“Just OK......” 3 of 5 bubbles

Splash Resort Condominiums
Lexington, Kentucky
“Just OK......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

We stayed at Splash during the first week of October 2011. It was our kids fall break from school. Our 2 BR condo was nice, it had a beautiful view of the ocean. we rented from a private owner on VRBO. Their price was MUCH more reasonable than the price quoted directly from the resort. We were there during the off season, and truly-- I would hate to be there during peak season. The pools and such were always packed, and no one is lying when they say they are not heated. They were freezing!! I would like to use the hot tub, but it was always jam packed full of kids and teen agers. Another couple hot tubs or some heated pools would help matters greatly. Also, I thought the water park part of the resort would be good for the whole family, but my older son (12) was way too old for it. I thought there was more slides, but it was the equivalent of a baby water park. Definitely NOT for older kids. My 7 yr old liked it though. We won't be returning here again, I think it's way over-hyped for the amount you have to pay to stay there. Also there is nothing in the area to do. You have to drive to get to restaurants and shops and everything else.

Room Tip: rent through VRBO, you will get a much better rate!!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank karen6021

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

Now don't get me wrong, I can definitely understand why some people had problems during peak season. But we stayed in October, during my childrens fall break, and we never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes for an elevator, rarely had to wait more than a minute, and when we left and arrived there were TONS of luggage racks right there on the parking deck. We checked in at 3:15, check-in was at 3, and still didn't have any problems.

I would definitely recommend booking through a private owner (vrbo), not through sterling as those reviews seemed to be the ones with Condo problems. We stayed in 707W...Didn't have to deal with the front desk, which is great as when I arrived, my key had gotten deactivated in the mail so I had to go to the desk...No one was there, another lady was waiting and hadn't been helped. I yelled down the hall, cause you could hear people talking, and then they came up to help the people waiting.

Since we had a private owned condo, it was nicely decorated and I don't have any complaints in that department. Our 'landlord' was excellent to deal with also. Everything about the actual room, was great.

The water was definitely COLD...We only were able to get in the pools for less than an hour a couple of the days...And only the water park for a few minutes one day...But it was also only in the upper 60's/low 70's when we went and very windy....They should definitely have a pool heated in October, no doubt. The hot tub was packed full. The pools didn't get cleaned daily.

I don't know if I'd stay there again because I plan to go back when it's guaranteed warm weather, and considering that would be peak season, I don't think I'd risk the crowds. We'll see.

Room Tip: Book through VRBO! West building is above the water park, East is above the lazy river...I'd pro...
1 Thank rachb84
Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

I don't know why the bad reviews! We did not have a single complaint about this resort. We stayed in unit 801W (rented through vrbo), and spent one week there during fall break. There were no problems with the elevators, and the pools were not too crowded. They did start a beach renourishment project the end of the week, but that was a FL thing and nothing to do with Splash. The kids did not play in the play area that much, but I can see why it is appealing to families. We will probably not stay at Splash again due to the fact of all the little kids everywhere. We are a couple and went with 2 couples that had kids. If you have kids and want to stay on the beautiful beaches of PCB, this is the place to go!

Room Tip: I would book through VRBO because you are going to get a much better deal! We saved hundreds of doll...
Columbus, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

My kids absolutely loved this place. My 5 year old would not get out of the lazy river. Game room was fun except some of the games were broke and took your money with no warning.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Richard G
Woodstock, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

We just returned from 4 nights at Splash. My 9 year old thoroughly enjoyed the pools, water park, and lazy river. Being late in summer, I was concerned that the pools would be too cold, but they were fine, and I usually prefer pool water a little on the warmer side. The beach was clean and the water gorgeous. The arcade was okay. One of the bowling "alleys" was out of order, but the other one worked okay. The DVD rental was disappointing. Of the 4 movies we rented, only one was watchable due to the condition of the discs. The room was great, very clean, although the master bath shower was slow to drain. The sky walk from the parking deck was pretty warm, but you're only walking through it for a minute, so not really a big deal. Going this late in the year does have its advantages at the hotel and all over town--nothing was crowded. Overall great trip.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Valrico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

We stayed at Splash (Sterling Resorts) in Panama City Beach around Sept 15- 20. . The resorts is loaded with kids and I understand that. I have 3 grandkids and they would love the place but for us who did not have kids there is nothing to do there for adults. Don't go if you don't have children 1-15. Our room was on the 12th floor with a beautiful view. Very nice furnishing and we were quite please. Who ever owns 1205 my complements to you on your room. It was very nice and was furnished with everything we needed and more. Our nightmare began the first night. Around 8:00pm our 1st night we noticed a large crack/hole in the ceiling (2 1/2' x 3 ") right above the couch. The drywall/paint was peeling away from the ceiling and a crack went almost the lenght of the room. We call the front desk to report it and they don't answer. They close at 6pm. So I called a number on the telephone and it was their sales office and she said she would email the front desk and they will get back to me tomorrow morning. The next day they sent someone up to our room to check it out.Not a maintance person but the guy from checkin. He said he didn't see a problem with it but they would move us. We decided to move. Well we made the mistake of not checking out the new room first. We loaded up everything and hauled it up to the new room and it wasn't near as nice as the other room,. I guess you can go to the thrift store to furnish your condo. Anyway we went back to the room with the crack. That night the sliding glass door on the the balconly was getting stuck. We called the front desk and low and behold no answer. Call the the number I called the night before and they said the would send someone up. We went to dinner and came back and the door was shut. Ok they fixed it. NOT.. We opened the door and then could not get it closed. Left it opened all night and called the front desk in the morning. A very nice girl helped us and moved us to another room.( Checked it out first). Left the next morning. Writing this just so you will be aware the each room is furnished by the owner. You may have a room furnished with Ethan Allen or Big Lots. Also we found the employees of Sterling Resort were rude and unhelpful. Splash employees were the most helpful. Lots to do for kids but nothing for adults..

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drumrunrer
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

Let me 1st say our stay was wonderful!!! We had a 1bd w/twin bunk condo in the West Tower and yes, we rented through Sterling not a private owner and really had a wonderful experience. Our family was on summer vacation (we live in LA and school for most of them doesn't start til after Labor Day) so we basically avoided the summer rush. We arrived on a Tues 8/30/11 @ 11:00p, our info and keys were placed in a lock box by the courtesy of the reception staff even though we weren't scheduled to chk-in til Wed (This is the Wed before Labor Day weekend and the pending Hurricane)- No problem. As for friendliness, we found them to be very helpful and cordial when we asked them questions or advice. Not sure what some previous guests where looking for, hand kissing may be?

We gather our belongings from the car and get a luggage cart, which there were plenty of them. We then walk through a nicely decorated lobby onto the sky bridge. Yes, the sky bridge air-conditioning was still down, but there were fans nicely placed in the bridge. Yes, it was hot, but its FLORIDA in AUGUST dang people get a grip! The walk wasn't that long OR that painful and they had many signs up apologizing for not having their air conditioning repaired. We get to the elevator and wait not even a minute for it to reach us. Walk to or condo, open the door and was pleasantly surprised. The unit was super clean, updated, roomy and well-stocked what more can you ask for. We put away our things and head to the pool because my daughter is now on pins and needles to get in there.

Once we arrive in the pool area (yes with our armbands) our daughter is filled with glee as she runs straight for the waterpark. She is almost 6yrs old and the dumping water bucket didn't frighten her at all and I'm sure that's because of her age. I must say that water was FREEZING! Now I don't exactly expect it to be Jacuzzi hot, but definitely not that cold. But our daughter didn't seem to mind one bit as she romped and played with the other children in there. I lay down to get some sun and everyone is happy.

Onto the pools there are 3 I could tell 1 by the waterpark, 1 in the East tower area, and 1 lazy river pool w/tubes. The pool closest to the waterpark was also FREEZING so we didn't stay in there for too long. Next, over to the other side (East bldg area) to the other pool. OK, not so bad, actually nicely tolerable. As we swim, play and relax we were not disturbed by any of the other squealing, splashing and noisy other children in the area. See that's what happens when you have children with you, you become a little more TOLERABLE. READ the resort information do you not expect kids to be there making noise???? DUH the resort is basically for people with families. If you don't want noise, possible "accidents" in pools DON'T GO cause kids will ALWAYS BE THERE. Or just try and be there when you know "most" kids are definitely in SCHOOL.

Next we head to the beach. OMG the Gulf Beaches are BEAUTIFUL!!! White powder sand and nice blue water. Yes, there was some algae, so um......Sterling controls that huh?? Yeah like most people can move mountains. Gimme a break. That beach is wonderful nothing like our beaches here in Cali. The sand feels like powder and just soothes your feet as you walk. There were plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas around. Very calm waves allowed folks to walk pretty far out from shore. My daughter played and made sand castles with other children, and then we enjoyed a magnificent sunset!!!

Later we visit Pier Park down the road. It was pretty typical for a pier area, lots of restaurants, shops, tourist trap stations, and rides for the children. It’s a nice place to grab some dinner and walk.

Later that night there was a Dive In movie over by the Lazy River, we watched "Despicable Me". They served smores, popcorn and hotdogs for $1. Do I really need to say my daughter loved that!

All in all I would say this place is great, you just have to know when to come i.e. OFF SEASON, if you can't then find somewhere else to go. I do not recommend anyone with small children and tweens going there for Spring Break or in dead summer (June- Early August). You can easily tell the entire area would become unbearable. There is basically a 2-lane road that goes a few miles past Pier Park and if there are a million scooters, cars and drunk young adults on the road it would be a mess! Splash itself I think can become easily overcrowded and unruly; if too many people where there and at the pools at one time ESP if the hotel is at capacity. I also think weekends would be a bit challenging for people doing short getaways.

There are many pictures that will come once uploaded!!

Room Tip: Be polite and clear, tell them what you want in terms of getting a upgraded unit. I really feel you...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family