Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
TheUnknownFranklin
Pottsville, Pennsylvania

Stay here! Don't skip it!

Review of Castillo Real
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jun 6, 2024via mobile
You may have read some negative reviews of this place but I for one have nothing but good to say about it! You should stay here! Don't let the criticism of petty little hotel expectations let you miss out on a fantastic hotel.

Yes, there is construction happening on the first floor and yes, if you stay here you should try and get a room on the top floor for the lest amount of noise. I was on the top, Fourth floor and heard nothing at all. The construction happening is necessary and the other floors look great! Even the lobby entrance is beautiful! When they are done with the construction and they circle back and touch up all the rooms to perfection this hotel is going to be gold. I think it's great though that it's still running now for people like me to enjoy!

I loved my room. It was very clean and spacious ! It had a few tiny quirks and needs a little touch up here and there... but it's juxtaposed against some really fantastic elements to the room! The shower and headboard were spectacular! The porch I had was also truly extraordinary! The porch facing the ocean was the garnish on top for me, I absolutely loved it!

The whole pool area is excellent too. Way nicer than most standard hotels. They even have a fancy restaurant on the first floor that is super nice!

I was supposed to stay five nights but had to leave three days early due to a family emergency. And the hotel was more than happy to refund three days worth of the payment I gave Expedia when booked. And on that note let me also say how delightful and extremely professional the front desk staff are! And this is true at all hours of the night.

The beach is basically right behind the hotel and there are so many great restaurants within walking distance. I plan on coming back soon and when I do I plan on staying here again.
Date of stay: June 2024
Room Tip: Due to renovations, the overflow parking lot has some construction equipment and prep going on...
Trip type: Travelled solo
Hotel Manager, Owner at Castillo Real, responded to this review
Responded Jun 7, 2024
Dear Franklin,

Thank you for your detailed and enthusiastic review! We are thrilled to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your understanding regarding the construction on the first floor. It's great to know that your stay was peaceful on the top floor and that you found the lobby and other floors impressive.

We're delighted that you loved your clean and spacious room, especially the shower, headboard, and ocean-facing porch. We're also pleased to hear that you enjoyed our pool area and the on-site restaurant.

We strive to provide excellent service at all times. We're glad we could accommodate your early departure and process your refund smoothly.We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another fantastic stay!

Entrance
  • Algotels
0.8 km from Castillo Real
View more hotels in Saint Augustine Beach
1,044 results
All reviews hotel restaurant steam room beautiful hotel ocean view large shower short walk to the beach third floor definitely stay here again late check pool and hot tub cucina lobby augustine proximity amphitheater pier
Selected filters
Reviewed May 10, 2024

A small hotel that wants to be a resort.

Pros: Close to the beach and rooms are clean and comfortable.

Cons: under construction; very uncomfortable pool chairs; hot tub is broken down. People come in off the streets to use the pool.

Overall, you get what you’d expect from an inexpensive hotel. The only staff that are friendly are the cleaning crew! I called the front desk for coffee creamer and they hung up on me.

The restaurant in the hotel is a hidden gem! Consistently good food and service.

If you’re looking for an inexpensive, no frills hotel, then this may be for you.

Date of stay: May 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Hotel Manager, Owner at Castillo Real, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2024

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel's close proximity to the beach and found the rooms clean and comfortable. We apologize for the inconveniences caused by the ongoing construction and the issues with the pool and hot tub. We will address these concerns promptly. We appreciate your kind words about our restaurant and the consistent quality of our food and service. Thank you for choosing our hotel and we hope to have the opportunity to improve your experience in the future.

Reviewed May 6, 2024

We stayed here for one night. It was just to sleep while visiting family in town. How bad could it be? We checked in with Felicia. Not a friendly reception at all. The next morning my boyfriend takes a bath in the big spa in the room. This is normally a real treat for him. He is a master plumber. He immediately found that the jets did not work and that the pump was likely frozen. A potentially very dangerous situation for someone in the tub. That was only the only real potential positive for this hotel as it felt old and dirty.
We are ready to walk out of the room to check out. It's 10:58 am (check out is 11 am). There is a knock at the door and what I believe was a Russian gentlemen stands there and rudely asks when we are leaving. It's technically not even time yet!! In the literally hundreds and hundreds of hotel stays I have had that has never happened. I was shocked. We said we are leaving we just had to pick our stuff up. We shut the door and hurry to do so. It wasn't until we were about 15 minutes away that we realized in our hurry that my boyfriend left this extremely nice, unique bracelet I had just bought him. We immediately called and talked to the manager Brendan who was nice but said they did not find anything. He may have not but I am very comfortable in that the cleaners did. We both saw it on the bedstand right before the gentlemen knocked on the door. Not only are they rude but I strongly believe they stole from us. What a disappointment.

Room tip: Don't stay there.
Date of stay: November 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Hotel Manager, Owner at Castillo Real, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2024

Dear Guest,

We are distressed to see your comments. Your feedback is important to us. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

The entire points you have observed will be investigated and necessary actions will be taken.

We shall appreciate your kind understanding. Please visit us again.

Reviewed May 1, 2024 via mobile

I stayed for three months in the US. When booking a hotel, I was looking at every time for a gym. So did I at this hotel. But surprise surprise.- there was no gym because of renovation. Why don’t they tell that at the hotel site? And everything at the hotel looks a little bit older.

Date of stay: May 2024
Trip type: Travelled solo
Hotel Manager, Owner at Castillo Real, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2024

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the gym renovation.
We appreciate your understanding and hope you enjoyed the proximity to the beach during your stay.

Reviewed April 23, 2024

We have stayed here 2-3 times prior to our stay this past weekend. I booked the room back in January. First of all, the rate had dropped about $50 for the night since I booked. But more importantly, I was not notified that the resort was undergoing construction/remodeling ahead of time as we would have probably cancelled. Our room was on the third floor, ocean side, clearly still unfinished and sparse furnishings. Additionally, I was informed at check in there was now a $10 charge to park. Also not disclosed ahead of time. There was literally zero communication directly with anyone via email at this resort as I tried. This is supposedly turning into a Hilton Tapestry chain which is no big deal but very disappointed in this visit regardless. Not sure I would return.

Room tip: Maybe wait until next year
Date of stay: April 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Hotel Manager, Owner at Castillo Real, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2024

Dear Jenny,

I am distressed to see your comments. My apologies for all the bad experiences you had. We never want our guests to go back due to an unpleasant stay. The entire point will be investigated, and necessary actions will be taken. We are taking ample steps to ensure the comfort of our guests. You can be sure of a fine stay with us. Please visit us again.

Reviewed April 22, 2024

I was really disappointed with my stay. I had called the month before to insure the pool would be open during renovations and that it wouldn’t be loud. I had told them it was my anniversary and wanted it to be nice. I was reassured that my concerns would not be a problem. They put us in an unfinished room that smelled so bad. There was no light in the bathroom except for a very dim floor lamp. There were no shelves for towels, no towel racks, no where to put anything in the bathroom. We had told the front desk at arrival about the smell but was offered no solution and at checkout expressed my disappointment with the room. I was expecting to hear from management but considering it’s been over a week I’m assuming that won’t happen.

Date of stay: April 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Hotel Manager, Owner at Castillo Real, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2024

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to learn about all the inconvenience you had to endure.
Our sincere apologies.
We care about your experience and I realize no words can change your feelings of disappointment or the inconveniences you experienced. We have taken serious note of your observations. The entire points will be investigated to take appropriate actions.
You will have a nice stay next time. Request your understanding.