“A little run down but great for the price!”

Beachcomber By The Sea
Ranked #10 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Clinton, Illinois
“A little run down but great for the price!”
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Hotel-The hotel is right on the beach and there were no crowds and we went in the middle of the summer. I was always able to get a parking spot at the hotel and never had to park across the street. That really would have been no big deal though because it really is just directly across the street. The free breakfast is pretty tiny and I was sick of it by the end of the week. All it had were bagels, muffins, and apples. The free shuffleboard was fun and the desk staff was friendly. They even taped up my wound for me when I cut myself with a paring knife. There is an awesome gift shop across the street where everything in there is only 1 dollar (necklaces, shells, shot glasses, shirts, etc.). We went there almost every day. The maids did clean our room everyday but my only complaint with them is that they never restocked anything the whole week. I constantly had to go to the desk for kleenexes, toilet paper, dish soap, towels etc. or I just took them from the maid cart myself. Our balcony was small but beautiful view. There was a room with 2 computers with internet so you can check emails, etc. but no printers hooked to them.

Pool-The pool was decent sized but got a little crowded at times. There is only one grill by the pool that takes charcoal so if that is your plan, you need to claim it. The hot tub was plenty hot the first three days we were there but there was only one jet that actually worked. The last three days, the hot tub would not heat up and was the same temperature as the pool.

Beach-It was awesome. There really were no crowds. Beach chairs cost money. The sand was white and felt like powdered sugar. The water was a little mossy but I come from Illinois lakes so that doesn't bother me. The first half of the trip, we had lots of sun and calm water but the last half was overcast and we had some big waves to body surf on. It was kind of nice to have the best of both worlds. It never really rained on us. We found some decent shells but nothing even close to what you see in Mexico.

Room-The room was fairly spacious and I was pleased for the amount of money I spent. The beds were not very comfortable and my wife and I always felt like we were rolling towards the middle. The sofa looked really uncomfortable but the kids didn't really complain so it must not have been too bad. Made great use of the kitchen area. It had a full fridge, stove, oven, microwave, toaster, and coffee pot. We only ate out one meal on the whole trip. Other than that, we used the kitchen. There is a Winn Dixie just across the street and a few doors down. You can see it from the hotel. DO NOT waste your time driving clear down to the Super Wal-Mart for groceries. It takes forever to get there and it is a madhouse. We did that first but then went to Winn Dixie for extras and it seemed just as cheap as Wal-Mart. If you do go to Wal-Mart or anything down that way, get off of Front Beach Road and drive back to Panama City Beach Parkway. Then head that way. Do that for there and back. It will save you tons of time. Anyways, we brought our crock pot and used that for almost every supper because it was something we could get going early in the day and just leave it go until we were ready for supper.

Shopping-Alvin's Island down by Shipwreck Island water park was HUGE and had many cool items and live alligators in the store. Also, you can not miss those everything is 99 cent stores. Those rock!

Extras-The only extra thing we did was the pirate cruise on the Sea Dragon. It was $100 for 2 adults, 1 teen, and 2 children. We had fun. There was a sea battle with another boat, dolphin watching, face painting, dancing, cannon firing, and limbo. They even got to haul up a sunkin' treasure chest from the harbor and pick out some booty. The snack bar was very reasonable. We paid $27 for 5 drinks at the marina restaurant waiting for the cruise but drinks on the cruise were only a dollar, with 3 dollar beers and margaritas.

This was my first time to the area and I really liked it. It was really way more run down than I thought it would be but times are tough. What can I say though, I am a sucker for the beach and getting out of Illinois.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Corey87

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
springfield, mo
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Just wanted to say that my family stayed at Beachcomber over Thanksgiving weekend 2008. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was beautiful and clean. We had the best night's sleep with the balcony door open and hearing the waves crash against the shore. We will definitely stay again during the "off season." The prices are awesome and the lodging is terrific. Thanks so much for making our vacation worth it, especially during these hard economic times.

The Trivette Family
Springfield, MO

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank trivettefamily
Stockbridge, GA
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I was a little apprehensive about booking this place for my family's vacation after reading some of the negative reviews. It was either this place or the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort. After some internal debate, I went ahead and booked it, a move I did not regret.
For one, this hotel is located on the west end of the beach, away from the noisy Las Vegas atmosphere of the central and eastern ends and convenient to shopping (Winn Dixie, CVS and a dollar store are all within walking distance and Pier Park is a short drive away). I had heard about problems with parking but we never did have to use the alternate lots (across the street) the front desk agent pointed out to us upon check in. Every room has a view of the pool and ocean with nicely furnished balconies (2 chairs and a small table). Our room (a double suite) had 2 double beds in a seperate bedroom (by the door and streetside which could get a bit noisy), 2 TVs (one in the bedroom, the other in the living room), a full kitchen (stove with oven, full size refrigerator, sink, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, utensils, cookware and dishes) and a living room with an ocean view, sleeper sofa and dining room table with chairs). Granted the room was beginning to show its age and we never could get the patio door to close fully and yes I did see some mold growing on the ceiling but those trade offs afforded us one of the best vacations we've ever had. I breathe code orange smog on the way to work every day, a couple days of mold wasn't gonna kill me. The pool was nice and clean and never too crowded (mornings and late evening were good times) and the beach was beautiful with clean white sand and beautiful sparkling water. Plus we got 10% off at the Beach Break Restaurant (owned by the hotel and a short jaunt east) and kids eat free, just be sure to show your room key or parking pass. If you avoid peak times like Spring Break and the Fourth of July, the Beachcomber by the Sea is a marvelous choice for your entire family.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank georgiaonmymind13
Arizona
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We had 2 rooms, and stayed for a week. There are 3 areas to your room, a large bedroom, a kitchen area, and a great living room with porch and ocean view. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Cleaning service is good, and desk staff is great! Parking is tight, but we usually didn't have a problem. Plenty of places to eat up and down Front Beach Blvd. Has a nice separate business/computer area, and a laundry facility. The pool and spa are big and clean! Definitely a keeper!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank retirednana49
Lewisville, TX
Reviewed 10 June 2009

The view is right on the beach! and a mile stroll on the beach to the pier park. That has the Jimmy Buffet Maragrita Ville and tons of shopping areas plus a mall attached.
The rooms were pleasantly nice and large. Could have def. fit 6-8 people in there. Well under a hundred bucks a night so great value.
The only negative thing I have to say is that the breakfast is a CROCK, just apple or orange juice, three types of muffins and some TINY yogurt cups. But we slept in to late most days.
I did like that the bed room had its one door separte from the kitchen/bath/living room. but we just unfolded the couch and threw the mattress on top so we could sleep looking out of the balcony into the ocean.
Great place to stay, I would try to be on the bottom floors because there are only two elevators that take a while on the weeknds. But I will def. stay there again!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pipikris
Rutledge, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 June 2009

PRICE and CHECK-IN/OUT: I always consult tripadvisor.com before making hotel reservations at beaches, and we based our decision to go to the Beachcomber on reviews as well as the price. (It seems that other PCB hotels I called with decent ratings were more expensive than the Beachcomber.) We arrived several hours before the check-in time and were pleasantly surprised that they had a room ready for us. Check out procedures were very quick and handled by a friendly receptionist.

LOCATION: Great! This Beachcomber is only one mile from Pier Park and the beach was not as crowdy as I expected. The only downfall to this location is that you have to drive a few miles to reach the good seafood restaurants.

BREAKFAST: Unless you want nothing but muffins, bagels and juice every morning, plan to bring some breakfast foods with you. The breakfast dining area is very small too.

ROOM 301: We liked the fact that our room (#301) was at the end near the stairs with an excellent view of the gulf as well as a view of the pretty gazebo beside the property. My boys liked the beds (green/blue colors) and we let them sleep in the bedroom while we used an air mattress from home on top of the worn sofa sleeper mattress. The living room and kitchenette were smaller than I expected (we've stayed in much roomier hotels/condos at similar prices). Although we were a little cramped, all was well the first day until we began noticing quite a few large bugs (looked like cockroaches) during the evening/night. The next morning I asked a housekeeper if I might borrow something to spray the cockroaches with and she directed me to the front desk staff who immediately said she will call maintenance to spray my room. We wondered if the spray might contain a strong odor (the front desk staff didn't know) so the staff offered to let us have another room. The clerk said what I saw was probably not cockroaches but palmetto bugs from the palm trees which are close to the room. All I knew is that they looked like cockroaches and I didn't want them around my family. The other problems with room 301 is that the carpet was older, the room didn't smell fresh, and the bathroom door wouldn't lock (which can be a problem when you're the only female in a family with three males).

ROOM 505: As soon as we walked in this room, we could tell a difference. It smelled fresh, the carpet looked new, all locks worked, and the only bug I saw for the remainder of our trip was outside the room. This room had exactly the same layout/same size as the other one.

POOL: I didn't get in the pool but the pool area seemed nice with plenty of seating and my boys loved the pool. I liked the fact that the water was not deeper than 5 feet.

PARKING: I loved the fact that the parking area was right at the hotel and we always were able to find a space close to the stairs or elevators.

One more thing....if two red flags are posted, please do not go in the ocean. My family didn't go in the water when red flags were up but several people ignored the flags and got caught in riptides. Fortunately, they were rescued but everyone isn't so lucky.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Familyof2boys
Punta Gorda Fl
Reviewed 15 May 2009

The staff at the front office at the beachcomber went out of their way to make sure everything in your stay surpassed your expectations. My wife and I stayed at the hotel to celebrate our 45th wedding aniversery and could not get over the staff at this hotel who not only did their job but called the room to ask if there was anything they could do for us. The view of the Gulf from our room was a delight and we enjoyed relaxing on the outdoor balcony.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple