“A touch above”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Plantation
Kitchener, Canada
“A touch above”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

This hotel is located in the Plantation suburb of Fort Lauderdale Florida. It is surrounded by every possible amenity imaginable. There are at least 10 chain brand restaurants within a 2 mile radius of this hotel including Olive garden, Chiili's, Applebee's, and at least three Mexican food places. There is a shopping Mall across the street with a food court for snacking and a Target a quarter mile away. The hotel itself is beautifully landscaped on the outside and is well kept on the inside. The front-desk staff is in my opinion well above average in terms of their friendliness and service. We stayed 5 nights and found it to be the only Hampton that offered a free happy hour with snacks and beverages from 5-7pm. Monday to Thursday It was a great opportunity to meet and greet people (most of whom were either going to or coming from cruises) over a free drink. The breakfast was adequate, nothing exceptional but decent variety and everyone seemed to be taking full advantage of that. One recommendation I would make is to change the seating area to smaller square tables in order to make room for more people. They have very large tables and I found people waiting to find seats during breakfast. The first day we were there my wife moved the night table between the two queen beds in order to plug something in and found it to be very dirty. She called the front desk and they immediately sent the head of housekeeping up and she sent someone in after we went out to make that area spotless. The gym was slightly better equipped than most Hampton's I've stayed in, which I appreciate and the pool area was very nice with a beautiful tropical look. This hotel is about 15 -20 minutes from downtown Lauderdale and the traffic can be heavy from 5-7pm. We found the price very reasonable with a AAA rate. Beds were comfortable and my wife and I would definitely return.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same in size there are no suites at this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 March 2012

The Good: It's a nice hotel. Clean. Attentive staff. Pool area is really nice. The standard free Hampton Inn breakfast tastes better than some of the other Hampton Inns.

The Really Bad: The hotel's Internet connection system is incredibly over-inclusive and blacks you for a couple hours if its filters catch anything it doesn't like. I tried playing youtube cartoons/videos for my kids. Got blocked. I tried listening to music. Got blocked. I made calls over Google Voice. Got blocked. I was reading the newspaper. Got blocked. I went to my business web site. Got blocked. Once a day I'd get blocked checking my email. I did a Google search about how to get around the filtering system. Got blocked.

This happens on both the WiFi and the ethernet cables in the room.

This has never happened to me anywhere else. I had to go to Starbucks and use their WiFi to get a couple hours of work done.

Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Traveling A
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We arrived in Plantation much earlier than expected. I thought we would have to hang out by the pool for a few hours and wait for our room. When I asked about an early check-in, the staff was very friendly and put us in our room hours before check-in time. Great news for weary travelers! The room was clean and the public areas were nice. The pool area was private and inviting. The manager's reception was an added bonus, free wine, beer, soda, and pizza. Breakfast was what you would expect at a Hampton Inn, a good variety of offerings. Shuttle service to and from the cruise port was prompt and the drivers were courteous. We parked our car at the hotel during our 10 day cruise and returned to find our car safe and secure. The hotel was close to shopping and restaurants. We had a great lunch at a place called The Mustard Seed, a very short drive from the hotel. It was in a strip mall and easy to miss, but worth the search. To sum it up...a really good start to a vacation. Thumbs up to a great hotel staff.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank necistilwell
Kasterlee, Belgium
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Good, clean hotel with helpfull staff. Located a bit away from the beach and city center, but on a good location to visit the Everglades as well as different beaches in neighbourhood. Clean, comfortable and big rooms at very good price/quality ratio, definately compared to the Miami South Beach hotels. Only (small) problem we had was inproper functioning of hair dryer. We gave up trying to find a good hotel at reasonable costs close to the beach and finally went for this option and it turned out to be a good choice.

Room Tip: Quiet environment, s probably no difference which room you are in
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Pacific, Missouri
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Booked with this hotel through Stay 1 2 3 and left car during 21 day cruise. We found the hotel clean (this was not our first stay at Hampton Inn, although not this one) The hotel staff was very professional and courteous. The shuttle to cruise port went smoothly. Our shuttle was scheduled for 11:00 and left hotel within 10 min of that time. Upon arrival back after cruise, called as soon as we cleared customs & we were told the shuttle had just returned from a pickup at port & it would be a 40 min wait, but the shuttle arrived to pick us up in 30 min. Arrived back at Hampton Inn to find our car in good shape & we were on our way. We will definitely stay with Hampton Inn again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CharlesL1316
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I had an overall great experience at this hotel. It is in a great location, next to a mall- right near the highways. The pool was great, and the staff was nice. They let me check in early too, which was a plus. I would suggest this hotel!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Oklahoma City
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I was staying at the Hampton Inn for 6 weeks for a flight school and after the first week I had to check out due to fleas in my room. When I informed management about the issues I was reimbursed for two days but not my whole stay. I lost 2 days of studying when I had to find and move into a new hotel as well as paying more. When I emailed the hotel with my complaints I was informed that they had done all they were expected to do and that they still hoped I would stay with them in the future. I am completely unsatisfied with the room and with the staff as well.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business