“Escape to the country :-)”

The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wrightington
Reviewed 31 July 2017

On a business trip to Manchester , Liverpool last week . Our office in Man booked us into this lovely and quiet Hotel..... not so much a Country club ....
Was a great escape from being in the city if you don't mind peace and quiet ..
Rooms where comfortable , breakfast buffet substantial and you can order from the menu. The vibe of the place is to unwind and chill out .... would stay here again ..

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the car park advisable .
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Looking for a wedding venue in Standish area and this hotel was the first on our list. Called in to see if they can accommodate a small wedding and was assured that size was not a problem. We were shown around the rooms and chatted through what we wanted. We then went away and took the literature with us to discuss. A week later, I rang to book an appointment to book it and booked in for afternoon tea to celebrate.
We sat with the member of staff and talked through what we had decided, she went and imputed the details to book it and gave me an itemised breakdown of costs and a receipt for the £500 deposit we paid. We then went for our afternoon tea to celebrate! A few days later, received a phone call "clarifying what we booked" and was then told figures that were far in excess of what we actually had booked. We had booked for about 25 but he was quoting 40 to 60 for day and then asked for night numbers. We hadn't given night numbers at that point as still working it out.
As I was on a train, reception was poor and I was sat feeling confused and worried that it was going wrong. Yet I had the booking confirmation that was clear, so how could it?? But, the next time we meet is 6 weeks before.... not a lot of time if things are wrong! So I sent an email to just confirm. After a week and no response, my partner decided to show his mum the place and booked for afternoon tea. He asked while there but there was no one available to speak to him. He asked that they respond to the email as I was worrying.
The following week, on day one of a family holiday I received a call from David. My wedding was cancelled because the numbers are too small.
How greedy is that??? So someone maybe wanted that same day with bigger numbers so I got gazumped?? Absolutely gutted! Not even an option of paying a minimum cost if numbers are too small! Total greed and shocking customer service. Completely ruined the holiday.
Avoid this place unless you are filling the place to the max! Emailed lots of other local places and some lovely responses and most very willing to take small numbers. All very disgusted at the Wrightington. Can't express how totally and utterly upset, angry and disgusted I am

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Judge866
Wright_Hotel, Business Development Manager at The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Dear Judith,

With regards to the regrettable mistake at the time of booking and the acceptance of which was made in error by a member of the team, we are truly sorry.

We do however feel that your review here is not a true reflection of the full circumstances, and whilst you have placed your views on a digital platform, we must further our response to you.

We understand you are most certainly upset that your original plans are not a booking we are able to accept in peak wedding season yet following the realisation of the mistake, we have provided you with various options to have other beautiful, better suited areas of the hotel for your wedding alongside alternative dates. David called you several times following your email and left voicemails to discuss the issue with you. This was an unheard of situation for us and was dealt with as a matter of urgency once discovered shortly after the booking was taken. The suite you originally chose accommodates up to 250 people, your 20 guests would not at all have been suited in there and again we apologise profusely that you have been misadvised.

Please be assured that we do not ‘Gazump’ any of our very valued clients (the date stands currently available) and bookings are never under threat of being cancelled for larger, higher value events. We endeavour to always operate ethically but I’m afraid this has been a mistake on our behalf, one which we apologise for and have made attempts to resolve with you but unfortunately to no avail.

We wish you every success with your future plans and once again we apologise for the confusion and upset caused.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed one night as part of a wedding party - rooms are really nice spotlessly clean, great shower and lovely elemis products, complimentary tea and coffee as you'd expect and bottled water, however only one small bottle in a room for 2 people, it did say in the info booklet to contact reception for bottled water just thought it should've had 2 in the first place - checkout was 10.30 a little early really as most hotels now are usually 11am onwards but saying that we were told not to rush, probably because it was a Monday checkout and hotel may not have been expecting too many new guests to check in - can't say if this would've been the case if we'd been checking out on a Sat or Sun, all in all though a lovely hotel with nice staff would definitely recommend it and would like to stay again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Wright_Hotel, Buisness Development Manager at The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club.

We are pleased you found the hotel to your satisfaction and delighted you will recommend us in the future.

Your comments are duly noted regarding the water in your bedroom.

Regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights whilst working on The Open Golf.

Arrived late Friday night having flown back from a family holiday and then driven up from London. Checked in bynpolite receptionist and given room 245.

A wedding was in full swing and quite rowdy but not an issue when I go to my room. Room was clean and modern. The safe was already locked and could not be used. There was no fridge but a reasonable sized shower. Bed fairly comfortable. Farmland outside my window.

Ironed my clothes and went to to bed.

My room was next to the stairs which were very creaky and the soundproofing seemed inadequate for that and indeed for the noise from guests above who were probably part of the wedding party. Was quiet from around 1am till 5am when noise and creaking started again.

Left for work at half 6 very tired. Nobody at reception as I left.

I called the hotel from work and explained the situation and was told by a very friendly member of staff that they were fully booked but would see if they could switch rooms.

Returned that evening to find I had been moved to room 218 in a different wing overlooking the car park for the leisure club. They hotel staff had moved my possessions for me, and had forgotten nothing, however everything had just been stuffed into my bag. My clothes were terribly creases and I had to iron them all again on a small board more rickety than the last.

Room was evidently an upgrade from the previous basic room. Very nice large bathroom with walk in shower. Big room, large windows and a couple of chairs. A broken and battered pedal bin in the bathroom, some stains on the carpet and a rotting water damaged windowsill were all that seemed to let the room down. I notice there was an adjoining door to the next room so checked it was locked and then went to dinner at the on site restaurant Bennett's.

Very busy restaurant. Obviously popular with locals and had to wait for a table. Polite friendly and helpful staff. A good meal from a reasonably sized menu (which differed from the one in the hotel room and did not contain the meal I had decided to have before i went to the restaurant) and nice wine only let down by the air conditioning being somewhat colder than needed and a choice of music that was not quite right for the venue (daytime pop music kind of thing) and was played a touch too loud. Sadly it also had to compete with the music coming up from one of the two wedding receptions underway downstairs. Other diners seems happy and may not have noticed as much as They were in conversation whilst I was alone, and quite a few gave the air of being regular visitors by the way they interacted with the staff.

Back to my room and on pulling back to duvet discovered a bed sheet that was both too small for the bed and with no.real attempt having been made to fit it. The mattress protector was also too small and ill fitted (my colleague told me he did not even have one in his room).

Remade the bed myself as best I could and went to sleep despite some limited noise coming in from the corridor now and then.

Around about 1am a drunken man came in to my room from the adjoining door to room next door moving the chair in front of it on my side and very loudly telling me he had wanted to see if his hotel room had had another room to it. Evidently he had the means to unlock the door on his side unlike myself. He took his time to leave too.

I was quite startled at this and struggled to get back to sleep. The noise from other guests that rose in the night (again sound proofing is some of the worst I have come across) frequently wokr me, particularly in ligjt of the previous intrusion to my room.

I left at 7.30am the next morning for work exhausted.

I did not try the leisure facilities and was too early for the breakfast service on both mornings which didn't start until 8am, too late by any large hotel's standards, particularly one that apparently requires you to check out by 10am.

The few staff I dealt with were courteous. However the hotel does not truly qualify as 4 star to my mind. The rooms are reasonably attractive (218 much more so than 245) but have become frayed round the edges due to what i imagine is misuse by a large succession of celebratory wedding guests. Sound from.other guests is an issue and facilities in the rooms are no greater than those in a Premier Inn.

If I had been paying the bill i would have made a serious complaint to the management.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

I visited here in may of 2017 for a family birthday function. We had a room booked for a night but had stayed in a 5 star hotel the 2 previous nights. I know it is only a 4 star but it was a big downgrade from the previous nights. The shower was quite a small unit and looked just generally quite grubby once I was in it. The hotel staff were friendly and showed us where the spa and gym facilities were but in general it could all do with a bit of TLC. Views into the field looked beautifully stunning but we over looked the car park, not so stunning.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2017

Staff were very friendly and accommodating. The restaurant was superb, we ate there both nights we stayed at the hotel. The only citicism was the bed was so uncomfortable. But the rest of the stay was so good, we were willing to put up with the discomfort!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a comfortable bed!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

Lovely hotel for a nice spa break . Rooms are lovely - Bennetts restaurant is fabulous. Vitality spa is lovely too.
This hotel is in a lovely setting - it's only problem is that in the evening there isn't much going on. The bar is small and the courtyard downstairs doesn't have a bar in it - so drinks have to be ordered upstairs. It needs some sort of entertainment like a singer .
The restaurant where breakfast is served has a few issues too - the toaster wasn't working so lots of people were complaining and there weren't enough staff to keep the food stocked up so people were waiting ages for eggs etc and complaining about their food going cold.
The pool area could do with refurbishing - there's nowhere to sit around the pool whereas in other spas there is.
Overall we had a lovely stay and I wouldn't let the few issues stop me from returning . Bennetts restaurant and vitality spa are worth a visit

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wrightington
4.5 km away
9.6 km away
Rufford Arms Hotel
Rufford Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rufford

Been to The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!