“hope you enjoyed your service, now get out”

Mandara Spa at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel
Ranked #28 of 84 Spas & Wellness in Orlando
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover Mandara Spa at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando®, a 13,000 square foot sanctuary located by the Piazza Ponte between the Beach and Villa pool. Rooted in the Balinese tradition for the healing arts and combining this rich knowledge and spirit of generosity with European techniques, Mandara’s spa therapies offer each guest luxuriously-healing experiences: signature massages, award-winning facials, indulgent body treatments, the latest in hair, nail care, and waxing. Retreat in a haven that harbors 14 treatment rooms, co-ed lounge, co-ed hydropool, separate men's and women's sauna and steam rooms, a full-service salon, and Fitness Center. Let us send you to a place where calm and serenity exist every moment.
Reviewed August 10, 2017

Called the spa while on or way to Portofino for a relaxing couple of days.....made the reservation after asking what I thought were the right questions. At the end the lady on the phone said that part of the spa is closed for renovation, so they were giving $30 off the services we booked.

we booked services for 6:30pm, and were up sold to the 75 minutes service.

note to staff....if you close at 8pm, might not be a smart thing to have a service end at 7.45...but then again, when the spa is under renovation, it really means THEY HAVE AN OLD SHOWER WITH NO HOT WATER AND A COED WHIRLPOOL WITH LUKE WARM WATER....why would anyone want to stay. when I got back to the locker room, most of the lights were off and no attendant in site....and were told by a spa person that they will be closing up in a few minutes, so the voice trailed off after I gave them a look.

and adding a 20% service charge....not cool....

so I spent $456 on this relaxing few hours....I recommend that people avoid this place at all costs....even after the "ongoing renovation" ....if that will ever end....

and don't bother asking to speak to someone at the spa about anything...that was futile too

2  Thank davidpQ6964PK
Brenda M, Marketing Coordinator at Mandara Spa at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2017

Hi davidpQ6964PK,

Thank you for sharing your bliss spa experience.We are so sorry to hear about your less than satisfactory experience. I have passed this message along to our spa director, Bill Toth. If he has not done so already, he will be reaching out to you.

We hope you can afford us another opportunity to bring you the relaxation you deserve.

Namaste,

Reviewed June 22, 2017

You can get a massage here but nothing else. They took a perfectly good spa years ago and tore everything out. If you see previous reviews you can see they said it would be completed Feb 2017, but it is still not close to be being done, it is always 6 months away. And no one told me it was not completed but they didn't have to, I knew better. I have been coming for years but I give up, time to find a new place.

2  Thank Michael R
Brenda M, Marketing Coordinator at Mandara Spa at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2017

Hi Michael,

Thank you for sharing your Mandara Spa experience.

I’m sorry to hear about your less than satisfactory experience and wish to extend our apologies. At Mandara, we strive to help immerse yourself in a Mandara moment and escape to a temple of relaxation and would like to see if there is anything we can do to make this up to you in the future

We would love to invite you back once the renovations are complete. Your feedback is invaluable and will assist us in our continued growth and development. Our Spa Director Bill Toth is interested in speaking to you should you wish to have a conversation with him. He can be reached at (407) 503-1244.

We hope you afford us the opportunity to bring you the relaxation you deserve.

Namaste

Reviewed June 9, 2017 via mobile

So my boyfriend and I booked a getaway to Orlando Fl, and stayed at the portofino bay hotel. We decided to go to the spa even though it was under construction and many amenities were not working. We both got scrubs and massages, facials and he received a pedicure. We spent over $800 on our services so I expected to get pampered. I told the spa in advance that we were celebrating our anniversary and wanted it to be special.

Once we got there we were sat down and told to sign the agreement to pay the charges for the day. Next we were taken to locker rooms with a small glass of champagne in our hands. After we changed we were immediately picked up for our services, so we were unable to even sip our champagne or even share a kiss or hug before leaving for the " couples services". We were supposed to have a couples massage but our beds were far away from each other. My massage therapist who gave me the "full body" scrub only scrubbed my hands, legs and back. No shoulders, stomach area, decollate, buttocks or inner thighs. She told me she doesn't touch buttocks areas during massage or scrub. The massage was ordinary. Nothing special. My boyfriend felt the same. His pedicure was mediocre. I had to ask the lady if she was going to cut his cuticles Bc it seemed she was rushing through the whole thing. His feet barely got wet for a $70 pedicure. Sad to say I'm very disappointed in the services I received at this spa. I only enjoyed the facial but even that was not explosive for $160 service. Money wasted.

1  Thank sunnybun26
Reviewed February 21, 2017

My spouse & I were both impressed by our massage therapists. Like many other reviewers, we were disappointed that the spa facilities were under renovation and I had to go back out to the front desk to find things since there were no locker room attendants around, but I look forward to trying out the facilities once the reno is finished.

Ultimately, we were there for the massage and we were more than satisfied by our therapists.

1  Thank cdngolfergal
Cristina S, Marketing Director at Mandara Spa at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2017

Thank you for visiting us and the great review.

At Mandara, we strive to help immerse yourself in a Mandara moment and escape to a temple of relaxation. We do apologize for the inconvenience our renovation may have caused. However, we are so excited for you to visit us once the newly renovated spa is open.

Namaste

See more reviews
Reviewed January 4, 2017 via mobile

We had excellent massages here, but I would echo recent reviews about the lack of any additional spa amenities currently or spa ambiance. The jacuzzi and steam room are under renovation (we were told about this in advance), and in general the lighting is dark and does have a basement-like feel. There is no outdoor space or light from the outside. While the shower area looks new and is very pretty, the water was lukewarm and so basically it was impossible to take a shower afterward. This means that in total, there was just one working sauna room. When I mentioned the lack of hot water, the concierge was apologetic (but not surprised) and did adjust the bill for the inconvenience. I did appreciate this gesture given that the prices of the services equal those of resorts in Hawaii. Perhaps the spa should consider offering a discount in advance to acknowledge their current limitations. The therapists are very skilled so if you only care about the service itself you should be fine, but I definitely wouldn't choose this spa for a special event.

4  Thank ardenp
Cristina S, Marketing Director at Mandara Spa at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2017

Thank you for sharing your Mandara Spa experience.

It is wonderful to hear you were pleased with your services and that the massages were excellent. We are very proud of our spa therapy team -- both massage therapists and estheticians as they are among Orlando's best.

We understand our renovations take away from the spa experience and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Our goal is to provide not only amazing services, but also exceptional facilities. To achieve this, we have been renovating the spa in phases. Once complete, the design will place each guest in a state of calm and peacefulness, soothing all the senses.

Because of the renovations, we have had issues with the water temperature at times, but can attest this is not the norm. Our staff addresses renovation issues once reported to minimize any disruption to the guest experience.

Your feedback is invaluable to us. Our Spa Director Bill Toth appreciates guest comments, especially during this time in which the spa is undergoing renovations, and would like to speak with you should you have the time. He may be reached at 407.503.1244.

We certainly hope to hear from you and look forward to the possibility of serving you during your next visit once our renovations are complete (scheduled for February 2017).

We wish you a healthful 2017.

Namaste.