“Fried Oysters!”

Price range: US$15 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed July 22, 2016

We went for an early lunch at 11:30 and were promptly seated at the second to last table available. It's a VERY popular place and with good reason! Though known for their shrimp, my husband and I had the fried oysters and fried catfish and they were outstanding! Our waitress was a cheerful doll! Don't miss this place if you are anywhere within 50 miles of it!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,512)

Reviewed July 21, 2016

This restaurant appears to cater to the locals. It is a very small restaurant but the line moved quickly for us. The help is friendly, and the food was tasty. Good ole food....not heavy sauces and fancy la-de-da....just good, hot, food. I had Tilapia which was fried.....(which I don't normally do...and you could get it grilled)...but was not greasy and was so lightly breaded I didn't have a guilt trip when I ate it. My granddaughter had Spaghetti....raving reviews....and she ate it ALL! Husband had Large order Shrimp..again ever so lightly breaded. Cole Slaw and Hushpuppies were excellent. Please try it; there may be a wait...and they don't take credit or debit cards..so have cash! But prices are very reasonable! I think you will like1

Reviewed July 20, 2016

very basic place to eat, nothing fancy just great food. Know for their fried shrimp there is a reason for that, THE BEST SHRIMP AROUND no reason to ever try to find better, we went for a late lunch so just walked in but if you go at normal dinner time prepare to wait, but its worth it.

Reviewed July 20, 2016

I have visited O"Steen's several times each time has been fabulous. The double order of shrimp along with the squash casserole side dish is my favorite. I is enough for two. Between myself and other guest we have ordered most things on the menu. Each has been lightly breaded and fried to perfection. There is usually a wait but you can shop the antique store next door while waiting. Prices are average but be sure and bring cash - NO CREDIT CARDS.

1  Thank djkwwp
Reviewed July 20, 2016

The good:
The food at O'Steens is good. The batter on the fried seafood is delicate, not greasy and seasoned well. The sides are fresh and have flavor. Overall the food should score a 4 or 5.
The bad
They only take cash and there is always a wait
The Uglt:
The service is terrible
Last visit to O'Steens, which was last weekend (we usually go about twice a year). We arrived at 11:00, meeting relatives in St Augustine. There were about 15 people in line and they had just opened. They opened the door and told all of us to come in and find a seat. Since we had a party of 4 the hostess said to sit at a table. The hostess told us to sit where we wanted. My husband and I sat down and about 1 minute later a waitress comes over. She states that we have to get back in line because the other members of our party were. Not there yet. I explained that they were parking their car. ( my brother-in-law is having cancer treatments it takes him a little while to move from sitting to standing then walking). I explained we wanted to order drinks for the table and an appetizer. She said too bad, I cannot serve you, you have to get back in line, leave the table and the restaurant (the line waits outside). So, we left and waited the 2 minutes it took for my brother in law to join us and the had to wait again for a table (about 10 minutes). This was absurd and crazy. I would have left however it is hard for my brother in law so we stayed. I will not be back. The waitress was rude beyond belief even saying it wasn't fair that the whole party didn't wait in line.