western a couple of milesmdown the road, thinking to get a better hotel. At first look, it is a nice hotel. The lobby is nice. We had a room on the top floor. Elevator is super quick. Pleasantly suprised by that. After first stepping off of the elevator though, you immediately notice the difference in the quality of the appearance. Hallways are not nearly as nice as the lobby area. Like a different hotel. got into our room and was happy to see we had been switched to a double room instead of the king that we had to book due to limited availability. That was much appreciated. However, it only went downhill from there. On the way there, one of my kids started getting the stomach flu. first thing apon getting in the room, my husband said something was wrong with the toilet. I checked and it seemed to just drain slow. but fter taking a shower and the drain in there not draining, the toilet started not drain at all when flushed also. The next day, I called and let the front desk know I was having major problems with the bathroom. They were very rushed on the phone and said they would call back. I waited 20 min and called back. When they answered, they started with the standard greeting and then stopped when noticing my room obviously and just said, oh has anyone been there yet? I said no could I please just get a plunger. Ok, someone will be up. Another 30 min, nothing. I call back. Finally get a plunger sent. It does nothing for the water flow. Promise, we are not filling toilet with tons of paper either! Ok, so I call back and say it's not helping, is it possible to move. Told they would call back when rooms were clean. This was at 5pm. 30 min...no calls. I call again. Finally I have to leave for dinner and go by the desk and say just forget it. We will keep the plunger and they can deal with whatever happens. Throughout the whole thing, everyone was just so rude and rushed like they had much better things to do. For the price of the room, I was not happy with a $10 breakfast. You can go to golden corrall up the road for that price and get 10 times the food. My dad stayed at the best western on i drive and for half the price, they had a great breakfast. The beds in the room were very small. Most hotels now have 2 queens and these were doubles I believe. Not enough room for my husband and I. I have serious back problems and need a lot of pillows and that was not possible in these beds. The bar was nice and the karaoke guy was very cool. I received a bogo free drink coupon for my diamond status and that was appreciated. But overall, I was very disappointed in this hotel and would rather stay on I drive next time. As a diamond member, I obviously stay a lot and this should not necessarily be a plus hotel. As a standard best western, it would be expected. Still not the breakfast though. That's just ridiculous. $6 would get you coffee and a piece of bread and that's it. Insane there. I wasn't there for just a hotel, so it served it's purpose anyway. Didn't notice any mold problems and the rest of the room was fine. Clean and had a good view.

Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank Heather C

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As a Diamond Best Western Member I ceratinly appreciate that you stay with our chain on a regular basis. I do want to apologize for the inconveniences you had with the plumbing. There can be no excuse as to why we did not fix your problem when it occurred and that you had to make more than one call to the desk. I will be passing this information on to our management staff so that we can get whatever issue we seemed to be having regarding communication fixed.

I do appreciate your comments regarding the cleanliness of the room and that you enjoyed the view. Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I certainly hope that we do get to see you in the future.

i cer

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Within walking distance of both parks, free shuttles (not a lot, but free), clean room, breakfast buffet for 10$, I must say it was a pretty good deal. Got 4 nights for 50$ each through Hotwire and was not disappointed. There's a Walgreen nearby where you can get ANYTHING you need, and also a IHOP and a Red Lobster. After an evening at CityWalk, it will cost you around 6 $ to get to the hotel with a taxi cab.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Khalie
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Please consider the reviews about mold if you have allergies. Our room has mold. It was from a leaky valve beneath the sink. Apparently the leak has been fixed, but the mold is still there. If management cared to, they could simply wipe the area with a piece of cotton soaked in bleak every day for a week. To keep it away, they could mix bleack and water, put it in a spray bottle, and spray the affected area every day.

Watch your step when you enter the room. Local pizza places will slide their flyers bebeath the door, and if you are not careful, you will slip on them. I managed to not fall.

The free shuttle is awesome. The eleven dollar breakfast is adequate.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank justteach
GMatBWOrlandoGateway, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I have sent you a message asking for information regarding the room you stayed in so that we can get the mold issue in your room taken care of. I have allergies as well and definatley want to get that problem cured.

Thank you so much for your feedback, we do take what our guests say about us seriously and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.