“An annual trip we look so forward to from the minute we leave. Home away from Home.”

Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Reviewed 24 February 2009

We go to MOP every year (for 8 years) and are absolutely in love with it. We have gone to about other Marriot time shares so we have a lot to compare it to. I went on Trip Advisor to see if there were any recent reviews because we knew this year there was a lot of construction going on. My jaw has been dropped open reading some of the reviews. So first I want to stress that this year there is major construction going on. The Ocean Mall which is walking distance, is being turned in to a beautiful, large plaza. When it was open, yes it was small but it was great. It had a fun, outdoor seafood restaurant with live music, an Italian restaurant (with pizza place), a healthfood/yogurt cafe, a bar (that was a little seedy), a 7-11, and I think a Subway. There may have also been an ices place. Of course it also had your token bathing suit souvenir shop.

Also, at least two of the hotels walking distance have restaurants. Because they are in hotels, you may not know it, but they are there.

Just a little bit further down the strip (long walk or very short drive) are more hotels with restaurants.

There is also a marina (Sailfish) walking distance. I love this place! The boats are beautiful, the jumping fish are fun, and there is a water taxi you can take to restaurants. On Thursday night they have a craft show which does get a little crowded but sells some food and has a water taxi to the downtown Palm Beach area (Clematis Street) which in itself has great night life and has a trolley to City Place. On Thursday nights they have a free outdoor concert and all the restaurants sell their food in the streets. The music is hit or miss. One week it could be a kid friendly show with givewaways. The next it could be heavy metal. Oh and the marina itself has a restaurant - it is pricey but you are paying for ambiance.

Same with the Bucaneer next door.

The restaurant at the hotel is lacking in its selection. But a few nights a week they have amazing live music. So it is worth it to listen even if you eat a hamburger two nights in a row. You can also bring over pizza or paninis/wraps from the onsite Pizza Hut.

The beauty of the time share (which it does not hide the fact that it is), is the home living feel. Some of the units only have kitchenettes. But if you get a full unit and go to the supermarket (Not far), it's great to cook dinner, let the kids go to sleep and eat while listening to the sound of the ocean.

There is also a bbq area. We used this for the first time last year and were shocked how many people used it for both lunch and dinner. It was fun being with all the families.

As for the no kids pool, I disagree strongly with the writer who felt this was wrong. There are 4 pools at the resort. Two are next to each other, one is at a far building. The fourth is designated as an adults only pool and is used for water aerobics from 9-11. WA attracts sooooooooooo many people. Sometimes you can't please every one and in this case, they please a lot of people. While this particular writer's son may be a very well behaved teen ager, there are many teen agers who listen to loud music and are simply not "adult friendly". They can't judge who is what. Having an adult friendly pool and hot tub area is not such a bad thing that this great resort deserves to be slammed for it. The two family area pools (Which we went to before kids as they have the live music, bar etc), are not rectangular lap pools but we do laps in them all the time.

This is not Fort Lauderdale. There are not tons of loud, open restaurants walking distance if that is what you are looking for. But there is never a dull moment at OP (ok, after 9pm there are). From "Dive In Movies", to every sport, a great playground, a beautiful beach, live music, kids activities and more, I strongly recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
8  Thank Zucker4ofus
There are newer reviews for Marriott's Ocean Pointe

Reviewed 8 February 2009

My husband and I got a great deal for this hotel as a no-pressure time share promotion. We were not looking for a time share so we were happy that it really was a short, no pressure sales pitch. The resort itself was nice, nothing spectacular. We were looking for a relaxing, inexpensive, long weekend, getaway, so it served its purpose for us.
The room we stayed in was a studio, a bit small but okay for 2 people. The room was clean, modern and we received complimentary maid service. The pool area itself was well kept with ample chairs. The sandwich shop was okay, could use a bit more options and the bar was cute. The area itself is a bit isolating, so unless you are have a time share with a kitchen, it makes dining a bit of a hassle. We were fine driving and going out do dinner each night, but it would have been nice to be able to walk somewhere to get food....We weren't impressed so I doubt we would ever come back. I would recommend it to families with young children if they get a good deal and are looking for a hotel with a pool!

Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kandr11
Reviewed 29 January 2009

Had occasion to check on a family memeber that lives on Singer Island/Palm Beach Shores. Her place was too small so I booked the MOP after reading a few reviews and its close proximity to my aunt. First, the area is safe, driving through Riveria to get there maybe questionable but that can't be helped. Marriott does its best, room in the Pompano was clean and updated. Beds are well appointed and comfortable. We needed to also use the pull out sleeper and the maid was very accomodating at getting us a 2nd down comforter with duvet for that bed.

Small counter area with coffee maker and complimentary coffee, had small refrig for our snacks. Ice machine on the first floor behind the elevators along with washer/dryers and snack machines. Bathroom was a nice size, water pressure, average. Hair dryer in bath, could have left mine home. No view to speak of, overlooked the top of the parking lot.

I agree with another reviewer that to get to the pool, one must navigate the parking lot, not so nice.

There are 4 pools on premise. This is where my issues begin. One is for toddlers, the next two are smaller and are up to 3 or 4 feet in depth. The larger pool, in which one can do laps, is restricted in the morning until water aerobics is done 9-11am. The desk put us at the Pompano knowing I had 12yr olds with me (twins) and said we could use that pool. My son, who is on a swim team needed to keep up his training. One of the guests, felt it was her right to tell me that "children are not allowed at this pool". I understand her not wanting diapered children in the pool but the other pools on premise would not have sufficed. My children were not jumping or splashing with the exception of doing their turns in the water which amounts to diddley.

The 2nd day, she bristled at our appearance to the pool and then she and her group managed to put towels on all available chairs as if that would chase me away. Needless to say her tatics did not work but it made for a most uncomfortable stay with the kids. As we were leaving a gentleman approached me to apologize for the way some at the pool were treating me. Though no one came to my aide, I would never recommend this place to anyone with tweens or young adults. If you have babies, you'll be fine in the kiddie pool. Can't say managment could do much about it either, since its a time share, they don't wish to offend the "owners" as opposed to someone who is just taking a room for two nights.

Marriott did its best, the other people staying there need to remember their manners!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2009

My husband and I were thoroughly disappointed in this "hotel" We booked the room on Marriott's website, but the property is actually a timeshare, so the rules and regulations involved were ridiculous. Just using the pool towels (which were nothing to wrtire home about) involved threats of penalties if any turned up missing at the end of the stay. Check -in was not until 4:00 and check-out was at 10:00, which is ridiculously early. When we asked for more time, we were told that this is a timesharae and those were the rulew. I did nbot book a time share, I booked a hotel room. Also, although the property is smoke-0free, we could not use our balcony one day because someone was smoking on a neighboring balcony. The next day, a worker was sanding a metal pole for three hours outside our room, so we could not use our balcony that day either. This continued depite our complaints. I might overlook some of the hotel's inadequacies if I was not paying $300.00 per night for the privilege of being treated poorly. I would NOT recommend this "hotel".

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank RWD749
Reviewed 20 December 2008

we traveled here with our 4 children. this is a great property for young kids(under 15). pools, all day activities, beach, tennis etc. the food situation, not great. very average food. outside the property is not so safe. recommend to buy food(grocery store/walgreens) during daytime hours otherwise there is a small store that has all the necessities on site. at night if you want to go out, you need to drive to west palm beach, nothing in local area. if you stay here, remember to bring shampoo, soap, laundry detergent etc(not like a hotel where they stock it for you). you can have maid service but for $85 per day. the resort itself is very safe, clean and full of activity(kids club is great and often have free activities for the kids). beach is filled with shells . accommodations are not fancy but clean and nice.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank gogo6
Reviewed 21 November 2008

My wife and I did an exchange of our timeshare to get this wonderful 2 bedroom unit at Marriott's Ocean Pointe. We were able to exchange the effeciency portion (lockout) for a 2 bedroom unit. Not a bad deal at all!

I have read some of the reviews that stated the people were uneasy about walking around the Ocean Pointe area. Bullfeathers! It is a decent, residential area with homes costing from $475,000 to close to $1 million. If you go over the Blue Heron Bridge and up to Hwy 1, you get into a lower class area but that is well over 2 miles away.

We really enjoyed driving up to Jupiter and visiting the Busch Wildlife Sanctuary (off Indiantown Road). It is a wildlife sanctuary with all kinds of Florida wildlife recuperating from injuries and hopefully will be released back to the wild. Some will not be released such as the 5 Florida panthers which were impounded from an illegal seller who had declawed them.

Great eating places included Bonefish, The Coolee Fish Bar, and of course, R.J. Gator's for 24 hour 2 for 1 drinks.

Go drift fishing on the Blue Heron for $40.

The staff at the Marriott is very friendly and helpful. Everyone greets you with a Good Morning or Good Afternoon. The cleaning staff works hard.

The units are clean and updated. We were in the Pompano building with good views of the ocean and pool. The Kingfish building has views of the ocean and of the inlet.

The beach rentals are not handled by Marriott but by a private concession having nothing to do with Marriott. Take your own beach chairs from home or buy some cheap ones at the Publix.

Go for walks around the area down to the inlet, up along the walkway by the inlet, and through the Palm Beach Gardens walkway with the beautiful trees and plants.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
7  Thank Tbugs
Reviewed 17 November 2008

Just stayed at this resort. It was better than expected after reading other reviews. It was very clean, and well kept up.
The room we stayed was very small (Pompano) but had a
side view of the ocean. We ate at Eddie and Max which was
very good (great wine list!!)
Also I would recommend the Sailfish Marina - we walked
over for lunch..... warning the area getting to Singer Island
is somewhat scarey.

Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank Regi50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Beach Shores
0.5 km away
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vac...
#2 of 5 in Palm Beach Shores
7.0 km away
The Breakers
The Breakers
#2 of 10 in Palm Beach

Been to Marriott's Ocean Pointe? Share your experiences!