“Vacation for All”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
“Vacation for All”
Reviewed 8 April 2012 via mobile

First time at a Club Med, but definitely not the last. With a 17 yr old and 13 yr old, our vacations have all too often been "trips.". Not this time. The kids were gone all day long, we never heard the words, "I'm bored, " and we were able to haves real vacation. The G.O.'s were great. I cannot name them all, but Katrina, Rosie, Kelsey and of course, Lionel made the vacation so much better.

Food was fine and plentiful. Started out with a massage and it only got better.

Stayed April 2012
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Gary G,
Thank you for the kind review! We are thrilled to hear that your stay with us was satisfactory, even for your children. We know how important it is to make great family memories and we are proud to have been a part of it. We can’t wait to see you again soon!

Your Club Med Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (786)
  • Hebrew first
delaware county, pa
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We went to Club Med Sandpiper Bay last week and it was a good stay overall. We took our 2 year old daughter. I chose the resort because of the all-inclusive amenities and short direct flight from Philadelphia. We rented a car at the airport and drove the 40-45 minutes to the resort. I had wanted to get the room with the extra sleeping area, but that was booked, so we got the Deluxe room (standard hotel room with king size bed). The room was a good size, but I agree with another reviewer who said that the bathrooms were not at all included in the resort renovations (those renovations seem to have been mainly the common areas). However, the bathroom was clean but you could tell that it was on the older side. When we arrived, there was a worn stroller in the room, a pack and play, and a changing pad on the counter in the bathroom/vanity area. The changing pad had seen better days and was quickly put under the counter as I was not going to use it. I was also glad that we brought our own umbrella stroller because the one provided didn't look very clean. We didn't use the pack and play--our daughter slept with us in the very comfortable king size bed. We had a nice view of the river and little beach and a balcony with 2 chairs which was nice at night after our daughter fell asleep.

Food was excellent, in the buffet restaurant (Marketplace) and the sit-down restaurant (Soleil)! We have been to a number of all-inclusives in the Carribean and Mexico. This food ranked near or at the top in comparison. The bar staff wasn't the friendliest in our opinion....mostly stand-offish. Our trip was from Thursday to Monday....I quickly realized that by Saturday, it was Spring Break. It got more crowded. One downside was that the pools (particularly the main pool) were very quickly crowded by mid-morning and people were allowed to save chairs by putting towels down and leaving them there all day. Annoying and inconsiderate. I think the management should do more to enforce the posted rule of no saving of pool chairs. We have seen that done in other all-inclusives. We spent some time in the splash park, which was perfect for our 2 year old and often deserted whenever we went.

We took advantage of our car rental and went to a nearby beach (15-20 min drive) one day with help from the front desk for directions. We had heard about Bathtub Beach from a couple of staff members and went there....it has a natural reef and lifeguard, so it is popular with families. We didn't last long, as the sun was hot and we had no umbrella, but it was nice to get off the resort for a bit. It was nice to have the car because the resort has no store to buy things you may have forgotten or realize you need. There is a Walgreen's not too far away, but it is not walkable.

We did not take advantage of the kids' club (day care) or PJ club, but probably would have if we were there longer.
The entertainment at night was pretty good. We enjoyed the circus and carnival shows (missed the Raggs show the night of our arrival, which our daughter would have really liked).

Overall, we liked the resort and would recommend it, especially for families with school-age kids. Seemed to be alot for that age group to do.

Room Tip: If you have kids, try to book the Club room with the extra sleeping area for little ones.
2 Thank islandjumpers
Dear islandjumpers,
Thank you for telling us all about your stay at Club Med Sandpiper Bay! We’re happy to hear that you were satisfied overall with your vacation. We do, however, appreciate your comments regarding the accommodations, staff and pool. Please know that we value your opinions. We hope that you will visit us again soon.

Your Club MedTeam
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 4 April 2012

This is a hard property to rate because there are a number of components to consider. You really can't rate this resort like others because it's distinct from them in many ways. The rooms are really not great. Whatever they considered to be a major renovations were lost on me. They basically put some bright colors on the walls and beds. The rooms were basically clean but not 100% clean. There was mildew in both the shower and on the curtains. I also found dust around the perimeter of the room in a number of places. The rooms are quite spacious which is great when you have kids in your room and there is plenty of storage space as well.

On the positive side, and there are many, the staff is extremely courteous and helpful. When I requested that they re-clean the room, they attended to the request immediately and appropriately. The food is surprisingly good and plentiful. The kids camp is also a lot of fun. It is not always the most organized program, which can be frustrating, but the counselors are great with the kids.

There isn't a lot to do for adults here. If you like sports, then you will enjoy yourself because there are lots of ways to be athletic here. If you aren't, you will have to find a way to entertain yourself. That was fine with me though. With the kids occupied, I could just relax by the pool and read, which was great.

This is a very easy place to go with kids but you definitely have to expect no frills. For the price, it can be a bit of a suprise that there are no frills but once you get into the feel of the place, you will have a great time. You have to go with the camp mentality or you will be stressed out the whole time. This is not a luxury hotel at all. This is a place that caters to families and you can tell.

4 Thank abrb524
Dear abrb524,
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Kid’s Club and of course, our wonderful staff. We’d also like to thank you for insights regarding our renovations and accommodations because we value your opinion. We hope you will visit us again soon.

New Jersey
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We were hoping for an easy first vacation with our 6 MONTH OLD son, but instead experienced several situations which made it rather DIFFICULT. I couldn't believe we were experiencing all these issues at Club Med.

BROKEN ELEVATOR: We had to drag the stroller and a baby up to the third floor multiple times before the issue was fixed.

NO HOT WATER: On the day of departure, there was NO HOT WATER when we woke up at 5 AM. The night staff lacked any empathy and didn't own the problem. The front desk couldn't be more specific outside of "they are working on it". It was almost time to check out when they offered us to move to another room. It was horrible, we couldn't clean the baby, couldn't take the shower ourselves, and, more importantly, couldn't enjoy our last day of stay! I was stressed out traveling with the baby as is and this made is so much worse!

I filed a complaint to Club Med. I was told by the front desk employees that they usually reimburse 1 day stay. Instead, they sent me a letter with apologies and a voucher in amount of 50% of the last night price FOR A FUTURE CLUB MED VACATION. The letter was signed by Barbara Noblet from Guest Relations.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Anyushka28
Dear Anyushka28,
Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the accommodations, and we regret to hear that your stay did not meet our high standards. Please know that we appreciate your insight, and we are addressing your concerns immediately.

Indianapolis
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Just got back today fro 6 amazing nights at Club Med Sandpiper! Having done (and loved) cruises the last few years, we weren't sure what to expect. Let's just say, we will be back! From start to finish, it was a perfect vacation in every way! We traveled with 3 kids ages 15, 13 and 10. Yes, as other review state, there are lots of younger kids there, but absolutely there is something for kids of all ages! Our teens had a great time in the Latitudes club and especially enjoyed Marisa and Rosie. They even cooked up a circus version of the song "Consider Yourself" from Oliver to perform at the Circus show! Our 10 year old was hesitant at first to join in the club and spent the first day and a half hanging out with us. We encouraged her to just try one class in the 8-10 y.o Manatee club and she was sold. Being older, she could check herself in and out so that seemed to work well for her. She also got to be a part of the Circus show!

Our accomodations were excellent. We were in the C building in a newly renovated Deluxe Family Suite that had 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths. It was perfect for us! When we arrived, we met G.O. Alan who had only been working at Club Med for 5 days but you would never know it. His energy and smile made us feel right at home. His excitement about being part of Club Med migrated to us! The housekeeping (twice a day in this room!!) was fantastic and always stocked with fresh linens and towels. We also really enjoyed sitting out on the patio and relaxing in the lounge chairs in the evening.

Food: Not really knowing what to expect I must say we were delighted with the food choices. Always, changing, something for every one, a combo of prepared and fresh food made it a dining pleasure. We also enjoyed the format of Soleil! It was nice to go there to have a bite to eat when the Marketplace dining was closed. LOVED the tenderloin night....excellent. Props to the Head Chef and his very talented and friendly staff!

Activities: Here is what we did: Paddle boarding & Sailboating (congrats to the amazing Watersports staff...they were excellent and worked so hard keeping everyone on boards and sailboats boats!! ) Kids did trapeze, Patrick helped my husband advance his juggling skills, Bruce gave great golf lessons to us. I had never played before and he was so patient and encouraging! Courtney in the bar gave us a great time with her bartending class and even showed us how to make a killer Martini!! We went to the shows most nights and enjoyed them! We also had lunch one day with the Show Costumer of the shows. He was so nice and I wish I could remember his name because he always said hi to us and made us feel welcome. Also loved doing aqua aerobics in the lap pool. The sports director (yikes..name escapes me but know she is moving on to club med Turks) was a terrific balance of fun and professional. She did a great job keeping up with all the many activities offered and always did it with a beautiful smile!! (Also want to point out Jennifer in accounting....she was classy and kind with the best smile!)

When making our plans to travel, we were a bit skeptical about how we would enjoy a trip to Florida without the ocean or gulf. After about a half-day, we never thought of it again. As a matter of fact, we even rented a car with the plan of heading to Jensen beach for a day or two. Well, we never did b/c we were having such a great and relaxing yet fun-filled time at Club Med!!! In addition to all the great food, activities, pools, lessons, shows what really makes this place special is the general upbeat tempo and attitude of the staff. They are always willing to help, answer questions, give tips and generally make your vacation memorable. Even our 10 year old noticed this which says a lot!

In summary: Club Med: well fed, activity lead, comfy bed---enough said!!!

Dear Irishlilly,
Thank you for writing such an in-depth review of your family’s vacation with us! We are pleased that all members of your family had an unforgettable stay. Our activities, food and wonderful staff are truly something that you can’t beat! It is great to hear that you were well fed, activity lead and in a comfy bed, and we can’t wait to have you back for another amazing six days!

Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We recently returned from Club Med Sandpiper Bay with very mixed feelings. The main reason for choosing the resort was the highly recomended tennis program. Our son is eight years old and has been playing tennis for the last two years at a good tennis club. He loves the game and was very excited to spend a week at the tennis camp in Sandpiper. As we arrived we checked the tennis facility and it looked great. And this is the end of our positive experience with tennis! On his first day at the tennis program our son was not introdused to the other students or told what is to be expexcted of him. We were not told at drop off what is the schedule for the day. We left him assuming that adult trainers will be in charge! I came back at 10am just to check and found my son just sitting at the main entrance area and was told by Many(not sure about the spelling of the name)that my son is ready to leave. When booking the camp, I was told by the wife of the owner that the morning tennis activities are until lunch time. When we came back after lunch we were told by Many - by now I figured he will be the responsible adult in charge - to come back and pick him up at 5:30. After asking what is the schedule, he took us to a print out on the wall and pointed to it. As he was reading it himself, he said that this is not the correct one anyway! My husband and I ended up staying to watch some of the trainig. We came to realize that most of the boys and girls in the program are much older and living on the premises of the school. They all new each other and had a flexible daily practice schedule. Our son seemed very isolated and not knowing what to do. As he was instructed by a young coach on how to serve, he was told that his tennis is very bad compared to the rest of the players. As I was sitting and watching and not sure how to understand the trainig approach of the Academy, my son came begging me not to stay anymore. I went and try to talk to the young coach about the aproach he is using and was reassured that everything will be okay. I left with the very clear understanding that I will pick up my son at 5:30pm. Just to make it a bit more clear, this is our second day at the resort and we do not know our way around. Around 4pm, as I am leaving the pool area, I see my son walking with his tennis bag and trying to find us. His words were that he was told to leave the academy and that he is finished for the day! We both went back and I demanded an explanation. After waiting for a while and no one really showing up, I decided to ask for refund and try to save our vacation. Again assuming that the receipt I was given meant that the 1200 dollars were refunded back on my card. Just before leaving the tennis area I spotted the very highly praised owner of the academy and decided to share with him our experience, thinking that our feedback will be helpful and appreciated. While trying to explain, I was attacked with anger and told that my son was immature. I realized that a civilized conversation is not an option and left.
On the next day I shared our experience with Lionel, the head of the village, and was told by him that someone will contact me about our tennis experience. He was very patient and paid attention to my words, but nothing more happened. No one came to talk to us.
On the positive side, the kid's club saved our vacation and to a degree justified the amount we spent with the desire our son to play tennis. All the councilors were very friendly and my son loved them. Especially Kelly, she was always nice and very accomodating. Thank you Kelly!
We ended up loving the resort and had a great time. The service was great and the food as well.
And to conclude our tennis experience, as we were checking out, we were told that the 1200 dollar amount was not refunded and I have to go back to the tennis building and ask for a signature. I can say that another significant amount of last day vacation time was waisted in runing back and forth. Until today the amount is not refunded and I will be waisting more of my time.
In conclussion, I will not recommend Sandpiper Bay for their children's tennis program. Otherwise the resort is very pleasant and the service is great. All the rest of the actities were great as well and we loved the family events.

Room Tip: We stayed at building B and had a nice view from the second floor.
2 Thank Aksenia
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Aksenia,
We would like to thank you for sharing your concerns with us. Though we are glad you enjoyed the resort and activities, we regret to hear that your experience with our tennis academy was unsatisfactory. Please know that your insights are very important to us, and we are addressing your concerns immediately. We hope this will not deter you from future stays with Club Med.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Just got back from the resort and really enjoyed my stay. I was mainly there for the adult tennis academy, which is fantastic (thanks to Jean-Philippe and Laurent), but the rest of the resort is also a great place. The staff is quite nice and polite, always making sure you have all you need to enjoy your stay. Rooms are in good shape, the cleaning crew makes a good job and the public areas are also well taken care of.

For the tennis lover, you'll find some dedicated pros to help you with your game. The hydro-clay courts are in perfect shape and the hard courts are also well maintained. The adult academy is a three hour class in the morning emphasizing on your weakness (they'll find it pretty quickly!) and applying good strategy. I was lucky to be paired up with three other good players (level 3.5 - 4.0), whom I got to hit some balls later in the afternoons on whatever courts we wanted (whatever is available at no cost).

My only caveat would be the food and drinks. While it is a true all-inclusive resort, there are only two restaurants with practically the same menu. Though everything is good and well varied, you don't get to enjoy a gourmet diner during your trip. The drinks, while plenty, where not very good (pina coladas, bloody marys, etc.). But rest assured, the buffet is quite varied and fresh, with plenty of fish, salads and vegetarian plates everyday and, of course, pizza, burgers and fries. True to their origins, you can find a French inspiration to a lot of platters, foie gras for instance.

A definite repeat for the tennis academy and I wouldn't have any problem recommending this resort to my friends.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear mesance,
Thank you for telling us all about your stay with us! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our tennis academy because we work hard to provide the best possible experience to all of our guests. We’d also like to thank you for your insights regarding the food because we value your opinion. We hope you will be back again to play tennis with us very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
11.9 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
12.3 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port St. Lucie West
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#8 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie
#10 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
13.1 km away
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village / Port St. Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village...
#2 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!