“great location”

Ranked #23 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“great location”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

great location,with in walking distance to almost everything , so its not a 5 star hotel but for the price you cant bet it . the only thing that was disappointing was the hotel tub wasnt working properly. all the staff where awesome in helping us get around town

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed 2 April 2012

At $150 PLUS $5 for parking, this is one of the least valuable hotel stays I have ever had. The hotel is run down, the rooms are cramped and dirty, the bathroom is so small you can hardly close the door and the air conditioning is so noisy you cannot have a conversation. If I did not need to stay here for a wedding I would have left and demanded my money back. The linens say "Holiday Inn" and the towels are grey - supposed to be white. What a dump.

Room Tip: Spend a few $ more and get a Hilton
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rod H
New Jersey
Reviewed 19 February 2012

This hotel was ok ... it was relatively clean. I appreciated the fresh coat of paint, but it still smelled of fumes when we arrived. There was a fridge which was great! THe towels were awful and too thin, but that's not a show-stopper.
The location was GREAT ... walking distance to the fort, and to historic downtown.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Second stay at this hotel. Sheri is still as helpful as the first trip (excellent). You can't get much closer to the old town with paying a lot more. The carpets were a bit worn but otherwise a very comfortable and clean room.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Took a trip to St Augustine in hopes to see the lights, which, thankfully they were still up. Decided to go to Best Western Spanish Quarter. I actually booked the Historical one thinking the Spanish and Historical was the same. I was lucky to switch.

Only problem was my impatience to wait on the cleaning which turned out fine cause the room was great in clean dept. Other than the room being on the small size, everything was fine. Walking distance to historical sites.

Room Tip: Didn't see any elevators and only 2 rooms that are handicap accessible, but king beds only, I ne...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Clermont, Florida
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Easy walking distance to St. Augustine so you don't need to pay to park. It's not a five star hotel, but who spends much time inside anyway? Pool deck has a couple tables and many loungers in a tight space; hot tub is tempid, with no jets. Barnicle Bills restaurant is next door if you opt not to eat in the old city. Pete, front desk, is always very helpful. We stay there 8 - 10 times a year, usually for business trips in nearby Jacksonville, so we can enjoy the old city in the evenings. Just a few blocks to the fort, old town, Bridge of Lions and a trolley ride to activities further away. Awesome Nights of Lights from end of November to first week of January with all of old town lit up.

Room Tip: No elevator to second floor, so if you don't like stairs opt for the first level.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank GwenL1
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I had originally read several negative reviews and was planning on bypassing this hotel. But by the time we arrived in St Augustine, it was late at night and we noticed that this hotel is located right next to the parking garage at Olde Town. So I called and got a price better than what we would get with AAA discount, and paid $71 for the night. Great location. Great price, so we checked in. Yes, I noticed the musty smell when I walked in the room, but truly that is about the only negative I could speak about. Yes the hotel is a little older, but it does appear that they try to keep it up and the room and bathroom was clean. I was actually surprised when I remembered that this was the hotel with several bad reviews, because it certainly did not live up to the negative comments. Granted, it is not a luxury hotel. And if you are use to staying at higher end hotels, then this might disappoint. We were basically passing through on the way home, but decided to stop in St. Augustine and play tourist a few hours the next day. We were able to walk to Olde Town from our room that evening to see the lights and return the next day and even though we had checked out, the office had no problem with us leaving the car there. So for a one night stay, convenient to tourist attractions, and about half the costs of other hotels/B&B's in that area, it was just fine. I do not have OCD, so I thought the towels were clean, as well as I had no problem getting between the sheets that night.
The front office staff was also extremely nice. I was on the road for about 8 days in a row, and as far as staff, they were by far the nicest and most accommodating I had come across. So I certainly cannot agree with another reviewer who stated that they were rude. I did not experience this at all.
This hotel does have free WiFi. They also have a free breakfast in the front lobby. Nothing too exciting, but it is free and convenient. The rooms have TV, iron, coffee maker and a small refrigerator. All rooms open to the parking lot, and all the rooms are non-smoking, The hotel itself is across hwy A1A and faces tourist information center, as well as Ripleys Believe It or Not, and a trolley station for those of you interested in the Trolley Tour. Across the road to the south of the hotel is a large public parking deck (nicely landscaped), that is next to Olde Towne, and that is across from the Castillo de San Marcos (fort). So most of this hotel is within walking distance to all the tourist attractions in St.Augustine. You may need your car to go to the Fountain of Youth (or take a nice walk), and the Lighthouse and St. Augustine beaches are a short drive across the bridge. Probably less than 10 minutes from the hotel to the parking lot at the beach.
Again, if you are looking for an affordable hotel, and not planning on spending a great eal of time in your room, then I think you would be pleased to stay here.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple