“Irrational and rude management, and that's the best part!”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #66 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed 23 March 2012

The word "incompetent" certainly gives the management too much credit. I have never been treated so rudely as I was by the management at this hotel. Initially, the manager tried to give me a rate of $150.00 a night over the phone and I found it for $100.00/nt online. So he started out trying to rip me off. That's just the beginning... My second night I was in the hot tub/pool area with a few other people from other rooms. No one had come to tell us it was after hours, we were all just talking, and the clock in the area read right at 10:00 pm (closing time). When the manager arrived, I figured he was going to tell us it was closing time and ask us to leave. However, he instead started yelling at us! He was asking what room number everyone was in. He singled me out and told me that I needed to leave or he would call the police. He was cursing and yelling, literally the most irrational behavior i have ever seen (wouldn't be surprised if he was intoxicated). No one in the whole group ever raised their voice or did anything but apologize, but he continued that he didn't wan't an apology but he wanted us to leave. I'm from Tennessee and it turned out to be 11 instead of 10 (he forgot to spring his clock forward in the pool area)... I wasn't going to leave, what was I supposed to do, sleep in the car? He called my room to heckle me again that evening, so I finally had to call the police. The police calmed him down, finally. Really...? I intend to do everything I can to make sure as many people hear about this as possible. This hotel is part of choice hotels and their attempt to make things better was to have the crazy manager sign a formed letter and send it to my home. To add to this slap in the face, during check out, his wife said, "well we don't allow anyone in the pool area after 10:00," as if that was what offended me! I don't know if it's stupidity or ignorance that drives this management! Wish I could give them zero stars. I would pay $100 more a night for a place twice as far away from the beach and smile while I did it. Will never use a hotel in the "choice hotels" group again. There is no accountability and no customer service whatsoever.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Wyn G

Reviewed 17 March 2012

The stay at this hotel was terrible and was found to be very short. All of the pictures that are presented on their website are not reflective of the true place to stay. Upon checkin, the customer service was completely rude. When we were given our room it was found to have BUGS and smelled of CHLORINE because it had just been treated for BED BUGS!!! We were extremely taken back and asked for a refund since we hadn't been in the room five minutes and I (being an asthmatic) could not breath, yet the clerk refused and said they would give us a different room, but again the room posed to be DIRTY and had a horrible odor. The whole night was a disaster and the customer service was HORRIBLE all the way around. I WOULD NEVER EVER RECOMMEND THAT ANYONE STAY HERE....I WILL NEVER GO BACK THERE!!!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, all that we saw were horrible.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsLRitchie
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We stayed here for one night on our way across the USA. We stay mostly in Comfort Inns, Quality Inns, Comfort Suites - and this one was BY FAR the WORST! The beds were old and SO uncomfortable. There was a board sticking out about 2 inches into the space between the beds. It came from under the box springs. It was DANGEROUS and I scraped my leg on it. Walls were paper thin. The person next door sneezes and you hear it all... The whole place is just worn out. For such a beautiful city, this was a huge disappointment.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel this past week with an online reservation since the TripAdvisor ratings were so high. At checkin I was rudely greeted by Carol (the night desk clerk) due to asking for my coupon to be redeemed that I had gotten on the way into FL. Not only would she not redeem the coupon, she argued with me about how it was impossible (not true). Since I have worked in the hotel industry before, I was overwhelmed to see how a bad situation can get worse. I requested a first floor room since they're all exterior entry, and although they were not all full, Carol wouldn't put me in one. So, once checked into a second floor room, I got to the room only to realize that she never gave me a key. So, back down I went. After getting the key, we checked the room for bugs && of course found 2 dead roaches behind the headboard ((while checking for bedbugs)) and out ptac didn't work. We called Carol and she didn't even know what a PTAC was (the heating/cooling element) but she did switch our room. After moving all of our things to the other side of the building, moving the car, and getting a different key we checked the second room only for it to be dirty (but cleaner than the last) only to realize that we were stuck with it. The following morning I went to check out while the owners were there. They were rude as well due to whatever it was Carol told them about and argued with me for one hour while checking me out due to my bank had two different transactions taken out. We were charged for two nights the first time, and another the second. We only stayed here ONE night. Needless to say, the customer service overall was horrible, the rooms were filthy, and the hotel itself is ran down. I was highly disappointed this was even called A "Comfort Inn". I expected the best and recieved the worst. :( The Island Inn across the street was very welcoming, clean, and convenient for the rest of our trip.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Randi O
Reviewed 16 February 2012

This hotel was a great value....very clean and comfortable room, great price, comfortable bed and right off highway. The attendant at front desk was extremely friendly and helpful in suggesting nearby restaurants, etc. The complimentary breakfast was typical, round scrambled egg patties, bagels, sausage links, waffles, cereal, juice, coffee, etc. All was fresh! I would stay here again. Nothing fancy but nothing to complain about.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Beautiful property, staff is rude as heck!! Pool has such high chlorine levels your sinuses will burn for a week! Beds are like bricks, especially the pull out couch. Not enough food & only one poor sole to help the crowd. The female manager is heartless. No, I repeat, no wi if above the first floor despite what their false advertising says. This place is pretty, but you can dress up a pig. Don't waste your money. Stay closer to the fort and pay for parking. This place stinks!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Justatouristlikeyou
Reviewed 29 December 2011

It can be hard to find a reasonable price for dogs in this area. This hotel was one of them. The staff was helpful and welcomed my two dogs. There is a nice boardwalk to the dog friendly beach. I had a refreshing stop here. It was clean and everything was in working order.

Room Tip: Room 2 is on the end making it easy to step out to walk the dogs.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo