“Camp Crystal Lake”

Club Med Sandpiper Bay
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
Reviewed 26 January 2015

This “resort” is definitely not for everyone. Actually I don’t really think it fits in the “resort” category as it is old, dilapidated and reminds me of an old run down summer camp.

I stayed here for 2 nights for a conference, but otherwise I honestly have no idea what would possess anyone to purposely book a stay at this place. Furthermore I am shocked that anyone would hold a financial conference here. The talk of the conference seemed to be the strange choice of venue. It’s certainly not what we are used to. I am not a fan of the all- inclusive thing either. Cheap liquor, boring and poor food choices etc. It’s all the same. Yuck.

The property is very dated and in need of repairs and renovation pretty much everywhere. The buildings were just dingy looking and quite frankly ugly. My “premium” water view room had shingles/tiles falling off the walls and laying on the balcony floor. The décor left a lot to be desired. The day beds were severely stained. Very strange color schemes etc. The room was similar to what I stayed in when I was in summer camp 30 years ago. Coincidentally I think that was the last time the room was updated. I think that many of the buildings would need to be bulldozed and rebuilt. They are just too far gone for any refurbishment.

Yes there were a lot of outdoor activities offered here, though none of that would specifically draw me to this property especially with everything else that Central Florida and the rest of the world for that matter has to offer. When planning a trip I really don’t think “hey…where can I find a volleyball net??” but after reading other reviews it appears that is oddly appealing to some people. To each his own I guess. It was nice that they had paddle boards and such for use in the river. Again, there is nothing spectacular here that I can’t find at better resorts in Florida.
I only had the option of eating at the buffet restaurant due to the way the event was scheduled so I cannot speak of the other restaurants. The food was average at best. There was a decent variety at lunch and dinner but breakfast was horrible. The coffee machine made good drinks so that was a plus. That is about the most notable thing I can say about it.

The fitness center was large and had plenty of equipment though some of it did not work properly. I didn't have a chance to use the spa but they had a decent menu.

On a positive note, the staff was really nice. Everyone always had a smile on their faces and always greeted guests warmly. They are definitely best thing about this place, but not enough to make me want to return….ever.
Many attendees of the conference (who had previous experience at this property) chose to stay offsite at the Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn. That speaks for itself. Conference coordinators….. Take heed!!
No, I would not return nor recommend this property to anyone.

Room Tip: go elsewhere!
6  Thank travelcrazy45
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2015

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Club Med Sandpiper Bay. We are disappointed
that your experience was less than what was expected. Please be assured that your comments
regarding the overall condition of the property, accommodations and the culinary experience
accept our sincere apologies. If you would like to discuss your experience further please do not
hesitate to reach out to our Guest Relations department at us.guestrelations@clubmed.com.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,290)

Reviewed 26 January 2015

We went to Sandpiper Bay over Christmas with our 2 adult children and teenager. The Club Med Sandpiper Bay was awful. From the moment we were greeted with lukewarm water and juice to the minute we checked out with the rude front desk staff, our trip was a huge disappointment. Our rooms were decent because they had been redone not too long ago, but the buildings themselves were old and not well cared for and because it is basically a motel with metal doors to the outside, it was very loud. The grounds on the whole resort were ill-kept and not attractive at all. We chose this resort because of the golf course. Our younger son doesn't enjoy the beach so we thought he would be happy with the golf activities the website advertised, but when we got there, the only activity that was included in the price of this "all-inclusive resort" was golf lessons. The worst part was the disinterested staff. We spoke to a woman in the golf shop shortly after arriving and I explained that my son was a very avid and skilled golfer and she told us that they had golf lessons. I told her that he didn't need lessons but just wanted to play and she said that the other offerings were morning and afternoon activities and afternoon tournaments, but they were an additional $100 per activity per day. And then she just walked away. Never tried to engage with our son at all, so we signed up for some tee times (also an additional fee) and left. That proved to be true with all of the GOs at this resort. In fact, not one GO spoke to us for the whole 4 days that we were there. One day, we spent about an hour and a half on the man-made beach and used the paddle boards, and the GO there didn't even acknowledge us. He didn't offer any instruction, he didn't offer help in finding life jackets, nothing. He was too busy talking to the other staff members nearby and doing his daily sit-ups. The housekeeping staff was nice but didn't make it to our room until at least 4 pm every day, so they were there when we were ready to relax and start showering for dinner. But when we asked for a late check out on the day we were leaving, that was not possible. The dining situation there is miserable. They have one buffet restaurant that has the same offerings day after day, meal after meal. And it is so disorganized that it is a train wreck trying to get your food. For example, the hamburgers and hot dogs are on one side of the room but the buns are on the other side of the room. The salad bar items are spread out in 4 locations so you are constantly having to wait in line and people are bumping into each other and breaking in line and it is just not pleasant. I do have to compliment the Nikos. I think he was the manager of the restaurant and he tried really hard to accommodate people but unfortunately, he didn't have much to work with. For dinner, the resort lets people reserve tables by purchasing a bottle of wine that is not included in the free wine offerings, but they don't have times on the reservations, so if you don't want to drink wine every night, all the tables are reserved but no one is sitting at them so you get to walk around with your plate searching for a place to sit. There is another nicer restaurant on the property with sit down service but you are only allowed to eat there one night during your stay and surprise, there is an up charge! You get the menu and it has items that are only available for an extra charge, or you can buy a bottle of wine (a minimum of $50) and then you get 2 of those entrees for free. The food was good but the servings were not very generous and our server was not very friendly. We actually spent $100 on a cab one night and went to a nice steak house in town because we couldn't bear the thought of that awful buffet for one more meal that day. As far as the pools, the only heated pool was for adults only so we only went there once. There were not many chairs there and none were available. That was the case at all the pools and most of the time, there weren't any clean towels either. And the lifeguards were about as friendly and helpful as all the other staff we came across. We actually just sat on the little patio outside our rooms a lot but one of the chairs was broken in one room and it was not fixed, despite our calls to complain. The other rooms's patio was missing a lounge chair so we had to take one from the room next door since it was empty anyway. We all had massages at the spa and that was okay but even there, we scheduled them all at once to be on the same schedule and one of the therapists didn't show up so mine was an hour late. Our transportation to and from the airport (a 45 minute ride) was through Club Med and it was $500 and the cab driver that took us to dinner told us we could have used a cab service for $100 each way. Basically, everything that we enjoyed about the trip, we paid extra for on top of the almost $1800 per day that they charged us for rooms that should be around $300 a night, to be generous, and some mediocre food. You even have to pay for wi-fi. I would never call this place a resort and it is definitely not 4 stars. If you are used to nice places, you will hate Sandpiper Bay.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Sophie91809

that your experience was less than what was expected. Your concerns are very important and
we appreciated the feedback. Please be assured that your comments have been forwarded to
the appropriate management team for review and resolution. If you would like to discuss your
experience further please do not hesitate to reach out to our Guest Relations department at
us.guestrelations@clubmed.com. Once again, please accept our sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 25 January 2015

The entire resort smells MUSTY!! Musty in the bedrooms, hallways, bathrooms, and dinning rooms!! ....seriously, we could not eat inside in the dinning room b/c of how strong the musty smell was. There is a big difference between ocean/salt water/beach smell and musty mildew! I guess some of the rooms have been renovated, but the ones we were in have not... I've been to 2 other Club Meds and this resort was horrible compared to the others. We felt like we were in a run down motel!! Our bathrooms were nasty, old rundown decor/paint/tiling/etc. everywhere. Didn't matter how many times they changed the sheets, everything still smelt musty. Food in the main dining area was so generic & they hardly changed the "menu" from night to night... nothing like the other Club Meds. There is 1 main bar and apparently it doubles as a children's activity center as well... so good luck on trying to have an enjoyable cocktail in the evening over someone screaming into a microphone & balloons popping. Does anyone else find it odd that there were children in a bar at 10pm!?? And don't be fooled when they say "bar" at the adults only pool.... it is a broom closet they haphazardly converted to serve LIMITED drinks, so don't think you're going to enjoy a frozen cocktail pool-side here b/c they don't have a blender! This whole resort is a joke & waste of money.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. Dine outside to avoid inhaling mildew while you eat. Grab a table outsid...
4  Thank TravelJunkies13

regarding the odor around the resort, evening ambiance and accommodations have been
sincere apologies.

Reviewed 25 January 2015 via mobile

We stayed in a newly renovated spacious room, with adjoining room with our 3 children.
The rooms were amazing - looking over the bay- lots of space and very stylish.
Food: very good- didn't get bored- great variety - having stayed at a few club med in France- the pastry chefs in the US are never as good as their counterparts.
We played tennis here- facilities are excellent .
Second visit here - would stay agsin :)

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Anneloubrown

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Club Med Sandpiper Bay! We love to
hear that you enjoyed your room, the food, and all of the activities we offer. We look forward to
welcoming you again for a 3rd visit!

Reviewed 23 January 2015

if you have kids (for the outdoor activities) but don't care about whether the food is hot, the room is clean, and you don't mind rats.....well this is the place for you. They need to update the 1960 dirty, tired, damp, mouldy disgusting rooms and dirty furniture. The bed was like something you would imagine from a Mexican prison cell. Just totally disgusting. I was obligated to stay for a conference, so I couldn't leave so I ended up feeling as though I had spent a week in prison (a Mexican prison that is). SO GROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS . I just can't understand how they are still in operation????????? wow what a nightmare. And, as for those who provide this dive with a positive review, I have to wonder if you are blind ???? Truly a gross experience.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors might be safer from the rats !
4  Thank wendy1302

regarding accommodations, food and sanitation have been forwarded to the appropriate management team for review and resolution. Please accept our sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 19 January 2015

Our recent trip to Sandpiper was lots of fun. Our group consisted of 4 grandparents, 4 parents and 4 preschool children. I'll give you the pros and cons.
CONS:
1. Rooms are comfortably adequate, but are in need of renovation.
2. Getting help at the reception area was SLOW.
3. Several in our group love to play tennis, but really disliked the tennis GO, Gino. They felt the tennis courts are given first preference to the academy kids, then the paid lessons and lastly...to the resort guests. A couple of times Gino ran our group off the court. This happened during a slow time of year for the resort. Can't imagine getting a court during the busy time. Other tennis GO's were very friendly.
4. Our group had some avid golfers. The ladies in the golf shop didn't seem to have a clue about tee times or information about signing up for the intensive golf. This was frustrating.
5. This is not the resort to visit if you have your heart set on being at the beach. The little beach by the river was picturesque and the kids enjoyed playing there.
PROS:
1. The kid's club was outstanding. All the GO's involved with the children are caring and helpful. The kid's club really contributed to our group having a wonderful vacation.
2. We enjoyed the food. Never signed up for the specialty restaurant.
3. The L'Occitane spa is wonderful and relaxing. The relax message with Tom is a MUST.
4. The PGA instructors involved in giving the daily golf lessons are friendly and helpful. Golf lessons can be intimidating, and these guys made lessons fun. I had a private lesson with instructor Mike O. that I enjoyed very much. The golf course is adequate. It seems especially good for beginning golfers and others who are working on improving their game. Make your tee times early as the course stays full with local golf club members. This is an outstanding resort to work on your game.
5. The volleyballers in the group loved Piotre! Some in our group enjoyed the intensive lesson with Piotre. He is an outstanding GO and Club Med is lucky to have him. Our group loved the morning volleyball lessons and the game in the afternoon.
This was a great club for our large and diverse-in-age group. I'd like to go back and work more on my golf game.

Room Tip: The A building is closest to activities and geared to children.
Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank kdurr56

We are glad to hear that your family enjoyed your stay at Club Med Sandpiper Bay. We strive to
provide a fun experience for family members of all ages and it appears your vacation was a
success in this regard! Rest assured the issues you encountered during your stay will be
forwarded to the appropriate management department for review and resolution. Thank you for
your feedback and we hope to see you and your entire family again soon!

Reviewed 18 January 2015

Great place, but a few improvements would be beneficial :

- Wifi available in the room free of charge (extra charge of 15$ a day for Wifi !?!, not really in line with competition);
- Kayaks available for guests (you have to get to the marina next door to rent one...);
- Smiling staff (they seem rather shy presently).

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
5  Thank G B

We are glad that you enjoyed staying at Club Med Sandpiper Bay! Our guests’ feedback is
important as it enables us to continually improve our product and the services we provide to our
guests. We appreciate you taking the time to write this review and we hope to welcome you to
another Club Med resort in the near future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
11.9 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
4.4 km away
Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie
Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie
#11 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
12 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Port St. Lucie, West
Hampton Inn & Suites Port St. Lu...
#4 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Quality Inn Stuart
#8 of 11 in Stuart
9.8 km away
Suburban Extended Stay Hotel - Stuart

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!