“Many problems with both WIFI and cable.”

Ascend Collection Castillo Real
Tampa, Florida
“Many problems with both WIFI and cable.”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

This is a nice property with spacious rooms with nice amenities such as oversized shower and separate in room hot tub. However, it is very frustrating that there is consistent problems with internet access. At this very moment the cable tv is "out" with a message apologizing for the inconvenience and to call comcast if the problem continues. When I arrived at the hotel four days ago and reported the internet problem, the hotel staff acknowledged that they have known about the problem for "a month" and said they are trying to get it resolved. All evening the television has been out and I have to wonder if the same vendor is supplying the hotel with both internet and cable tv. If this is the case the hotel should show this room to their vendor and demand it be corrected. I really liked many things about this property and plan to visit this area again as it is a good "getaway" from where we live in Tampa (only a 3 hour drive away). However, I will not stay here again until I know that they have this problem solved. Many of us need to be able to check business email etc in order to take getaway trips like this. The restaurant on property is excellent as well as the Sunset Grill which is walking distance from the hotel. Its too bad as this property has so many things going for it but living in a wired world they need to get this corrected.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms have an in room two person hot tub and balcony so try to get one. Make sure they...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jmk957
RDealaney, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this review, 11 March 2012
We are glad o hear that other than a few technical issues, that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologize for the cable and internet issues. We have recently upgraded from a very limited (20 channel) satallite lineup to Comcast Digital Cable. As I have heard from many souces since the switch; Comcast is not so reliable, but the only cable provider we have access to here in St. Augustine. We are still working with them to remedy these issues. We currently have fixed half of the internet issues and do have WiFi available in all commons areas, all of the time. We are still working with an internet trouble shooting company to figure out why the access is being limited inside the guest rooms. Please be assured that we are working diligently to fix these issues. We can't wait to see you again in the future, after we have these issues resolved.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Based on the reviews here, I was looking forward to a great stay at the Castillo Real last November. Rooms were nice enough, but the fact that our view was strictly onto the parking lot made it into an average hotel for me, not a great one.

But the true surprise was my very bad experience with customer service:
I had left a lightweight cotton jersey T-shirt behind, phoned them up twice about it, and the second time they had found it and volunteered to mail it to me. Great! Asking about reimbursement for their shipping costs, they said, "no problem, we have your credit card on file". I got the T-shirt a few days later, and there never was a charge on my card.

So I figured it was all part of customer service - like I ship things to my customers when they leave things behind in my store, and I just pay for the $ 6-8 priority mail shipping out of our business account without asking the customer for reimbursement - it sure makes the customer very happy - and they happily come back to shop with us :)

Not so with Castillo Real: 10 days ago, which was 3 months after my stay, I got a phone call from a Castillo representative, being rather irritated and urgent, saying that there is "something wrong" with my credit card, and that FedEx couldn't charge my card for the $36.19 shipment, and that i need to clear up that open account with them.
That was the first thing I ever heard about it... it took them 3 months?

I was speechless as to the amount and said that $36.19 is an outrageous charge for shipping a lightweight T-shirt from Florida to New Mexico and that i will not authiorize such a charge to my account. I got a snippy answer, "that's just how we do it", and that i should talk to the manager if I didn't like it. Then she hung up on me.

I let it go, but 3 days later, I see that Castillo Real charged $36.19 to my my card - against my clear direction not to do so! They must have played with my new expiration date and figured out how to use the card again after the old expiration date of 11/11.

There are 2 serious transgressions here:
1.) to share my credit card number with another company, FedEx. They were NOT authorized to do that.
2.) to then go ahead a few days ago, play around with my card, and just charge an amount I had specifically forbidden them from charging.

I found remedy by alerting my credit card company: they agreed that $8.00 is a reasonable fee for mailing a T-Shirt, and they refunded me the charges beyond that - and they will collect it back from Castillo Real.

I would have gladly paid a nice tip to an employee, and a reasonable shipping fee, but this totally unprofessional behavior and outrageous charge makes me speak up and let other customers know about it. Shame on Castillo Real! They missed the boat. I will not be back.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Annette R
I am sorry that you felt the customer service you received was not to your likings. Unfortunately, with the amount of items that guests leave behind on a daily basis, it is just not cost effective for us to cover the costs of shipping all of that back to the customer. We did immediately ship the item per your request. We did inform you that your card would be charged for this shipping. Since that time we were dealing with FEDEX, as they said that your card was not chargable. Only after many attempts of trying to get FEDEX to charge you, did we finally contact you, to inform you that we would need to charge you to cover the bill the hotel was incurring to ship your item back. We have no way of limiting what FEDEX is charging you for the shipment that you authorized us to return to you. I do apologize that you felt we were not helpful under these circumstances.
Melrose, Florida
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We spent Valentines night here, after finding an excellent rate on their web site. We have stayed here before, & will continue to do so. When we checked in, the clerk was on the phone & was doing her best to finish the call, finalizing a reservation for someone. She did a nice job with us.
Perhaps an inexpensive breakfast could be offered...
We were in room 201, & we really liked the floor plan. The layout of the rooms overall is nice as well, as they are not all lined up in a row as in some other properties. Some are tucked into out of the way spots.
Keep up the good work, Ascend!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank redbird02
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. We truely do appreciate it. We are so happy that you were able to enjoy your Valentines Day with us. Thanking for recognizing that the Front Desk staff member was doing her best to multitask at a busy time. We are so glad that you chose to come back and we hope to see you again soon.
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We checked in for a weekend stay near the beach. We were pleasantly surprised with the hotel. The room was large with a huge walk in shower. It was well kept with lovely furnishings and a sitting area. We didn't try the restaurant until the morning we left. My husband had an omelet and I had the blueberry crepes. It was delicious and beautifully presented. The service was top notch. We ordinarily skip the hotel restaurants. But, I am glad we didn't. This was the best breakfast we've had in quite some time. Even a power outage the night we checked in didn't mar our stay. We'll be back!

2 Thank Melliekelley
We are so glad to here that you were pleasantly surprised by our hotel. We absolutely LOVE to hear that. I do apologize for the power outage, but thank you for realizing that it was beyond our control and we were doing everything that we could to restore it as quickly as possible. We hope to see you again soon to help you make more wonderful memories of our beautiful area.
Lorain, Ohio
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We only stayed here for one night while we toured the St Augustine area, but it was worth driving out of town to be so close to the beach. The only problem we had was that we arrived just as the elevator repairman was fixing the one elevator in the place. Fortunately, we were only on the second floor, but it was not the best way to start our visit. The room itself was very large and clean and the hotel itself was very quiet. We had a roadside view, but the road was not terribly busy in late January. We especially liked the proximity for a beach walk in the morning. If we were in the area again, we would come back to this hotel.

1 Thank VEC24
RDealaney, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this review, 12 February 2012
First I would like to apologize for the elevator issues. We were trying to get it repaired as quickly as possible. Also, we are glad that you enjoyed your room and our hotel's location to the beach and area attractions. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in town.
Grosse Ile, Michigan
Reviewed 8 February 2012

The hotel is well maintained, staff is friendly and helpful, area restaurants are close and location is great - only 50 yards from beach access. I recommend to all.

1 Thank john a
We would like to thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and hotel and your recommendation to future guests. We hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I have never been so pleasantly surprised when booking a hotel! This place was fantastic!!! The decor is beautiful, very clean, nice big rooms, big shower, nice vanity area, 2-3 minute walk to the beach, short distance from downtown...I could go on & on! Honestly, I adored this place! It just has so much character! Not like your usual, boring hotel chains. Plus, the rates are great! I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank teresalew
We are so happy our property surprised you in a good way. We are always thrilled to hear when people find us and are happy about their discovery. We hope to see you again in the near future, so we may help you and your family make many more wonderful memories. Thank you again for your kind words.