“Still Good, But MIssing Something”

Darrel & Oliver's Cafe Maxx
Reserve with OpenTable
Darrel & Oliver's Cafe Maxx is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 368 Restaurants in Pompano Beach
Price range: US$30 - US$60
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 February 2017

This is another place we have frequented over the last 30 years or so. For years it has been my choice of locations to celebrate my birthday. The last few years, I have to say it has not been what I recall but that's to be expected as staff changes occur both in the front and the back. It's a little pricey but worth it when they're on their game. One of my favorites is the Caviar Pie, a pie shaped slice of cream topped with a layer of three types of caviar served with toast points. This time I had hogfish which was tasty but not spectacular. Selection of wine is also good.

Reviewed 1 February 2017

What a good restaurant is all about: warm welcome, convivial atmosphere, well-turned-out creative international cuisine, good service, big wine list. So many dinners here, I've lost count, and every time I say I'll be back. All this comes at a price, but rarely has there been a dish I wouldn't order again. Don't miss the tuna sashimi pizza or the Brussel sprouts.

1  Thank Richard J
Reviewed 29 January 2017

Every bite of our Sunday brunch was a treat. We started with drinks (a Bellini and a bloody Mary) with the caviar pie appetizer (imagine a "pie" with egg salad in the bottom, a layer of cream cheese topped with three types of caviar) served with toast. My guest had the lump crab and wilted spinach eggs Benedict with asparagus and lemon-chive hollandaise on grilled English muffin (with very generous amounts of sweet crab meat). I had the sweet onion crusted snapper on three potato and herb frittata with French beans and gaufrette potatoes. We shared a creme brulee which I cannot properly describe except to say that it comes in a bowl made of cookie dough along with fruit and a few cookies on the side. Amazing dessert. The service was professional and the restaurant is nicely decorated.

Management response:Responded 31 January 2017

I want to thank you for the kind words, it means a lot. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 January 2017

Ate brunch here today. The food was fabulous; five stars. The service was good, but not great; 3 stars. If you can tolerate a few minor issues (and really, I do mean minor) and you want incredible food, eat here.

As someone with friends in the restaurant industry, I don't let service issues one time at one restaurant deter me from returning for great food. The chef was awesome and that is what matters!

We are going to return.

Management response:Responded 31 January 2017

Thank you for the wonderful review. We are working on making those other issues resolved.

Reviewed 18 January 2017

What a great place! We had a pre-selected menu for a business meeting and it was really good! We had a small private room for 20 and it was just right. The serves was very good. The chef uses unique flavors to blend and create really good tasting food.

Management response:Responded 20 January 2017

Thank you Lisa for the kind words it is very much appreciated!

Owner Operator