Lock in the lowest price from these sites
FindHotel
Hotels.com
All reviews the tini martini bar the secret garden coach house bar credit sleep number charlotte street the main house view of the bay bed and breakfast sitting area perfect location people watching jacuzzi tub old town historic district porch augustine
Selected filters
Reviewed November 29, 2020

I had heard a lot about this property and was anxious to stay but unfortunately my stay did not live up to the hype. We stayed in the Coach House which is directly on Charlotte Street. We were hoping for a leisurely Thanksgiving morning as our reservations for our meal were not until later in the afternoon. However we were awakened very early with the garbage trucks going down Charlotte St and emptying all the dumpsters along the way. While I know this is not the Inn's fault it certainly changed our plans for the morning. If you plan to be up and out early everyday the Coach House would work for you but if your intention is to be a bit more leisurely this is not the room for you.

Date of stay: November 2020
1  Thank 212Moree
Reviewed November 1, 2020

Overall a very disappointing stay for the price paid. Things that we liked based on our research were its location, the option to eat breakfast on your own schedule and order off a menu, and rather than offer a happy hour like other BNB’s, you could enjoy a martini on your own schedule.

Our biggest issues was that we were not getting what we thought we were paying for and felt like there was false advertising. The BNB’s website advertises guest common areas including the waterfront veranda and shows numerous pictures of the upstairs balcony overlooking the Matanzas Bay. This was very misleading as we thought this was to be used by all guests. After talking to the receptionist at check in we found out it was a private balcony for the two rooms upstairs. The website also advertised hairdryers, irons and ironing boards in all the rooms which we did not have in either of our two rooms.

Upon arrival, it was very difficult to find where you check in. The website specifically says to go to 57 Charlotte Street. That door is a maintenance closet. To check-in you are supposed to go in the back entrance of the hotel. Upon entering the back entrance you have to walk through the back dining area of Nero’s restaurant. This area was very dirty, smelly, and the floors were soaked from the spilling of the ice machine. Not the best first impression. After check in, we were guided to our parking spot in a nearby lot. We then went to check out our room which is where the extreme disappointment hit. The room (#13) was filthy and in such poor condition, I don’t think pictures can even do it justice. The wallpaper was falling off the walls and the walls were painted in such a “rush” that you could see large drips of dried paint everywhere and two to three different colors of paint on the wall because someone was too lazy to repaint the entire wall. The rooms are equipped with sleep-number beds. When I picked up the remote I noted it was programmed with “his and her” labels of “bitch” and “hoe” which is disgusting and not to mention it was broken so the bed did not work. If I were the BNB, I would be embarrassed to even list that room for occupancy.

Besides the feeling of disgust, I was concerned about being held liable for these noted damages, and then became concerned for our safety. We noted the door would close and lock but was still open about a finger’s width. In addition, the plantation shutters on the door were busted and missing a panel so people walking by on the busy Charlotte Street could see right in our room. I did not feel comfortable with this and immediately spoke directly to the front desk and expressed my concerns. As the BNB was fully booked (and everything else in St. Augustine was also sold out) there was nothing they could do. On a mission to try to enjoy our vacation, we went to the Tini Martini to redeem our free drink. While there, the Manager of the BNB came to our table and told us they just had a last minute cancelation and could switch our room. We went with her to check out the room and we gladly switched (#2).

I wish I could say this solved all our issues and that this room was perfect and worth the money. This was not the case. I understand this is a historic room. By no means do I expect it to be perfect. What I expect is for it to be nice with historic charm. The fact that the sink was not secured to the wall or floor was concerning as it teetered when being used. In addition, the stopper in the sink was not connected so when I closed it, I was unable to reopen it. The shower drain cover was not secured in the shower and there were tiles with cracks. The website says that rooms are currently being renovated one at a time so room appearances may differ from what is shown on the website. I asked about the second room we stayed in (#2) and was told this one was indeed recently renovated. Hard to believe there were still these oversights even with a new renovation. You also would think rooms these days would come equipped with a mini fridge but neither of ours did. The accumulation of these small items and the complete utter disregard to details made me feel like we were not getting what we paid for.

What I think is so sad is that this place has so much potential to charm. Location and being "quaint" is trumped by poor maintenance and uncleanliness. While I personally would not spend the money to stay there again, nor would I recommend it to family and friends, I would still recommend grabbing a drink at Tini Martini.

Room tip: Book elsewhere. Room #13 was horrendous! #2 was next to the noisy kitchen and still had faults of its own, especially for being renovated.
1  Thank BriannaR_12
Reviewed October 30, 2020 via mobile

This hotel leaves a lot to be desired.
Our suite needed a good cleaning and the furniture was tired and dirty. I can’t imagine what the kitchen must look like when the hotel looks so nasty. I also believe the photos are not current. This hotel was a disappointment.

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia Q
Reviewed October 12, 2020 via mobile

We chose to eat here because of the great location near the water. The restaurant (Waterfront Cafe) won’t show up on Trip Advisor. The food was fabulous and the service was great. The view of the water made it a great experience.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank UteA732
Reviewed October 4, 2020 via mobile

First I’m going to say, read my previous reviews, I’m not a complainer. My weekend here was fabulous but was surprised by the shape of our room (room 8Casablanca suite) with reading other reviews.

Pros: Great location. The staff at Neros and the Martini bar are FABULOUS. Kevin was beyond perfection for wait staff both mornings. Prompt, helpful, professional. The young lady who manned the hostess booth with long dark hair FABULOUS as well. I’m sorry I didn’t get her name. She was very accommodating. The breakfast food was good. Coffee was some of the best I e had. Drinks fantastic. If you stay there you get a free drink each night. Please tip your wait staff on the total of your bill before discount. These guys and gals are bustin a hump! Location is great. Close to everything. I think we walked around 14 miles this weekend. The bed was super comfortable and was a sleep number bed.

Cons: arrived a few hours early. Could not check in until three. I understand that but will get to that later. You’re only allowed one car per room for parking. Fine, I understand that but you should make that known when reservations are being secured. In fact the parking situation in general should be discussed as it wasn’t exactly easy arriving on a Friday afternoon and meeting someone there from the other side of the state. I was told my room wasn’t “ready”. I’m fine with that, however, our room looked like it had not been used in some time. There was a lot of dust everywhere, dresser, nightstands, bed frame. Cobwebs from ceiling to lampshades. My allergies definitely flared up. Shower curtain too short and water ran onto floor with each shower. Bathroom floor and baseboards weren’t very clean. No daily maid service. Subpar toiletries that were not renewed on the second day. Sink had a huge crack in it. I had a cold shower, but my friends after mine was hot (that may have been the ghost lol). We had a patio, but only one chair that the cushion was wet and dirty in. The power strip that the AC unit was plugged into was definitely overloaded.

Overall, I’d stay here again, but will request my room be tidied prior to my arrival. I will ask for daily service as at over $250 a night it should be included. The bar and restaurant were fabulous and all service staff made up for the somewhat neglected room. We did have a fantastic weekend.

Trip type: Travelled with friends