“Good room, good service”

Days Inn Panama City
Ranked #31 of 31 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Stayed here one night while traveling to/from birding locations. It was Spring Break time and was a bit worried about the partying at Panama City lodging. But picked this one based on other reviews. The desk clerk treated us like royalty; she was concerned that we more mature folks might be bothered by the Spring Breakers so she put us in a suite next to the desk and tried her best to keep the young folks in more remote areas. It was a great room, probably the honeymoon suite, complete with spa. Desk clerk gave us name of a great seafood restaurant on the water to have dinner and watch the sunset. Room was in great shape; everything worked, and seemed quite clean. Couldn't have been more pleased and the price was a little less than several other similar quality motels. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ernieRedstone_CO

Reviewed 7 March 2011

Rooms are extremely inexpensive, but as it turns out, probably for a reason. My room was DIRTY...not just some dust here and there, I wiped some sort of dark grime off of the bathroom counter and there were several species of large dead bugs in the closet.
Layers of dust, food and even coins were under the wall unit heater/AC, this area could easily be reached with a vacuum cleaner. Staff was friendly, but as a previous poster indicated, inclined to "party" at their worksite. I recall one day being unable to get on the lone computer at the, um, "business center" because one of the workers was surfing the net while enjoying some beers. Not sure if she was still on the clock, but she was still in her Best Western smock so the appearance was disconcerting.
Breakfast was at least a day old, stale bagels, muffins, etc. Breakfast area was also dirty. While staying here, there couldn't have been 15 total people in the hotel, so it wasn't like the breakfast area was mobbed and staff could not keep up with table turnover, they just flat out didn't clean the breakfast area, ever.
Gym was in disrepair. The only positive was that the pool seemed to be well-maintained and was clean.
Location is okay if you want to be close to Target.
Overall this is not what I have come to expect from the BW brand.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DoctorP2011
Reviewed 1 March 2011

We travelled to visit family in the area, and were sadly disappointed with the service. We have routinely stayed with Best Western, and normally have exceptional stays.
The Positive: The hotel is clean and comfortable. The room was a suite, and my teenager said the pullout sofa was comfortable to sleep on, and the king size was comfortable for us as well.
The Negative: Breakfast was of low quality and the staff were very negative and grouchy. One evening as we returned to the hotel there was a group sitting outside the entrance and in the driving area drinking and being loud. This made my husband very uncomfortable and he didn't care for the looks that we were given as we went inside. Once we arrived inside we realized the front desk clerk was flirting with one of the men. When my husband asked if it was normal to have this kind of activity outside of the hotel, she responded with "well, we have a lot of workers staying with us right now." While I have no problem with people drinking and having fun, loitering outside of the entrance does not seem acceptable, and I was unsatisfied with that answer. To me, patron safety should be more important.
The parking is very limited at the hotel, although it doesn't seem there is much that can be done to correct that. The staff seem to be very disinterested in customer service.
The fitness room was out of order, and apparently was in no hurry to be repaired from what we gathered.

Overall, I doubt I will stay at this location again, when there are other less expensive places to stay if I don't care about service.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2011

I realize that most of the reviews here are negative, but they are also older, with the exception of the latest. I'm late posting this review (and several others) but in July 2010 my husband and I had a good experience here! Friendly staff, clean room, and believe me, I look in the corners!! For most of our travel purposes all we're looking for is a nice, clean place to sleep. I will admit we also bring along our own 4-cup coffeemaker and coffee, because that's just not something I want to leave to chance LOL (Tip: bring bottled water from home if this is important to you, too, because local water differences will affect the flavor of your morning cup.)
Whenever we check into a room I look at the bathroom, inside the refrigerator, inside any drawers and closets, and I pull down the bedsheets....I have even looked at mattresses if the bedding is suspicious. Yes, we mostly stay in Best Western hotels (my husband is in their Rewards program) but no, I am not affiliated with them otherwise!
This was our first overnight stop on our Getaway to the Gulf, and our room at the Best Western Suites was a pleasant surprise. (See photos.) Front desk staff members were friendly and helpful as we asked about "what's nearby?". They also gave us traffic advice the next morning (since we had heard on TV that the First Lady would visit that day!) as we left town to continue our trip west, exploring parts of the Florida Panhandle.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ExplorerAP
Reviewed 7 September 2010

unfortunately, we were disappointed for the first time by a Best Western stay. We have always booked w/ Best Western's, due to the quality, cleanliness and nightly rates of the rooms, which we have always been very pleased w/. For the first time, the experience at the Best Western in Panama City on 23rd St, was a terribly surprising and disappointing experience. We were in a smoke free room, which we assumed since our room was smoke free, that the floor should be smoke free as well, but as soon as we walked up the steps and entered the 2nd floor door's entry, we were overcome by the smell of smoke. When we called the front desk, all we were told is the room is smoke free but nothing else, and were given an attitude. Even when trying to overlook that, entering the room was another ordeal. The bathroom floor was dirty, all the grout lines were filled w/ dirt. We put a towel on the floor so we wouldn't have to step directly on the floor after showering, when the towel was dampened from our feet after getting out of the shower, the bottom of the towel was dark from the damp towel picking up the dirt on the floor, it was obvious the floor hadn't been mopped in a long time. When opening the sofa bed, we found a huge ball of red hair sitting right in it, which showed the bed hadn't been opened and checked prior to us going in the room, it was as if someone pulled a big chunk of hair out of somebody's head and closed it back up in the bed, and the sheets had red hair strands on them too, having to pick up that hair, w/ about 10 paper towels so I didn't touch it, was disgusting. The master bed sheets had hair on them as well, we called the front desk asking for more sheets, which we were going to just change ourselves, but was told they didn't have anymore sheets to send up. We ended up just buying inexpensive sheets from local Dollar General, just to cover the beds so we could sleep on them. Only two of the lamps in the room worked, and at that point, we didn't want to ask the front desk for anything b/c of the attitude we were given from the ladies. For the hot breakfast, when we went down to it, the "hot" food was cold, and we had to wait in line after making our plate, to microwave the food to eat, we weren't so much concerned w/ the taste of the food, but we did expect a "hot" breakfast to actually be hot when we arrived, and we not have to microwave it b/c it was sitting there cold in the chafers. We didn't want to ruin our trip and tried to make the most of it, but due to that experience, we are very skeptical about Best Western's now. We thought Best Western's were more reputable about the quality and cleanliness of their hotels, and in the past, have always been more than pleased w/ our experiences. But at this location, sadly our view of Best Western's has been changed.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jnola111
Reviewed 21 June 2009

The hotel and all it's areas were clean and comfortable. The three things I didn't care for were these: The reservation gave us a king, even though we were three, and reserved a room for such. The fitness center had only 2 bikes and a weight bench, but no weights. There were no guest laundry services, a must have in a beach communtiy setting. That said, I would still stay here again. It is a good location, less crowded, and the rooms are of generous size and are very clean.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2009

We stayed here for a couple of days during spring break. There were 4 of us including 2 teen-agers. I didn't want to stay on the beach because of the price and also because of the craziness that takes place during spring break. The hotel is only about a 10 minute drive to the beach so it wasn't that big of a deal. The hotel is in a nice area and is within walking distance of the Panama City Mall and several other businesses and restaurants. The rooms were nice. We had 2 queen beds and a small sitting area with a loveseat (that converted to a single bed), 2 chairs and a coffee table. There was also a nice size television that offered several channels including HBO. I did have to ask for a sheet and blanket for the pull-out bed, but that was not a major inconvenience. The mattresses and bedding were comfortable and the room and bathroom were clean. There was a nice size refrigerator but it didn't get very cold so we used our own cooler. The staff was very nice and extremely helpful. The pool area was nice, but small. The only complaint I had is with the noise. The rooms are in an inside corridor which is great for safety but lousy for noise. You could hear everything happening in the hallways and everytime somebody shut a door. I don't know what they could do to change that but it does get quite noisy, especially in the early morning hours. Overall I liked the hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family