“Not the hotels fault....”

Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Long Island
“Not the hotels fault....”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I would like to premise this review with the fact I do not like timeshare hotels. I generally stay in high end resorts, but we were given a special rate if we went to the timeshare presentation for 90 minutes and the rate was so low it was hard to refuse. I thought we were going to Palm Beach. This is NOT, it is Riviera Beach. I have stayed at the Ritz and Breakers and that area is lovely. So back to Ocean Pointe. The reception area is nothing great and the staff was more than courteous. The lady went out of her way to get us a room that was ready. Self parking is free. We booked a 2 bedroom and were in the Sailfish building which is newly renovated. Our view of the parking lot was atrocious. The rooms were spotless and well cleaned daily. The beach towels are in the room - you get 4. There is no luxury here. The bathroom was wood cabinets and a formica counter. The bedding was nice, down comforters and 3 pillows. The couch was so uncomfortable! When you sat on it the cushions just slide off and take you with it. Horrible when the point of getting a timeshare is usually for families who would probably use that space a lot. The pool is very nice and there are 2 hot tubs. There is also a great mini spray park for the kiddies, mini golf, horseshoes all free. Pizza Hut take out and a market. The tiki bar was ok as far as food but they make a stiff drink. You cannot see the beach at all from the pool area which is unfortunate because it is beautiful. You have to rent chairs from a company on the beach that is not affiliated with the Marriott. We negotiated a price for 4 days, 4 chairs $80. It then proceeded to rain for the next 3 days :( We did get a car service to take us to Worth Ave for dinner and then went to Clematis St., a very happening area. There is NOTHING to do on Singer Island.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bella2001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
Hudson, NH
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We visited this time share for spring break in late April 2012. It was a beautiful property, and very clean. The rooms were spacious, we were in a 2 bedroom lock out. We were only on the 2nd floor so we didn't have a view, but we hardly spent anytime in the room so it is not a big deal. We traveled with small kids (9, 6 & 3), and found this resort to have a great kids club. There was always something to do and you could leave the kids or stay with them and help with the project of the day. They also had afternoon pool games, for some added fun to break up the day. There is not a lot to do in the area, aside from beach/pool. The hotel has a lunch spot as well as a pizza hut express on site. The food at both places was good, but catered to mostly lunch crowds. I would have liked a breakfast/dinner option as well. There are a few restaurants a walk away but with 3 kids, I was looking for more convenience. The grills are a great option but on vacation, who wants to cook every night? This resort caters more to an older crowd, in my opinion. There were a lot of extended families, where the units can be very accomodating. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a night life atmosphere. Very early in the morning the pools were crowded, but by 2pm, it was easy to find chairs. We were in the pool/hot tub every night around 730pm and there was hardly anyone around. I would recommend the Kingfish pool area. It is zero entry and great for little ones, plus it was NEVER crowded at any time of the day. It is a short walk but worth it in my opinion. We stayed in the Pompano building, which was close to all activites. I would recommend this hotel for a quiet, relaxing stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank laceylulu122
LongIsland
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We just returned from our 10th fabulous trip over 11 years. This is the first year that there werent many new additions (at least not that affected us. There is a new teen room). Thus, I am not going to write a long review. You can look at my old ones.

There is a new photographer that takes beach portraits. She was fabulous and brings her husband when she knows you have kids. He wiggles an Elmo doll above your head. My baby was in love! Picture night is always fun for us. We stay on the beach and watch the sunset then eat at the bar and listen to awesome live music

The menu at the bar is still limiting but they added a few new apps and also fish tacos. They also have a special the two nights there is live music

People get so angry that the menu is limiting. It's vacation. Don't swear the small stuff! The reason is that when marriot was negotiating with the town to build, they agreed not to take away business from local restaurants. Fair. And good because Johnny longboats at the corner is great. There's also a new mexi place that we didn't try as well as a pizza/Italian place that had a nice menu. But I digres. The marriot is always experimenting with new ways to feed you. This year they added a BBQ buffet night under the pavillion. It was supposed to be followed by line dancing which never happened and that was a disappointment. On that note I will say that the activities room and schedule has gotten much lighter and things sometimes didnt happen but we still kept plenty busy!

This year we BBQd which is very social as at least three families were in the BBQ pit

• Stayed April 2012
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We are owners at the Marriott Waiohai and had our trip planned there for last September, but then we got an email notice that the pool would be closed for renovations for our time there. So we cancelled our reservation and flight, lost $100.00 due to canceling our Hawaii flight, and found ourselves needing to trade. I called Marriott and complained vociferously and all I got was a promise that we would get 100.00 Marriott gift certificate that never came. I thought we should get some help from them getting a trade, but that too never happened. I opted for Marco Island and gave about a six week window for March and April. When we bought at Waiohai, we were assured that we would have great trading power but alas, that is not true. We were called in the winter and told that since we could not get Marco Island, perhaps we should consider Ocean Pointe before it was too late. I think they want Marriott owners there so they can sell them their new resort in the area, Oceana Palms, which I have to say is beautiful. Before we even got there, they called to urge us to attend their sales pitch, but we refused.
When we drove there, we were disappointed in the area. It is just ok. The lobby is not pretty. There is a real dearth of restaurants, but we ended up liking the Sailfish Marina, which does offer a beautiful view, and Johnny Longboats. The only food at the Marriott is at the Tiki Bar, that does serve good drinks and bar food, and there is a Pizza Hut take out At least, there is a Starbucks at the Marketplace, but some of the rolls we bought there were stale. The villa had been renovated; the beds were comfortable, but the living room furniture was not. The pools and the spas though are beautiful, very large, clean, and warm. Every staff member there including service people you might meet in the elevators are unfailingly polite and cordial. We would recommend the boat ride and tour that leaves from the Sailfish, a trip to the Flagler house, a trip through the Everglades, and a visit and dinner at the Breakers in the real Palm Beach. It is the most beautiful hotel that I have ever seen and our dinner there was wonderful.
If I had to do it over, I would stay at the Kingfisher building, but I am not sure if these villas have been renovated yet. That building provides the only view of the ocean while you are at the pool. Hedges at the other pools prevent you from seeing the ocean. Apparently they need to do that to cut down on the wind. It is a shame because the beach is beautiful; unfortunately, it costs thirty dollars to rent a beach chair-a major rip off.

Room Tip: If you are not an owner, the best they will give you is the third floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Holtmeier
Westchester, NY
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Recent colorful renovations of hallways and furniture in units result in a significant improvement of this resort. A new Publix supermarket at the bridge to Singer Island makes shopping for provisions much more convenient. The only negative is the lack of hotel amenities on the beach and the limited restaurant options on the property.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
East Stroudsburg, PA
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The resort is well maintained, has polite and helpful staff and is beautifully appointed with clean and spacious rooms.
My wife and I had a 1Bedroom apartment in the Sailfish building with ocean views and also overlooking the pool.
There is hardly anything negative about the resort!
The beach never felt crowded, although the sand strip is not that wide. Whenever we passed by the pools there were available chairs.
However, we thought that having a car is a must, unless someone wants to walk to the somewhat limited dining choices.
This resort is great for someone looking for a peaceful, relaxing vacation. On the other hand the kids looked pretty busy and happy with various activities and games, but without being too loud or things getting out of control.

Room Tip: Try to request a higher floor room (above 4th floor), but keep in mind that these are normally assig...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sd2734
ontario
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Ocean Pointe never disappoints. My family have been returning to this resort for the last 5 years. The rooms are great, clean, with all the amenities of home. There are views of the ocean from every room and the pool and grounds are great for the whole family. With young children there is great security and lots of activities for the children, both ones that are free and that cost extra. The beach is very convenient to access and the marina on the other side is full of energy and activity.

We purchase these rentals from the Redweek site and have had nothing but great experiences. I have strongly recommended this resort to others in my immediate family and friends and everyone has been very impressed with this property. We always look forward to returning each March break.

This is not a property that a young couple would book, but for families with young children, or trips with extended family it is an excellent destination. The airport is only a 15 minute drive away, and only 45 minutes from Fort Lauderdale international.

I strongly recommend this resort for a relaxing family vacation.

Room Tip: Book through Redweek.com. If you have a family of 4 or more look to book a one bedroom with king an...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dpharm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Beach Shores
0.5 km away
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vac...
#2 of 4 in Palm Beach Shores
1.7 km away
Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa
1.5 km away
Hilton Singer Island Oceanfront/Palm Beaches Resort

Been to Marriott's Ocean Pointe? Share your experiences!